PDA

View Full Version : SR stalling every time under load...help please!

marc69
29-03-11, 09:06 PM
I am preparing my 1.3 standard SR for it's MOT after a few years rest. I think everythings fine, took it for a test drive (obviously not on a public highway) and runs sweet except after being under heavy load for a few mins, especially going uphill with revs, it kangaroos and dies. after a few mins its ok again.

I had this problem before and fitted a different Carb, it was hellish when cold so want to go back to the proper Pe2.

I have sucked the distributer vacuum pipe and get no difference in speed and the vacuum pipe from the carb has little suction, would this cause the car to actually struggle?

If anyone has advice I would graetly appreciate it.

AdamK
29-03-11, 09:14 PM
not got a clue and not going to pretend i have but have you serviced the car? could be something stupid just go round and clean/check everythings working correctly

nova gsi ian
29-03-11, 09:21 PM
not got a clue and not going to pretend i have but have you serviced the car? could be something stupid just go round and clean/check everythings working correctly poss

mowgli
29-03-11, 09:24 PM
petrol, coil, water pump failed, causing overheating, rad blocked, plugs, dizzy. accelerator pump in carb, fuel pump. blocked fuel filter. any of the above really

nova gsi ian
29-03-11, 09:24 PM
how long has the car been off the road bud? could be the petrol has gone off, had this problem myself some time back.

marc69
29-03-11, 09:27 PM
car been off the road for 3 years, put in fresh fuel but the car used to do this before it went off the road

mowgli
29-03-11, 09:28 PM
pot of redex in the tank & some new plugs for a start.

marc69
29-03-11, 09:39 PM
petrol, coil, water pump failed, causing overheating, rad blocked, plugs, dizzy. accelerator pump in carb, fuel pump. blocked fuel filter. any of the above really

the gauge doesn't say it's overheating and it didn't do this with another carb (it ran badly when cold though)

The accelerator pump sounds like a possibilty, but not hearing any pinkingif there is fuel starvation would I not hear it?

Could the vacum cause this?

marc69
29-03-11, 09:41 PM
pot of redex in the tank & some new plugs for a start.

serviced the car with plugs/ filters etc.
even went as far as lubricating the sliders in the calipers!
Seriously hoping for a first tme MOT on a 22 year old Nova.....we will see

mowgli
29-03-11, 10:42 PM
the vacuum is a distinct possibility. if the carb is not seated on the manifold correctly, ie. damaged gasket, then it will run lean & the inlet vacuum will be wrong, and the dizzy adv/ret mechanism won't work properly.

how did you test the adv/ret?

marc69
29-03-11, 10:58 PM
the vacuum is a distinct possibility. if the carb is not seated on the manifold correctly, ie. damaged gasket, then it will run lean & the inlet vacuum will be wrong, and the dizzy adv/ret mechanism won't work properly.

how did you test the adv/ret?

When i serv iced the car, i checked the timing with a strobe light but, i didnt check whther it moved when engine speed increased, i will do this tomorrow after work, if the marks don't seperate I assume it is the vacum.

tonight I did suck the dizzy vaccum and no differenvce in enhine speed, also when engine speed increased there wasn't much suction from the carb vacumn.

I will also take the carb off and check the seating, but apart from revving on hills, it runs perfectly which makes me thoink it is possibly vacum but to be honest, i am no mechanic!

General Baxter
29-03-11, 11:01 PM
just sounds to me if its bogging down,

give the carb a good going over and have it set up

marc69
29-03-11, 11:52 PM
Thanks for all suggestions tonight, gives me ideas for tomorrow.........
Will give an update once I've finished playing with it.

garyc
30-03-11, 07:11 AM
what carb have you fitted?

marc69
30-03-11, 06:48 PM
the pieberg 2e bouble barrled as standard

Well today, checked the dizzy vacum and it was done, just slapped on another dizzy i had handy, checked with strobe light, vacumm working. Drove up a hill....stalled again!

changed vacums on carb, still the same, so decided to switch to the other carb (same type) which I know runs fine when the car is hot but hesitates on initial throttle and is bad for stalling when cold.

went to test it, the temp gauge kept rising............hope its just the thermo but it is all a bit of a panic, MOT is tomorrow afternoon so hoping to buy and fit the thermo in my lunchhour, all progress on other checks has ceased because toniught I am so fed up of it, tempted to fit a single choke carb, to have 2 2es that don't work but in different wayss pretty annoying to say the least.

See tomorrow whether it
1 gets to the test station and
2 if it passes

garyc
30-03-11, 07:24 PM
Have you checked the cam timing marks, they can jump a tooth and cause simmilar problems.

marc69
31-03-11, 11:01 PM
Today's update

Overheating, fortunately just the thermostat, shoved new one in and no probs

Carb problem.... Well fitted another carb, no problems going up hills, tuned it and the emissions passed the MOT but haven't had a chance to really test it as failed the test!!!

Handbrake cable (replaced this evening) and the brakes. I have adjusted up the rear brakes and cleaned/greased the pistons, the sliders move by hand so haven't touched them, here's hoping tomorrow goes well.

marc69
01-04-11, 10:57 PM
PASSED MOT....Really pleased

Carb probs...well I changed to the other Carb, no problems with running but bad for stalling when cold, looks like I will have to live with this for a while as clearly there is something wrong with the other carb, but don't know what it is.

If anyone is near aberdeen and has a pieberg 2e that they know is good, please pm me, otherwise look out for me stalling at junctions when cold!

Thanks to everyone for thier advice and help.