PDA

View Full Version : High Maintenance Novas, C20XE Dailys

16v-xe
01-04-11, 04:46 PM
Been looking for an c20xe Nova, only issue i have is that if i had any big problems i'd be struggling to free up the cash for any repairs after insurance. I know that Novas are getting 'old' as such and the shell might need the odd bit here and there but has anyone had any issues with running a c20xe as a daily driver ? Also what are the common problems with the engines ? I'm looking to spend 1500 - 2000, could push a bit more. Looking through ads it seems reasonable but never owned a Nova and the few people i know with c20xe engines have had issues (only minor, engine mounts etc) Also do you think my budget can pick one up which has been seam welded, uprated drive shafts etc, all the proper treatment. Cheers

Jack
01-04-11, 04:50 PM
For that money you could build one yourself and make sure its all done to the standard you require :)

As for using one as a daily - they're fine, I ran mine semi-regularly for just under a year with the 2.0 in and it was Ok. Obviously if you drive at a bazillion-rpm everywhere then it will break, but so long as the install was done to a good standard and its kept maintained then you should have no problem. And you'll get good MPG as well.

mk1nova_rich
01-04-11, 04:56 PM
If you find a decent XE its probably one of the better engines to have in a daily Nova, engine mounts are often overlooked during conversions..fit some decent mounts firts time round and you won't have any trouble. For a standard XE it won't need super duper shafts etc. Just service it regularly and keep an eye on everything and it will be fine.

Welcome to PNG anyway :)

16v-xe
01-04-11, 04:58 PM
That's one more c20xe nova sold then :) Minters seem to start around 3k so would proably benefit from waiting longer and pay that bit more. It will be driven steady really, put my foot down on occasion but don't boot it everywhere.
Am i right in saying they're 170 - 180 bhp engines ? What sort of top speed and 0 - 60 figures do they give out ?
What sort of mpg ?

Insurance is pricey, over 2k a year. Worth it ? I could get something else and insure it for very cheap but it wouldn't put a smile on my face like a nova will.

swedge
01-04-11, 05:00 PM
150bhp when they left the factory

16v-xe
If you find a decent XE its probably one of the better engines to have in a daily Nova, engine mounts are often overlooked during conversions..fit some decent mounts firts time round and you won't have any trouble. For a standard XE it won't need super duper shafts etc. Just service it regularly and keep an eye on everything and it will be fine.

Welcome to PNG anyway :)

Nice one, cheers. Only other I've looked at is a a 're-shelled gsi' think it's a merit on the books, clean and affordable but the c20xe seems a better option.

16v-xe
& thanks for the welcome too

mowgli
xe is officially 150-155hp, but on modern fuel & with age, its nearer 140hp.

7 and a bit seconds 0-60

mk1nova_rich
01-04-11, 05:02 PM
2K insurance on a XE'd Nova. At 20 I'd be happy with that but depends how old you are.

You should be able to find a decent one for £1500-2000...try find one well known to the forum.

Economy wise they are good, and they are 156bhp out of the box (20XE) and the later C20XE is 150bhp

Jack
01-04-11, 05:04 PM
So unless its low mileage and/or has FSH, expect to have lost as much as 10% of that by now!

A standard XE would be somewhere around 7 seconds 0-60, top speed dunno but it'll happily do 70 lol You can get around 35-40mpg, depending on how you drive it. Don't expect it to be massively fast, it won't be; but then that depends on what you're used to.

Now await all the "wow XE novaz r so fast dey spin da wurld backwoods yo" posts lol

[edit] forgot to say, they can handle pretty well too if they have suitable/decent suspension, which is a must have really.

16v-xe
01-04-11, 05:04 PM
Cheers, thought they were more standard but 150 should be enough in a tin can lol

Angus Closier
01-04-11, 05:05 PM
Cheers, thought they were more standard but 150 should be enough in a tin can lol

Have you ever been in a xe nova?

150bhp is Enough to start with! Make sure its got propper suspension and brakes.....these are poo out the factory!

16v-xe
01-04-11, 05:10 PM
So unless its low mileage and/or has FSH, expect to have lost as much as 10% of that by now!

A standard XE would be somewhere around 7 seconds 0-60, top speed dunno but it'll happily do 70 lol You can get around 35-40mpg, depending on how you drive it. Don't expect it to be massively fast, it won't be; but then that depends on what you're used to.

Now await all the "wow XE novaz r so fast dey spin da wurld backwoods yo" posts lol

[edit] forgot to say, they can handle pretty well too if they have suitable/decent suspension, which is a must have really.

Fastest i've driven is vtec yo ! Didnt quite make the wurld spin backwoods but the power was there. I don't want mad power or speed, it's a road car, i want reliability, reasonable mpg and to be able to pick up speed and dust a chav in his saxo when i want to.

What performance cars can they beat ? (if they can) (scooby, evo etc) Just so i know when to and when not to put my foot down and refrain from looking like a tw4t. I've listened to a few people going on about how their nova beat a scooby or an evo etc but i find it hard to believe. Maybe in a straight line after the power to weight ratio though

Plug
01-04-11, 05:12 PM
just dont buy a let lol un reliable as funk well mine is haha

an xe nova will give a standard scooby a run for its money but wont beat it massively

16v-xe
01-04-11, 05:12 PM
Have you ever been in a xe nova?

150bhp is Enough to start with! Make sure its got propper suspension and brakes.....these are poo out the factory!
Yeah i've been in an xe nova and an xe corsa, it's why i've ended up wanting an xe nova, the one i went in was a bit of a bodge though and was never running right so hard to know whats what

16v-xe
01-04-11, 05:13 PM
just dont buy a let lol un reliable as funk well mine is haha

an xe nova will give a standard scooby a run for its money but wont beat it massively

lol I was looking at LETs but thought i'd spend more time under it than in it.

mk1nova_rich
01-04-11, 05:14 PM
Compared to most modern hot hatches and jap cars, an XE'd Nova is nothing special...the conversion has been around for years, from when it was a remarkably quick car compated to most things

16v-xe
01-04-11, 05:15 PM
2K insurance on a XE'd Nova. At 20 I'd be happy with that but depends how old you are.

You should be able to find a decent one for £1500-2000...try find one well known to the forum.

Economy wise they are good, and they are 156bhp out of the box (20XE) and the later C20XE is 150bhp
Under 21, but that's with family with lots of ncb on the quote. Wouldn't be a possibility otherwise

Jack
01-04-11, 05:17 PM
An XE Nova would give a standard Evo or Impreza something to think about for a few moments, but won't exactly embarass it.

A 3.0V6 Nova though... that would lol

16v-xe
01-04-11, 05:17 PM
Compared to most modern hot hatches and jap cars, an XE'd Nova is nothing special...the conversion has been around for years, from when it was a remarkably quick car compated to most things
Jap insurance is a killer, i was looking at an Integra but it's almost double. Even my mums 1.6 mazda 3 was more than an XE Nova :S

16v-xe
01-04-11, 05:18 PM
An XE Nova would give a standard Evo or Impreza something to think about for a few moments, but won't exactly embarass it.

A 3.0V6 Nova though... that would lol

Don't put that idea in my head please lol

mk1nova_rich
01-04-11, 05:18 PM
Until it got to a corner and carried on into the field lol

cossienova
01-04-11, 05:20 PM
Interesting thread! Just taken mine off the road to xe it then it's going to be my daily driver and hopeing it will be economical and reliable.

16v-xe
01-04-11, 05:23 PM
lol Hopefully you only mean the V6. I'm guessing the chassis build on the nova is not quite up to scratch with a scoobys to keep with it on the bends ?

mowgli
01-04-11, 05:24 PM
i hope you like understeer........

16v-xe
01-04-11, 05:25 PM

20XE dizzy, c20xe coilpack ? or something..

Lee H
01-04-11, 05:46 PM
I've ran XE Nova's and Corsa's as dailys for years until recently. Reliability was ok and fuel consumption good and they could be fixed for 50p but not as fast as people like to believe.

My last one was timed at 6 seconds 0-60 at York Raceway but was quicker than all the others I've had so can't really compare to that.

16v-xe
01-04-11, 05:48 PM
I've ran XE Nova's and Corsa's as dailys for years until recently. Reliability was ok and fuel consumption good and they could be fixed for 50p but not as fast as people like to believe.

My last one was timed at 6 seconds 0-60 at York Raceway but was quicker than all the others I've had so can't really compare to that.
Was there a big reason for the change of running an xe daily ? or just preference ? Think i might of seen a vid of yours on youtube ? unless i've got it mixed up with the griffin nova

Lee H
01-04-11, 05:54 PM
Car is too old with no mod cons and doing too many miles, wanted a bit of comfort as I do about 300 miles a week. Also winter takes its toll badly on Novas nowadays and I was sick of welding the thing up.

No vids of mine on YouTube that I'm aware of.

16v-xe
01-04-11, 05:56 PM
Car is too old with no mod cons and doing too many miles, wanted a bit of comfort as I do about 300 miles a week. Also winter takes its toll badly on Novas nowadays and I was sick of welding the thing up.

No vids of mine on YouTube that I'm aware of.
Yeah i do a lot of miles which is the only thing i'm unsure of running a Nova for, I have a garage for the winter but if it's icy i wouldn't want to try and fit it in, will just have to get it prepped early.

Ahh must be the griffin nova then, i recognise the figures from a nova somewhere

16v-xe
01-04-11, 05:57 PM
Other car i've considered is the mk5 astra van, anyone own or driven ? the insurance is soo cheap but i doubt it would be much fun atall

TeddyThom
01-04-11, 06:08 PM

Trust me, I speak from experiance when I say it doesn't have to have a 3.0 V6 in it to do that!!!

Jack
01-04-11, 07:01 PM
Understeer isn't that bad in an XE, I didn't have that much problem with it unless I just threw it into a corner and flailed around with the steering wheel and pedals lol

Adam
01-04-11, 07:13 PM
My XE has never let me down once, and its been fitted a year or two now.
My daily driver (astra sri) 2.0 eco has let me down

Andy
01-04-11, 07:49 PM
My xe let me down in catastrophic circumstances and made me look a cunnt

mk1nova_rich
01-04-11, 07:50 PM
What exactly happened Andy?

16v-xe
01-04-11, 08:23 PM
My xe let me down in catastrophic circumstances and made me look a cunnt
What happened ?

General Baxter
01-04-11, 08:31 PM

dont forget when you fit them into a nova/corsa, they gain 30bhp :p

Ron
01-04-11, 08:59 PM
not a nova but i have just 20xe ed my corsa and it not all what people make it out to be really quite disapointed with it but as said depends what your use it driving

16v-xe
01-04-11, 09:25 PM
not a nova but i have just 20xe ed my corsa and it not all what people make it out to be really quite disapointed with it but as said depends what your use it driving
Tough decision for me really, would be down to the test drive and knowing that it is built how it should be from people on here. I could save a lot of cash by not having one but i do want one

Lewis.
01-04-11, 09:37 PM
Other car i've considered is the mk5 astra van, anyone own or driven ? the insurance is soo cheap but i doubt it would be much fun atall

these are great, get the fancy bollocks sportive thing and they fly, and handle surprisingly well too. a few customers have them and they are great fun on road test lol only slight down side is they are £15k + and also a van

fearless
01-04-11, 09:47 PM
Was one of the first people to convert a C20XE Nova all those years ago and ran it as a daily drive

Didn't have any major problems - nothing that you'd expect from a Nova running a lot more power than standard

Just make sure you run decent engine mounts, don't bodge anything up, and try to run uprated driveshafts/hubs etc

Mine ran for over 5 years before rust took over and I stripped the car

Still got the engine in the workshop :)

16v-xe
01-04-11, 11:34 PM
these are great, get the fancy bollocks sportive thing and they fly, and handle surprisingly well too. a few customers have them and they are great fun on road test lol only slight down side is they are £15k + and also a van
lol I like the 'and also a van' bit
EDIT - ph link removed. but for a basic rundown, just the standard mk5 cdti, 5k ish

mk1nova_rich
01-04-11, 11:38 PM
Ebay and PH links are a no-go fella :thumb:

16v-xe
02-04-11, 12:05 AM
Ebay and PH links are a no-go fella :thumb:
Cheers mate, sorted it :thumb:

Lewis.
02-04-11, 01:51 PM
lol I like the 'and also a van' bit
EDIT - ph link removed. but for a basic rundown, just the standard mk5 cdti, 5k ish

ah right didnt realise they were as cheap as that now, thought you were talking new lol

Benn
02-04-11, 03:49 PM
I ran mine for 3-4 years as a daily car, never had a single prob. Never broke down or failed to start.

Only stopped cause winter user really dont go well with a Nova.

16v-xe
05-04-11, 01:09 PM
ah right didnt realise they were as cheap as that now, thought you were talking new lol
If i had 15k i wouldn't be buying a Nova lol

16v-xe
05-04-11, 01:13 PM
I ran mine for 3-4 years as a daily car, never had a single prob. Never broke down or failed to start.

Only stopped cause winter user really dont go well with a Nova.
I've got a double garage but there's some stupid f*ckin beam in the middle so its a tight fit and wouldnt fancy trying it if theres any ice. Will have to see what's about nearer the time, would love to get one though.

Good to hear that you had 3-4 years out of it, cant be unreliable then when fitted properly. I've never had a lot of faith in conversions, owned one before and it was a pi$$take.

Anyone got a rough idea of mileages that certain things start to have issues ? i'm guessing most people would have the sense to rebuild before conversions though.

mowgli
05-04-11, 01:17 PM
i'm guessing most people would have the sense to rebuild before conversions though.

you'd think so, wouldn't you....

i think most decent nova conversions are, but i wouldn't trust any ebay ad unless there was actual traceable proof of work done.

Novaboyleon
06-04-11, 10:24 PM
well iva had both novas for everyday and redtops for everyday, theres 2 things to mention reall, i wouldnt really like to keep a nova for everyday use anymore specially through the winter if you want to keep it rust free, secondly with redtops both of mine i had to replace the cylinder heads dues to the porous disease, if i was ever to have another redtop id either make sure it comes with a coscast head or that its been sorted to stop the porous problem. you dont want your daily driver to be taken off the road for a new cylinder head!