PDA

View Full Version : Legal advice - pet cat killed by loose dog

craig green
31-03-11, 11:08 PM
I'm just wondering if anyone knows the law re our pet cat being mauled to death on our property by a dog being walked (off lead).

Initially I thought sueing was a bit silly but having been in a pretty upset state about it today I want some justice. :(

MK999
31-03-11, 11:09 PM
Thats shocking :( I would say citizens advice is your best bet to start with?

mowgli
31-03-11, 11:10 PM
was the dog owner present? get the rozzers involved, then the local paper... then press for compo...in this country, you'll get a lollipop & a freetrip to kenya for gbh, but porridge for hurting an animal.

craig green
31-03-11, 11:32 PM
Yeah the owner of the greyhound was walking it past my parents house. Cat was under a hedge where he likes to chill. I guess the hound caught sight of him & bolted accross our fr lawn, chased the cat around the side of our house into back garden & caught him before he could get up a fence. Owner & neighbours couldnt get to them in time & the cat's neck was broken instantly, but then the dog decided to run away with the cat.. His fate was sealed.

I'll tell my folks to report it (if they havent) & hopefully my Dad maybe photographed the corpse (as morbid as it sounds). Koogan was buried under the hedge this morning.
He was a pedigree cat, 15 years old & meant alot to the family & most people that know him tbh. So many people I know ask about his welfare whenever I see them.
Visiting my parents just wont be the same now.

mk1nova_rich
31-03-11, 11:39 PM
I believe you have a good chance of getting the dog put down, if you so Wish...

craig green
31-03-11, 11:43 PM

That'll save me the effort! lol

Mieran
31-03-11, 11:43 PM

Thats just stupid

I'm sorry about your dead cat but its in the dog's genes, thats what they do, same as how cats kill pigeons

Killing a dog because he was doing what dogs do is just ridiculous

MK1_Ben
31-03-11, 11:49 PM
As said above, if you pressed you could get the dog exterminated.

Otherwise anything's possible in small-claims and you could just sue the owners for many things. We were threatened with court action from a Solicitor when our German Shepherd badly injured another dog, fortunately it was dropped in the end as the other dog was being provoked by its owners to growl + snap at ours.

Depends how the Dogs owners are treating the whole situation, as you get some proper rubbish dog owners who either promote/don't care about such things, and you get the ones who genuinely couldn't have stopped it (as Mieran said, it's in a dogs genes, especially a greyhounds to chase small animals).

brainsnova
31-03-11, 11:49 PM
Kick the dog owner in the balls your hardest that should me you feel better.

mk1nova_rich
31-03-11, 11:50 PM
Pigeons are rodents...

The dog was being walked, so is the responsibility of the owner. Should never be walked without a lead in residential areas IMO

Edd
31-03-11, 11:53 PM
Merian, fook that crap you complete fooking tool :mad:

If you have a dog it should be under control at all times

Would you be saying that if it mauled a kid ? I fooking doubt it

Shocking thing to happen Craig, as I said to you yesterday

The cat in question was bread by my mum

Seriously Craig you/your patents need to do something about the shocking event

Dog needs to be put down end of. I will go and do it if needs be.

Owner needs a fooking slap as well which I will gladly do

Wtf did the owner say after all this shizzle went down ???

:mad: this crap has pissed me right off:mad:

Tanya.
01-04-11, 12:08 AM

I was about to say the same about a small kid playing.

I'm not a huge fan of cats but still...what a horrible thing :( I hope you manage to get some justice :)

craig green
01-04-11, 12:10 AM
I'm sorry about your dead cat but its in the dog's genes, thats what they do, same as how cats kill pigeons

I understand it's in a Greyhounds genes, but walking a killer off the lead... there are laws in place to prevent such things happening I'm starting to see.

craig green
01-04-11, 12:14 AM
I'm not a huge fan of cats but still...what a horrible thing :( I hope you manage to get some justice :)

Thanks. As it happens Koogan had so much character that many people that arent cat lovers have said in the past he was rather special. My Dad didnt want him initially, yet he grew to love him & had a cry yesterday apparently. :eek:

cam phone pic of his lordship.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c323/turbocraig/Craigypics/Koogan.jpg

Plug
01-04-11, 12:16 AM
savage sorry to hear the bad news craig,

As said rozzers and get it reported.

Edd
01-04-11, 12:25 AM
Now I've calmed down from a complete nonsense response

Craig, do you know the owner of the dog ?
Do they live in your mums village ?

Tbh, tomorrow the police need telling for starters

Sorry you can't have a dog that mauls cat/kids/anything and have it off the lead, that's iresponsible to say the least

I'd try and get the dog put down legally

If you can't legally get it done you know I would be up for 'sorting' things :d

Like all of the cats my mum bread Cougan had alot of character, I will miss him too :(

Paul
01-04-11, 12:42 AM
Similar thing happened to my cat last year, he was stone deaf so didnt hear the dog coming. I have said to this day if i find the dog (tanned staff) i will kick the (unt out of it. Not been seen since, never seen owner of it either.

Id break the ****ers neck if i found it, thats my advice.

Edd
01-04-11, 12:52 AM
TBH I hate pretty much all dogs

And 90% of dog owners, the ones that let there dogs crap everywhere, bark viciously at everybody, and finally the chav ones that think it 'hard as fook' to have a staffi or whatever there called, fooking coonts the lot of them

There's a large grass area/park which was built when the estate went up can't be used by the neighbourhood kids as it full of dog crap

mrT
01-04-11, 02:33 AM
well it is sad the cat got killed but the dog wont get put down for it, although,the cnut should be reported as im guessing the dog isnt under his/her control and this must be addressed sooner rather than later, most dogs will want to hunt/attack cats/rabbits/rats etc as they are lower in the food chain and are seen as targets so to speak but its the owners duty to control his animal at all times, dont suppose you now what type of dog done it do you craig?

Edd
01-04-11, 03:16 AM
Grayhound iirc

mrT
01-04-11, 05:01 AM
well at least it wasnt a staffie, mine are all ok with cats, im not clued up on greyhounds but, it might have been an ex racing one which has been baited from a pup in see's all little animals the same as the bait (rabbit) its only a wild guess tbh though

Edd
01-04-11, 05:54 AM
but the dog wont get put down for itOne way or another I would say it will be put down/killed ;)

Royston
01-04-11, 06:40 AM
Sad news, and an awful end to your cat, the dog isn't at fault here........but the owner is for not having control of the animal, i.e. on a lead. The dog was only doing what comes naturally.

I'd get the owner put downlol

He would be the focus for retribution, he could well be quite upset over the incident

Edd
01-04-11, 06:57 AM
On reflection your right Royston the owner is the problem

steviegsi
01-04-11, 07:35 AM

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h173/DrunkDwarf/snatch.jpg

Well go on then before ze Germans get there!! lol

Seriously that has to be the most ridiculous thing I've read on here yet. Would be silly enough if it was your cat, but it's clearly f*ck all for you to be getting wound up about.

It was obviously an accident, and the owner has probably learnt his lesson to keep the dog on a lead from now on. Absolutely no reason for the dog to be put down.

I ran over a cat last year when it ran in front of my car one night, should I be put down?

Sorry to hear about your cat though.

Hoochie
01-04-11, 08:24 AM
The dog was being walked, so is the responsibility of the owner. Should never be walked without a lead in residential areas IMO
Deffo a case, the owner is bang out of order, what if that had been a small child playing, i have both a dog and a cat and i wouldn't stop till the owners were prosecuted, and if this happened to either of them.

I really do hope you get this one sorted....:)

Prey
01-04-11, 08:33 AM
Dog put down? ffs.

Owner yes, dog no. Dog only behaves how it knows, if it's never been trained around cats then it's just doing whats natural - hardly a crime punishable by death.

What if it had been a small child? The dog would have probably gone up to it for a fuss - what kind of point is that?!?

I am sorry about your cat tho.

LEWI007
01-04-11, 08:46 AM
Get a solicitor and see what they say, try and go to court and get some money or something out of the owner.

I dont think youll get anything out of having the dog put down, thats nature.

Lee
01-04-11, 08:53 AM
Getting the dog put down would be ridiculous. That would be like the owner of a Hamster trying to have your cat put down after it mauled it to death!

The owner needs to pay though.

bazil
01-04-11, 08:53 AM
I would persue having the dog destroyed!!

I have had 4 rottwilers though my life, NEVER were they involved and an action that resulted in injury to any other animal or human.

It pisses me of to hear people say aye it's ok the dog was only doing what's in it's DNA, bullshoite

GET THE FUKER SLAUGHTERED!

Jack
01-04-11, 08:54 AM
Shoot the dog :)

Or, borrow a staffy and wheel it out next time the greyhound is wandering around. I know of one that has a taste for gnawing other dogs lol

I'm actually a bit surprised, as Greyhounds are usually lazy as feck dogs, unless as said it was an ex-race one.

Hoochie
01-04-11, 08:58 AM
I always thought the same Jack, until Sturge told me that a greyhound tried to kill the dog we have now, said dog grabbed Libby by her throat and shook her like a rag doll and needed a boot to the head to release her, my ex hubby had to have a greyhound destroyed as it bit his wifes little boy also.

Jeff16v
01-04-11, 09:10 AM
Very Sad craig, i love cats (as much as a sick individual can)

I don't think a dag can be put down for killing a cat, only attacking a human.

The owners could be prosecuted though!

so on reflection, kick the dag till it bites you:thumb:

Spudly
01-04-11, 10:22 AM
Craig thats fooking horrible i really feel for you man, my eyes were filling up reading this thread as im an avid cat lover, as said cats are considered lesser animals (iirc you dont need to report it if you run one over with a car but you do if its a dog, wtf?) but id definately be pursuing legal action against the dogs owner, as if it has tendancies to chase smaller animals then why would it go up to a small child 'for a fuss' thats bollox, why is it you always hear of dogs mauling cats and rabbits and children, yet you never hear of a cat mauling a child or a dog do you, fukking horrible sh1t machines most of them, i hope you make the owner pay for what his negligence has caused!!

turbojolt
01-04-11, 10:38 AM

good luck having it put down over this

and why would you want to have it killed its the owners fault, and i know its upsetting but how can you put a cat and a child in the same leage i have 2 cats and one dog my dog was attacked and it cost me a bomb in the vets i wasnt pissed off with the dog i was angry with the owner you should petty the dogs with owners making the violent and oir not controlling them

and iam genuinly upset for the loss of what im sure was a part of your family:(

Hoochie
01-04-11, 10:48 AM
good luck having it put down over this

and why would you want to have it killed its the owners fault, and i know its upsetting but how can you put a cat and a child in the same leage :(
It's not putting them in the same league as such...it's in the same category of small things moving quickly( to be caught and killed)....as this is what working greyhounds are trained to do, they spend their whole lives living outdoors in kennels with not much contact with others apart from trainers/owners.
And going on what i know, don't adjust very well to normal life.

turbojolt
01-04-11, 10:54 AM
It's not putting them in the same league as such...it's in the same category of small things moving quickly( to be caught and killed)....as this is what working greyhounds are trained to do, they spend their whole lives living outdoors in kennels with not much contact with others apart from trainers/owners.
And going on what i know, don't adjust very well to normal life.

yer i know hat your saying matey

grey hounds have a very HIGH prey drive, and i did see anothr post just now by some dickhead saying alongthe lines of get a staffy to do it over wht a muppet people like that give a great breed a bad name people like that need to come round my way and get a good slap i caqnt stand animal abbuse in any form!

p.s missed spaces are due to my bird bloody net book lol

Jack
01-04-11, 12:02 PM
i did see anothr post just now by some dickhead saying alongthe lines of get a staffy to do it over wht a muppet
Hi. The name is Jack, not "dickhead" or "muppet". As you can see, my name is clearly displayed next to the post :)

Also it appears you aren't familiar with the term "tongue in cheek". Would you like me to explain it to you? lol

wwmnw
01-04-11, 12:06 PM
Hi. The name is Jack, not "dickhead" or "muppet". As you can see, my name is clearly displayed next to the post :)

Also it appears you aren't familiar with the term "tongue in cheek". Would you like me to explain it to you? lol

Seeing as its turbojolt, you'd probably be best to explain it for him.

sport
01-04-11, 12:35 PM
Seeing as its turbojolt, you'd probably be best to explain it for him.

Dont bother he should go straight for the ban button lol

turbojolt
01-04-11, 12:53 PM
sorry jack but its a sore point for me my dog was recently attacked by some dicks dog cost me a fortune in the vets

Hoochie
01-04-11, 12:55 PM
sorry jack but its a sore point for me my dog was recently attacked by some dicks dog cost me a fortune in the vets

Do you know the person/dog in question??
did you report this to the police??

turbojolt
01-04-11, 12:58 PM
didint at first but tryed in the end nothing come of it

claire6069
01-04-11, 02:05 PM
i think the point people are missing is that greyhounds are a sight hound hence why they're used for racing/hare coursing etc etc

they are a fantastic family pet until they catch sight of something moving and regardless of a racing history or not, its their instinct to chase it.

i had a greyhound last year and i have 4 cats, providing the cats didnt run, he was fine with them, he wasnt bothered by them at all. however, one day, one of the cats knocked something over, scared all of them and they all went running upstairs, toby (the greyhound) went running after them but alfie got in his way in the hallway and he turned on alfie in a desperate bid to carry on chasing the cats so he had to go after that.

i was told by my next door neighbour who was quite into his 'activities' shall we say, with greyhounds and whippets, that they should legally be muzzled when walked up the street and kept on a lead because of this streak in their nature.

im betting if the cat hadnt ran, the dog wouldnt have chased but that doesnt excuse the owners stupidity/ignorance that caused the cats untimely death, sorry for your loss craig, he looked like a lovely cat :)

Edd
01-04-11, 02:13 PM
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h173/DrunkDwarf/snatch.jpg

Well go on then before ze Germans get there!! lol

Seriously that has to be the most ridiculous thing I've read on here yet. Would be silly enough if it was your cat, but it's clearly f*ck all for you to be getting wound up about.

It was obviously an accident, and the owner has probably learnt his lesson to keep the dog on a lead from now on. Absolutely no reason for the dog to be put down.

I ran over a cat last year when it ran in front of my car one night, should I be put down?

Sorry to hear about your cat though.
Have you actually read my posts you fool ? :d

It clearly is something for me to get wound up about.

Craig is my best mate who I've known for 20 years, so I feel his pain.

Secondly, the cat in question was bread by my mum, I was still living at home when Cougan was born and actually helped deliver that litter and as with all the kittens my mum raised helped out a lot with them before the went to their new homes at 3 months.

So yes it CLEARLY is something for me to get wound up about, fooks me right off actually.

Ok it's not 100% the dogs fault but something needs to be done about this.

maddogdaz666
01-04-11, 02:17 PM
finally a bit of useful info! Rather than everyone bitching over each others comments. At the end of the day it is a regular occurance, dogs chase cats, cats chase mice etc, and if what claire is saying is right the owner is at fault here not the dog.

i think the point people are missing is that greyhounds are a sight hound hence why they're used for racing/hare coursing etc etc

they are a fantastic family pet until they catch sight of something moving and regardless of a racing history or not, its their instinct to chase it.

i had a greyhound last year and i have 4 cats, providing the cats didnt run, he was fine with them, he wasnt bothered by them at all. however, one day, one of the cats knocked something over, scared all of them and they all went running upstairs, toby (the greyhound) went running after them but alfie got in his way in the hallway and he turned on alfie in a desperate bid to carry on chasing the cats so he had to go after that.

i was told by my next door neighbour who was quite into his 'activities' shall we say, with greyhounds and whippets, that they should legally be muzzled when walked up the street and kept on a lead because of this streak in their nature.

im betting if the cat hadnt ran, the dog wouldnt have chased but that doesnt excuse the owners stupidity/ignorance that caused the cats untimely death, sorry for your loss craig, he looked like a lovely cat :)

Hobbit
01-04-11, 02:45 PM
Sorry to hear about that cat Craig, he looked lovely.

Getting the dog put down is a bit ott though, if everyone wanted an eye for an eye we'd all end up blind :(

Hayley
01-04-11, 02:50 PM
I shall not comment on whether or not I think the dog should be put down but I will comment on my experience of these incidents working with the rozzers...

Police only get involved if its animal on human attack, not animal on animal. also as its a greyhound, its not classed as a dangerous dog so again... police not interested.

You need to get in touch with the local dog warden, which should be through the council. they deal with prosecutions. The dog warden may tell you to report it to the police but in my experience, thats only because they like passing the buck.

Hope that helps

EDIT - Thinking about it again.. the only thing the police might do is crime this is criminal damage.

Pistol Pete
01-04-11, 02:59 PM
Gutted for you CG. We had cats when i was younger, loved them. Me and the misses have 2 now. She mocks me as i am a little protective over them. So i can understand your loss. IMO having the dog put down is OTT, but i can also understand you want justice for your loss. Having a dog off the lead, like a greyhound within a housing estate, is a little irresponsible IMO. Open ground fair enough.

Hoochie
01-04-11, 03:21 PM
Did you stop the car, get out to see if it was even alive?, look if it was wearing a collar containing contact details?

At the end of the day it is someones pet and the owners deserved to be notified of what had happened to it.

If you didn't then the answer to your question is........yes....:)

Southie
01-04-11, 04:05 PM
Sorry for your loss Craig :(

Have a read of some of this, maybe of some use >LINK (http://www.endangereddogs.com/DogLaw_DangerousDogsAct.htm)< :)

Adam
01-04-11, 04:22 PM
**** thing to happen that is Craig, but i dont think there is a lot you can do about it. As Spud said, cats are seen as "lesser" pets. Apart from a sorry, i dont think you could expect much more legally/personally imo.

Having 2 cats myself tho I'd be pretty f**ked off if it was one of mine. One of the reasons mine are kept indoors 24/7.

mowgli
01-04-11, 04:26 PM
the crime is not that a cat was killed by a dog... the crime is that a dog owner wasn't in control of their animal & let it trespass on someone elses property & kill an animal.. in farming terms, it is a fairly serious thing.. when some prat lets a town dog loose in a field of livestock, it is carnage.. i had to help my cousin out, by getting a jcb& burying 2 dogs that he had shot as they were trying to murder his sheep.. when the owners got back to my cousins place with the police, they couldn't find the dogs.....then the copper found out why the dogs were being shot at..

Ben
01-04-11, 04:31 PM
A lot of complete and utter sh!te being posted and some very sensible answers!

This thread is keyboard conans finest work!

It is a great shame to hear of the cat dying and is completely out of order by the owner of the dog, The dog shouldnt be put down but should be taken off that owner as he is obviously a ****er, wether it has never done it before does not excuse the one time it has, once is too late espcially in this case.

Edd if your going to turn vigilante then aim your attack at the owner not the dog, but then its a lot harder squaring up to a grown man rather than a 4 legged dog!

Angus Closier
01-04-11, 04:46 PM
We have to deal with this problem a fair bit on the farm, However unlike most people we have the right to Shoot before the owner is even consulted if its being a harassing or violent dog. However we have always had dogs and will always but the way ours our trained and brought up as well as our own behaviour is second to non, If we take them anywhere which they could be a risk they get put on leads....Its not hard but some people are ill educated.
Now that we have the right to destroy the dog hasn't changed anything, 9/10 of owners will carry on regardless. Edd if you have an issue report the owner to the police etc and give them a good knock in the chin....it will get allot further than putting down the dog. If the owner had it on a lead this wouldnt of happened. So Give the owner a good going to, That way it might not happen again! I'm sorry to hear about the cat though!

Edd
01-04-11, 05:08 PM
I may have sounded like a bit of a cock wanting revenge

Stuff like this pisses me right off tho, Craigs parents are decent people and for this to happen to them is shocking seeing as they had the cat for so many years and for the dog owner to think 'oh well that nature' and walk off like nothings happened is very wrong

I wouldn't have any problem whatsoever squaring up to the owner but maybe that's not the best way to go about things

When I speak to Craig later hopefully he has managed to contact the police over it

Angus Closier
01-04-11, 05:11 PM
I may have sounded like a bit of a cock wanting revenge

Stuff like this pisses me right off tho, Craigs parents are decent people and for this to happen to them is shocking seeing as they had the cat for so many years and for the dog owner to think 'oh well that nature' and walk off like nothings happened is very wrong

I wouldn't have any problem whatsoever squaring up to the owner but maybe that's not the best way to go about things

When I speak to Craig later hopefully he has managed to contact the police over it

I'm not blaming you for being angry. Put your self in my fathers situation a few years ago he had 15 lambs only a week old killed. Thats part of his living but also part of his life...? I know what it feels like but that dog didn't learn anything from having a bullet.....its owner did learn a few things! Police wouldnt turn up to the farm for that...we would have had to go see them...at the end of the day just dont make your self as bad as the dog/owner!

Hope craig gets somthing sorted though!

mayhem
01-04-11, 05:53 PM
it's the dog owners fault, but imo you wont get anything done legaly.

was the cat in youre garden, surrounded by a fence? or could he walk out on the street?
if the dog needed to jump over a fence, then you could do something, but if youre garden is not surrounded by anything, i dont think there is anything they can/will do.

mowgli
01-04-11, 06:08 PM
in the uk, your property is legally your property. so the dog owner should have had it controlled & not let it on to private land. the dog owner is truly in the wrong.

phazer
01-04-11, 06:17 PM
I've not read the whole thread and a post up there suggests that isn't necessarily a good idea so apologies if I go over old ground.

The owner is a IMO stupid to walk a greyhound off the lead at all. If it's an ex racer it WILL chase anything small that moves and it will kill it as that is what they are trained to do. FWIW We have rescued an ex-racer who was also used for hare coursing afterwards she has v.good eyes!

I'm pretty sure that all that could be claimed is criminal damage as the cat is/was your property. A greyhound is not classed as a dangerous dog and made no attempt to attack a human so I don't belive you'll get anywhere on that score - it won't be put down thats for sure.

It may be worth noting that in law you can run down a cat in your car and do nothing about it but if you run down a dog you must report it to the Police. There is a legal distinction between the two animals.

Finally, sorry to hear about all of this Craig, not nice at all.

Andy
01-04-11, 06:24 PM
Sorry to hear this craig,such barbaric circumstances.
Afraid to say,nowt will happen to the dog as its not under the dangerous dogs act nor anywhere near the breed of such animal.
It is in its instinct to hunt and kill,thats what they are.
Owner should have had more control and been aware of that.
Certain people need to step away from the keyboard,reminds me of an episode of brookside at times.
Again,condolonces Craig

TeddyThom
01-04-11, 07:07 PM
Did you stop the car, get out to see if it was even alive?, look if it was wearing a collar containing contact details?

At the end of the day it is someones pet and the owners deserved to be notified of what had happened to it.

If you didn't then the answer to your question is........yes....:)

I had a cat run over last year, very attached to him, he was a right old softy. His sister still mourns him now.

We didn't even know til some little girl knocked on my door to ask us if it was our cat. My mum was devestated. So yeah, I can understand what you mean Hoochie.

Back on topic, if the dog was on a leash then the only "bad" thing that would've happened is the owner would get a little longer in the arm. Better than a cat being killed, so yeah shold've been on a leash. But getting the dog put down is a little OTT.

bbutl86
01-04-11, 07:45 PM
Not the dogs fault if it is a old racing greyhound like I used to have they are trained to chase cat sized targets rabbits so on. dogs are only as bad as the owner let's them be it should have been on a lead. Sorry about your cat and owner should pay comp of some sort a little something at least

blue_peg_16v
01-04-11, 08:34 PM
nothing would happen to the dog tbf mate and if you try to sue you will get nothing for the legal reason of ownership,

a dog is classed as having an owner so there is some responsibilty on there behalf, but a cat is classed as a roaming animal so officaly has no owner.

thats why legaly if you run a dog over you have to stop but if you run a cat over you dont legaly have to stop.

sorry to hear about it though mate

Saloony
01-04-11, 09:47 PM
Well all the cat owners are out to play on this one arent they.

Being a dog owner, i might add an owner of an dog that its nature is instinctively to hunt and kill lesser animals. The dog is in no way at fault here, its the owner. The hound was also allowed to breech your property. Again owner at fault.

But to turn around and say... what if it were a kid, what utter sweaty bolloks. Diesel, by his own right knows the difference between, toddler/infant/kid, small/tiny dog and what we shall class here as prey. Never do i walk him round farm land or on the streets without his lead on. Although he has a love for horses and expects them to play.

You do stand some ground here on the owner side of things but not the mut. Dont be too disappointed if nothing comes of it which to be honest i cant see it happening, it hasnt harmed anything human and as said not a dangerous breed. Like in rules of the road horse, human or dog we have to do our upmost to avoid a collision with them, anything else is near on fair game.

Saloony
01-04-11, 10:06 PM
TBH I hate pretty much all dogs

And 90% of dog owners, the ones that let there dogs crap everywhere, bark viciously at everybody, and finally the chav ones that think it 'hard as fook' to have a staffi or whatever there called, fooking coonts the lot of them

There's a large grass area/park which was built when the estate went up can't be used by the neighbourhood kids as it full of dog crap

That sunshine is a small minority.

Stuart
01-04-11, 10:20 PM
Craig, someone could have run the cat over and NOT be required to report it... conversely if a Dog is run over then technically it should be reported as its a licenseable creature (although licenses arent needed for most dogs anymore).

While its awful to have happened, being a vigilante/wanting owner or dogs blood is just petty imho. **** happens, its not nice, move on and dont stress over things.

turbojolt
01-04-11, 10:35 PM
Craig, someone could have run the cat over and NOT be required to report it... conversely if a Dog is run over then technically it should be reported as its a licenseable creature (although licenses arent needed for most dogs anymore).

While its awful to have happened, being a vigilante/wanting owner or dogs blood is just petty imho. **** happens, its not nice, move on and dont stress over things.

well said that man

Edd
01-04-11, 10:38 PM
After just speaking to Craig his parents are not sure wether to draw a line under the whole event or pursue legal matters with the owner

Stu, tbh having a cat run over and mauled to death by a hound are two completely difference things, not a nice thing for people to see happen, even more so when the cat is 15 years old, not a good way to go

I was very annoyed with what happened as the cat came from my mum, on reflection me getting worked up about is completely pointless as if I/we took the law in to our own hands the only ones to suffer would be ourselves, however in my previous posts although I sounded like I was ranting I was just speaking my mind at time

bazil
01-04-11, 10:40 PM
stuart, im not picking an arguement but this wasnt a cat and dog home cat, pedigree cats aint cheap, the dog owner has failed to control his animal, the dog was out of control in a public area, the dog entered private property and mauled said cat.

up here that would make the dog a danger, fair enough its a cat but the fact still remains that that dog is uncontrolable!

christ my dogs were demmed the most dangerous in the UK at one point and could still be told to cease and stop, if you cant control your dog you shouldnt have it!

Saloony
01-04-11, 10:42 PM
Stu, tbh having a cat run over and mauled to death by a hound are two completely difference things, not a nice thing for people to see happen, even more so when the cat is 15 years old, not a good way to go

No difference at all, same end result. And yeah, 15yr old, it had hit old age, maybe 7years ago it may have been able to out run it.

Edd
01-04-11, 10:51 PM
No difference at all, same end result. And yeah, 15yr old, it had hit old age, maybe 7years ago it may have been able to out run it.
You sunshine are sounding like a right fool, and that's being polite to say the least

I hope your mut is ripped to shreads in front of your eyes by a bigger dog

WTF are you on about ? At 15 years your expecting it to pass away soon not being mauled to death in your back garden by some flea ridden hound ffs !!

So you think it fine that a mut runs into private gardens and kills a cat do you?

Stuart
01-04-11, 10:57 PM
I hope your mut is ripped to shreads in front of your eyes by a bigger dog

Now now.... who is sounding like a fool now.

Saloony
01-04-11, 10:58 PM
Jog on Edd, your being a right tool, climb down off your high horse for fcuk sake. Clear to see your biast to these creatures. But at what point did i say its fine for the hound to do that, dont believe i did, go back and you'll see i deem it the owners fault.

Its all well and good training a dog, but to stop it chasing lesser animals its gotta be in that situation, if the owner has never encounted that then it will be a full on struggle. It still doesnt steer away from that it should of been on the lead however.

bazil
01-04-11, 10:59 PM
should of had a muzzle too

Stuart
01-04-11, 11:11 PM
should of had a muzzle too

So should humans then....?
And I've had a few nasty bites from cats too, so they should be muzzled (and declawed but hey they are small and fluffy so its of course never intended).

Oh I've been bitten by a Horse too, they need a muzzle!

Saloony
01-04-11, 11:14 PM
And I've had a few nasty bites from cats too, so they should be muzzled (and declawed but hey they are small and fluffy so its of course never intended).

Dont forget nats and flies.

krobinson
01-04-11, 11:19 PM
All yer ma's!

LOL

Edd
01-04-11, 11:20 PM
Jog on Edd, your being a right tool, climb down off your high horse for fcuk sake. Clear to see your biast to these creatures. But at what point did i say its fine for the hound to do that, dont believe i did, go back and you'll see i deem it the owners fault.

Its all well and good training a dog, but to stop it chasing lesser animals its gotta be in that situation, if the owner has never encounted that then it will be a full on struggle. It still doesnt steer away from that it should of been on the lead however.
I was completely calm about the whole situation until you decided to come along with the attitude of 'run over, mauled to death, the same result' crap, nor am I on any form of high horse

Obviously it's clear your a dog lover and couldn't care less about a cat, but if your dog was killed by another dog what would you say ? Oh well that's nature? I doubt it

jonn
01-04-11, 11:22 PM
its the dogs owners fault 100%. the owner was walking the dog off the lead, everyone knows what a dog is capable of doing.

steviegsi
01-04-11, 11:23 PM
Fpmsl! @ krobinson.

krobinson
01-04-11, 11:24 PM
Fpmsl! @ krobinson.

Just thought i'd clear the air! :thumb:

Saloony
01-04-11, 11:30 PM
I was completely calm about the whole situation until you decided to come along with the attitude of 'run over, mauled to death, the same result' crap, nor am I on any form of high horse

Obviously it's clear your a dog lover and couldn't care less about a cat, but if your dog was killed by another dog what would you say ? Oh well that's nature? I doubt it
But i think you'll find since the begining of time dogs have been chasing cats. And a dog fight is a very different situation, owners are always present to stop it. So is very rare in which that it would happen. Ive had been walking my mum and dad terrier when 3 dogs, a mastif and 2 rotties packed up on him... and then myself, i wasnt quiet on it and gave the owners a royal bolloking and the dogs a good punching... but still its there nature they packed up as they would of done back in the day. My own runs in a pack, to which he is the head of. Ive had a pit bull chase me down when i was in my teens, so me more so shouldnt like em..... but still its the owners

Lee
01-04-11, 11:36 PM
(and declawed but hey they are small and fluffy so its of course never intended).

Its cruel to declaw a cat if its allowed outside, if it comes accross another cat its got no hope of defending itself. Ive just got my cat a scratch post that is designed to sharpen them lol It may hurt if he claws me, but he can also go all freddie crueger on the ferrels round here!

claire6069
02-04-11, 02:33 AM
i think the simplest way of putting it is that no animal is born with problems or issues (unless they're medical of course), people make them have problems and issues by not training them or bringing them up right!

fpmsl @ keith lol

Yorkie
02-04-11, 08:16 AM
Im sorry to hear about your cat, it sucks when you loose a pet because they do become members of the family. I wouldn have the dog put down becasue no matter what you do it doesnt make it feel better, but i do hope there is something you can do about the owners. And again im very sorry bout your cat.

bbutl86
02-04-11, 09:48 AM
stuart, im not picking an arguement but this wasnt a cat and dog home cat, pedigree cats aint cheap, the dog owner has failed to control his animal, the dog was out of control in a public area, the dog entered private property and mauled said cat.

up here that would make the dog a danger, fair enough its a cat but the fact still remains that that dog is uncontrolable!

christ my dogs were demmed the most dangerous in the UK at one point and could still be told to cease and stop, if you cant control your dog you shouldnt have it!

no one knows the back ground of the dog might be an ex racer then they are trained to go after small prey not the dog that is UNCONTROLABLE owner didnt control properly

Balley
02-04-11, 10:30 AM
Thats just stupid

Exactly. the owner should of had it on a lead! the for it the owners fault!!

But I doubt the owner did it on purpose and am sure he did everything in his power to stop it!

L14MNP
02-04-11, 11:02 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your cat Craig, that's no way for an elderly cat minding his own business to go. I am also of the opinion that it is the owner at fault and not the dog. as said, it's in their nature to hunt lesser animals just like it is for cats to do the same. In a residential area it should be on a lead though, end of.

I may have missed this, but has the owner apologised?

bazil
02-04-11, 12:15 PM

you forgot about rabbits, those things have huge teef too lol

I'm sorry to see that most comments are simply the kind of ignorant approch that many dog owners have these days, if you own a dog you should atleast know what the characteristics of the breed are, each individual dog can be different but you should know what kind of animal is living in your home,

many folk nowadays don't even know what the history of their dog breed is and this leads to problem like this thread where a generaly dosile dog changed into a attack mode and killed in an unprovoked manner,

a 10 second search on google gives this

Greyhounds an Lurchers
Some breeds and types of dog such as the Greyhound and the Lurcher are bred to chase small animals. It’s in their nature and even living within a home environment they will naturally revert to their breed type when they get the scent of their prey. Therefore it is commonplace to see these breeds being muzzled whilst out walking. These dogs are naturally affable characters but it is more for the safety of their prey that they wear a muzzle.
Before resorting to the use of a muzzle on your dog consider seeking advice from canine professionals who can advise on all aspects of training that may help your dog.

as I have had personal experiance of large breed dogs all my life I am a responsible owner and know exactly what my choice of breed is fully capable of, somthing that I wish others could do.

bazil
02-04-11, 12:33 PM
no one knows the back ground of the dog might be an ex racer then they are trained to go after small prey not the dog that is UNCONTROLABLE owner didnt control properly

if your dog does not respond to simple commands like sit, stop, heel etc etc then it is not controlable and should not be allowed of a leash in any public area, no exceptions!

claire6069
03-04-11, 10:25 AM
thank you bazil, exactly what i said :)