PDA

View Full Version : Engine Questions

dj-stryke
18-06-03, 02:24 PM
Ok, just about to fit the 1.3SR parts to my 1.2 engine.

Inlet manifold, carb, cam, followers and the k&n air filter.

A few questions;

1. I've had my head skimmed, for a replacement gasket (not a cooked head) so with the new cam with higher lift, will I run danger of piston slap, and if the cambelt breaks, will it still be a 'safe' engine, or will it total my top end? Not quite sure if the 1.2 pistons have the valve cut-outs...?

2. Is it really as simple as I've been told, to just 'swap' the 1.3SR cam, with the 1.2 cam? Been advised to swap the followers (in same order as before).

3. The inlet manifold will fit straight on to my 1.2?

4. And, any general knowledge pieces of advice I could be given would be immsenly grateful, i.e. certain wires, or hoses that will need to be changed, to account for the auto-choke. I took what I think was everything from the SR, mainly the water system's T-pieces, and other hoses etc...just, anything else I'll need?

5. Cleaning. Going to get the Sr bits out now, and is the best way to clean them like how we used to do the kart parts, in a tray, with fuel, and just brush around on the outside to get everything clean?

Thanks in advance, Ian.

Snowface
18-06-03, 03:16 PM
3. Yes its a straight swap. i just did it 2 weeks ago.

Nova-Boy
18-06-03, 06:02 PM
You should have no problem with piston slap.

Use the cam and followers from the 1.3 and keep them matched with what they were originally. number 1 cam with number 1 follower etc etc. Use the hydralic lifters that match as well if you can.

Inlet and carb is a straight swap.

Gunk is good for cleaning parts.

Cant help with the auto choke question sorry.