PDA

View Full Version : HID Kits

JShannon
06-04-11, 10:35 AM
As the old M.O.T date get closer, i was wondering are these lights road legal i.e will they pass an m.o.t?

Car will be reassembled at the end of the month and wouldnt mind fitting one because if i remember rightly, my headlights were shockingly poor!

Also, any reviews or info on kits anyone has used before??

Thanks

Joe:thumb:

mowgli
06-04-11, 10:48 AM
this will be interesting. are the mot stations in NI still all govt run?? just stick with the original bulbs till after the mot, and ask the tester what he thinks...

General Baxter
06-04-11, 10:52 AM
wont pass in a nova, there will be no beam pattern

JShannon
06-04-11, 10:53 AM
Yes mowgli, all stations still govt run. Pain in the backside if you ask me! suppose that could be done, wouldnt mind doing everything to the car tho and then just driving it! knowing me, if it gets motd with the standard bulbs, then standard bulbs it will have all year lol cheers

JShannon
06-04-11, 10:54 AM
Not doubting you, but is that a 100% fact baxter yeah?

Even with new hedlights?

Cheers

mowgli
06-04-11, 10:58 AM
you could get some small spotlights... and they would be cheaper than hids..

JShannon
06-04-11, 10:59 AM
mk2 though???

Havnt really seen any nice examples...

Joe

General Baxter
06-04-11, 11:01 AM
how about buying some new lights and fitting new bulbs ?

looking at your headlights, you have tinted ones lol

mowgli
06-04-11, 11:02 AM
look at modern cars..... even the last model of the L200 truck had bumpewr mounted aux. lights that could easily be fitted to a nova.

General Baxter
06-04-11, 11:04 AM
http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps
(http://www.ukpoliceonline.co.uk/index.php?/topic/43705-aftermarket-hidxenon-kits/)

JShannon
06-04-11, 11:12 AM
mowgli - time for a hunt round the scrapyard i think! Thankyou

Baxter- Thanks for the link, very helpful. Cheers

Joe:thumb:

General Baxter
06-04-11, 11:13 AM
rep me bitch lol

Jack
06-04-11, 11:16 AM
That link ^ is mostly rubbish tbh.

HIDs are nothing to do with the MOT. Beam pattern IS though, so a Nova with OEM glass and HIDs will fail.
UK law says nothing about whether or not HIDs are illegal, but EU regs state you will need headlight washers and auto-levellers (the latter of which depends on the beam pattern though). Most EU regs have dates when they come into force though, and those ones are fairly new - consider if you fitted a 1989 XE engine into your Nova, you don't need to do the modern emissions test. Similar thing would be applied to HIDs.

There's no real point going into the hows and whys of the legalities of it though, as on a Nova the beam pattern is awful so its not recommended

[edit] as for the DFT bit, lol @ baxter and his gakky link, thats also toss in the most part.

General Baxter
06-04-11, 11:24 AM
2011 VOSA changes to MOT

From MOT from December 2011, the below changes will come into force,

HID lights – Specifically those aftermarket kits that give the very bright headlight beams. Any cars found with these kits will be an automatic MOT failure. Testers are able to easily spot the difference between HID kits, and manufacturer fitted Xenon’s. Easy to spot as Xenon cars have suspension level sensors, in car beam adjuster, and usually headlight washers.

Wiring harness – The general condition of he wiring harness will be checked to make sure there is no rubbing or chaffing, and that the harnesses are in generally good condition. If unsecure, or damaged again MOT failure.

Airbag warning lights - If any warning lights are illuminated, it will again be an MOT failure.

Full details on the MOTester site

im having a google fit lol

JShannon
06-04-11, 11:25 AM
Baxter - I already have lol

Jack - Cheers, was waiting on a reply from you tbh, so its a no then, ile just try and find some spot lights to mount on the bumper/grille as mike suggested!

Thanks everyone, rep added where possible

Joe

Jack
06-04-11, 12:09 PM
If you want better light output from the standard lamps, consider some uprated bulbs - Halfords +50% are good, PIAA are good but expensive!

im having a google fit lol
Baxter, stop reposting inaccurate durge from the internet lol

General Baxter
06-04-11, 08:49 PM
Baxter, stop reposting inaccurate durge from the internet lol

i got my rep so meh lol

Welsh Dan
06-04-11, 09:20 PM
If you want better light output from the standard lamps, consider some uprated bulbs - Halfords +50% are good, PIAA are good but expensive!l

To get the most from uprated bulbs, you'll also need to do something like this:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/relays/relays.html

I put a meter on a friends XE nova, 14.something V at the battery terminals while running, 11.something V at the bulb terminals lol.

mowgli
06-04-11, 09:25 PM
my brother had a mk1 scirocco.. it had twin headlamps, and a pair of 7" raydyot fireballs with 100w h3's in it.. it would stall the car if he turned them all on at low revs.. but at full speed, it was ok.. there was a 90deg bend followed by a mile straight to our house... and i always knew when he was coming home cos they cast a shadow thru my bedroom curtains as he rounded the bend.. that thing caused sunburn..

Stuart
06-04-11, 10:01 PM
That link ^ is mostly rubbish tbh.

HIDs are nothing to do with the MOT. Beam pattern IS though, so a Nova with OEM glass and HIDs will fail.
UK law says nothing about whether or not HIDs are illegal, but EU regs state you will need headlight washers and auto-levellers (the latter of which depends on the beam pattern though). Most EU regs have dates when they come into force though, and those ones are fairly new - consider if you fitted a 1989 XE engine into your Nova, you don't need to do the modern emissions test. Similar thing would be applied to HIDs.

There's no real point going into the hows and whys of the legalities of it though, as on a Nova the beam pattern is awful so its not recommended

[edit] as for the DFT bit, lol @ baxter and his gakky link, thats also toss in the most part.

EU regs only apply IF the vehicle is NEW, not what the parts came off/go on.

Jack
07-04-11, 08:59 AM
EU regs only apply IF the vehicle is NEW, not what the parts came off/go on.
Thats what I thought, as per the emissions regulations. So the DFT quoting them is a bit pointless then; although I'm sure it says something like "new vehicles have to comply with these regs, so old ones should too". Spakkers lol