PDA

View Full Version : mounting a cone filter on an e16se

mowgli
04-04-11, 12:45 PM
i have acquired a cone filter with an afm/ecu for my gte engine, but it didn't have any bracketry to mount it. appears to be a pipercross
anyone got a pic of the mount bracket for these?

i have been thinking of mounting it on the engine up near the cambelt cover so the flexi pipe doesn't have to move... any ideas on this too.

Iain
04-04-11, 12:48 PM
You have the round-to-square adapter to go with it?

Usually it's an L shaped bracket that uses a few threads on the AFM and the holes in the inner wing?

If you're using an airbox now though I'd fit a panel filter and maybe drill it, I hear this is better and mine sounded nice with that done.

mowgli
04-04-11, 01:06 PM
the airbox will be going into storage, as according to ebay, i'll be able to retire by selling one of those in a few years...

i have never seen the point in drilling an air filter box, if the 2" hole in the end, which is larger than the air flap can't get enough air in, then a few drill holes won't do much.... apart from make noise..

the filter actually has the adaptor as part of it, it is a well made ally trumpet. it isn't that loud when the bonnet is up & i rev it, but as i can't bolt it down yet, i haven't tried driving it, so i don't know on the noise on the road .

John
04-04-11, 01:37 PM
How come your fitting a cone filter? I was lead to believe that the standard derestricted air box was better than cone filters on the gte. :)

mowgli
04-04-11, 01:46 PM
How come your fitting a cone filter? I was lead to believe that the standard derestricted air box was better than cone filters on the gte. :) this is news to me.. where did this come from?? the std airbox is a mess of angles inside

i have the filter for nowt, and the std airbox is an absolute pain to do anything with (ie. undoing it, swapping the element etc), i could easily create a decent cold air feed to the cone from behine the grille

John
04-04-11, 01:59 PM
Tv did a feature many moons ago, they put an e16se on the rollers with a standard, then just panel filter, then a cone and finally a derestricted box with a panel filter. Iirc the cone made 2 bhp, the derestricted box made 10 bhp iirc.

bazil
04-04-11, 02:06 PM
K+N panel filter in the air box it's the way to go,in some cases the cone filter causes poor running due to co values not being adjusted to suit.

John
04-04-11, 02:11 PM
The airbox derestriction consisted of making a large air entry hole with suitable feed and taking all the sharp edges/bends out of the inside of the box.

Iain
04-04-11, 02:15 PM
http://www.tomstickland.co.uk/astra/astradata/gdata.htm

Amazingly I have an almost-new K&N panel filter for a 1.6 airbox for sale. What a coincidence huh.

mowgli
04-04-11, 02:22 PM
The airbox derestriction consisted of making a large air entry hole with suitable feed and taking all the sharp edges/bends out of the inside of the box.

so 2 x 90deg bends were better than a cone & a smoothed trumpet?? amazing. what engine adjustments were made?

L14MNP
04-04-11, 02:27 PM
so 2 x 90deg bends were better than a cone & a smoothed trumpet?? amazing. what engine adjustments were made?

Chav. lol You just want it for the induction roar don't you. :p

An enclosed airbox is going to be better than a cone exposed to heat soak too.

mowgli
04-04-11, 02:30 PM
it doesn't exactly roar when fitted...

i'm more than prepared to sort out a cool air box, and have a huge selection of plastic pipe (in our groundwork construction firm's yard)... but as always, trying to find proper info out on 1.6's is really difficult..

anyone got the tv article & a scanner & prepared to send me a copy????

John
04-04-11, 02:31 PM
Yes so they said. Engine was standard apart from an exhaust iirc.

John
04-04-11, 02:39 PM
Have a read through iains link, v interesting. Will see if I can find that old tv next time I'm in the loft.

Jack
04-04-11, 02:49 PM
An enclosed airbox is going to be better than a cone exposed to heat soak too.
Heat soak isn't really so much of an issue on a non-intercooled engine once its moving. And even if inlet temps do go up, its pretty easy to rig up a chute for cool air

Edd
04-04-11, 04:09 PM
Bracket should be like this

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr359/EDDRODGERS/5cfc75c9.jpg

This is a pipercross filter kit for e16se

mowgli
04-04-11, 04:27 PM
ta edd.

Edd
04-04-11, 04:34 PM
Can get you a better pic tomorrow if you like ?

mowgli
04-04-11, 04:44 PM
no, that one is fine, the e16se afm/ecu is bigger & the flexi pipe is smaller.. so i'm going to get my thinking cap on..if i mount it on the front end of the engine & i then replace the flexi with a smooth pipe, i reckon there would be an improvement in flow to the tb.... time for some messing about, sorry, R&D

tommy8252
05-04-11, 08:06 AM
Bracket should be like this

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr359/EDDRODGERS/5cfc75c9.jpg

This is a pipercross filter kit for e16se

That is very pretty edd, must've taken ages.

mowgli
05-04-11, 10:10 AM
i bet it doesn't look so pretty since the trouble getting it started......

Mazz
05-04-11, 12:03 PM
Here's the bracket off Tina Pipercross E16

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/mrmazz/Tinas%20car/CIMG2975Small.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/mrmazz/Tinas%20car/CIMG2987Small.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/mrmazz/Tinas%20car/mount.jpg

mowgli
05-04-11, 12:16 PM
Ta.

i'm still tempted to try & turn it sideways on & mount it off the front cover area..... i'm probably up a blind alley there, but i'll have to have a play..

any ideas if the afm flap needs to be a certain way up?? its on a spring, so shouldn't be too bad

Edd
05-04-11, 01:27 PM
i bet it doesn't look so pretty since the trouble getting it started......
lol

Not as bad as it could of been tbh, cam housing got scratched but I'm swapping that for a fresh painted one with the standard cam in it

I'll put some recent pics up soon

GRUNT 16V
05-04-11, 01:54 PM
I have a genuine KN airflow metre mounting bracket with rubber mounts at home doing nothing
pm me !