PDA

View Full Version : BT Infinity...

Nova_Tek
01-04-11, 08:26 PM
... anyone got/used it?

They are pretty much the same price as Virgin Media on an equivalent package (Virgin - 30Mb Speed + Line rental = £31) (BT - 40Mb Speed + Line Rental = £32).

I have a BT line at home and have Virgin Cable TV & Telephone too.

I know Virgin do throttle their speeds at busy times but BT only do this if you exceed their monthly download limit (40GB on their lowest package).

Just wanna know what their service is like? I know loadsa people on Virgin but don't know anyone on Infinity yet.
:thumb:

Nova_Tek
04-04-11, 07:50 PM
Nobody used BT fibre optic broadband then?

Pistol Pete
04-04-11, 08:04 PM
What speeds are they quoting?? IIRC it is only fibre optic to the exchange. Still naff old copper wire to your house.

EDIT: lol @ BT saying 40mb....seriously?

Nova_Tek
04-04-11, 08:23 PM
They quoted me between 31Mb - 34Mb. My current ADSL service which is upto 8Meg gets me 800k-1Mb due to old copper wire and distance from exchange. I specifically asked BT if I'll have the same problem and explained my situation. They said that I wont have that issue as it's totally different to ADSL. I know it's FTTC (Fibre to the cabinate) but even Virgin do FTTC. Only if it's a totally new building do they do FTTH (Fibre to the home).

Pistol Pete
04-04-11, 08:38 PM
They quoted me between 31Mb - 34Mb. My current ADSL service which is upto 8Meg gets me 800k-1Mb due to old copper wire and distance from exchange. I specifically asked BT if I'll have the same problem and explained my situation. They said that I wont have that issue as it's totally different to ADSL. I know it's FTTC (Fibre to the cabinate) but even Virgin do FTTC. Only if it's a totally new building do they do FTTH (Fibre to the home).

Hmmmm, you sure?? Didnt Virgin take over NTL's network of cables?? Hence why when you have Virgin they dig the path/front garden up if you are a new customer lol

My house is nearly 30 years old, and i'm pretty sure i have FTTH. How else can i average 9mb, when on BT's ****ty line i struggled with anything over 2mb.

Nova_Tek
04-04-11, 08:44 PM
Just going on what I've read to be honest mate. At the end of the day it's fibre optic so it's bound to be better than ADSL. The cabinate is literally 120m from my home so I can only guess it'll be much better than 2.5km of old copper wire.

Edd
04-04-11, 10:29 PM
We will get that down here in about 10 years lol

Jack
04-04-11, 10:40 PM
That soon?! lol

Nova_Tek
04-04-11, 11:50 PM
My area's pretty good for broadband. Have pretty much all providers ADSL2+ ISP's, BT infinity, even Virgin 100Mb.