PDA

View Full Version : c20xe stalls under laod

richi
05-04-11, 04:48 PM
right changed the battery on the nova now the car will start but as soon as you put your foot on the throttle it will slowly stall, i was told it was prob a earth fault , someone told me to check the earth to the fuel rail but i cant find it, the only earths there are, are from the battery to the inside of the firewall (dont think thats the right name for it the partion between the engine and the where the battery is, has a rubber strip all the way across it to stop the bonnet hitting it) then another one form a bolt that hold the suspension in (it also holds the strut brace) to the alternator arm, are these earths correct?????

thanks for any help just want to get the nova running again the bus aint no fun lol

swedge
05-04-11, 05:17 PM
there should be an alternator earth, a couple earths bolted to near the fuel rail im sure and 1 on the gearbox to chassis

Tony M
05-04-11, 05:22 PM
There should be one earth from the battery to the fire wall as you explained. An earth on the alternator bracket where the alternator bolts too and where the alternator bracket is connected to the engine. Gearbox to the inside passenger chassis leg and as you look into the engine bay there should be 2 black wires (earths) sat on top, on the right of the fuel rail. I think there maybe should be a 3rd earth to the left also but got told mine didn't have this being as its the 20XE. Hope this helps.

richi
05-04-11, 05:24 PM
thanking you will have a look tonight as i think there is a few missing and thats me problem, would anyone say it sounds like a bad earth is my problem?

also where would you buy the earth cables from as mine looked like steel straps

Tony M
05-04-11, 05:32 PM
thanking you will have a look tonight as i think there is a few missing and thats me problem, would anyone say it sounds like a bad earth is my problem?

also where would you buy the earth cables from as mine looked like steel straps

Just go round your Mum's house and chop up her speaker wire to her hifi lol . Well if you haven't got earth's in them places then its a good place to start mate.

richi
06-04-11, 06:31 PM
right put all the earths in that where missing anyone know where else to start looking, the car will rev up if you feed the revs in slowly but when you put the throttle down at a normal speed it will stutter and stall,

also what does the black knob that turns on the fuel rail what is that for?

Tony M
06-04-11, 08:12 PM
also what does the black knob that turns on the fuel rail what is that for?[/QUOTE]

The black knob, is it like a dust cap that is on top of the fuel rail? If so then that is used to bleed to fuel through the fuel rail. If you take the cap/knob off then you'll find a valve which you simply press like a push bike valve.

Edit : How is the car behaving on idle?

richi
07-04-11, 06:54 PM
yeah dust cap was the good way to describe it was just wondering if i had disturbed it somehow, but guess not

it revs at around 2000rpm which is alot higher than usual for it

richi
08-04-11, 07:27 PM
anyone?

Tony M
10-04-11, 02:09 PM
Has the throttle body been messed around with at all? I know the coolant temp sensor causes all sorts of problems.

shed-on-wheels
10-04-11, 04:25 PM
i had a problem like this on my c20xe it was the tps in the end mate

richi
11-04-11, 06:08 PM
tps?

i had problems with it before as it was overfuelling so i changed the cts but didnt make a difference still overfuels, will have to check that the cable isnt broken

Tony M
11-04-11, 08:22 PM
Throttle position sensor

richi
13-04-11, 09:42 PM
where is that located?

done a cheeky bit of research and it sounds positive might give it a try thanks