PDA

View Full Version : Brake problems.

MK1_Ben
04-04-11, 07:13 PM
My handbrake has the tendency to sometimes stick partially on, this has been happening the past couple weeks or so, but I don't know if this would have anything to do with it.

Car has been fine, got into it this morning and the first 20% of the brake pedal travel seems to be all on the "spring" whereas the rest of feels to be pushing the brakes. They brake fine after this first 20% however, they don't need pumping, and pumping them makes no difference to the braking.

Any suggestions as to what it may be?

mowgli
04-04-11, 08:08 PM
re the handbrake, is it sticking at the lever or the rear end??

re the brakes, basically, remove the rear drums, clean everything, grind the lip off the drums, lube the adjusters with copper slip, readjust the shoes, put it back together, then re-blead it all. the brakes will be way better.

MK1_Ben
04-04-11, 08:35 PM
Handbrake's fine, just a shagged cable etc which I'm due to replace, just didn't know if it would have damaged anything else causing the pedal to mess up.

@brakes; that's the plan for the weekend anyway :)

Lewis.
04-04-11, 08:51 PM
as mowgli said, the shoes will need adjusting. mine was just the same when I bought it

MK1_Ben
04-04-11, 09:40 PM
as mowgli said, the shoes will need adjusting. mine was just the same when I bought it

Cheers for confirming.

Consulted my Dad who's more in the know than me and he said it's probably a problem with the rear shoes.

Might just rebuild the rear-brakes with new parts at the weekend, it's been on my list since I got the car.

mowgli
04-04-11, 10:09 PM
it probably won't need new bits.. they have a habit of the brake dust, getting between the lining & drum, and as its mostly carbon, like graphite, which is a great lubricant, the linings simply won't grip.. when i used a nova as a daily, i did them every 6 months or so.

MK1_Ben
04-04-11, 10:28 PM
What I meant is, except for the shoes, the rest is probably 10+ years old :)

mowgli
05-04-11, 07:37 AM
my stuff is 21 years old, ok the car has only done 12k, but they are fine.