PDA

View Full Version : Engine swap options.

MK1_Ben
28-03-11, 09:17 PM
I'll try to keep it short.

Currently on a 1.2 Carb, however I want to fit a fuel injection Engine.

In regards to speed + ease, what would be the best Engine to fit as my Nova is a daily driver and I cannot afford to have it off the road more than a weekend, so what would be the best and easiest injection Engine to drop into it?

swedge
28-03-11, 09:23 PM
i fitted a c14se to mine which was pretty easy

around 8 wires need wired in and your away
youll need an injection tank aswell, if you use a spi injection tank the pump will be inside the tank and you may need to cut a whole in your floor to access it
if you use a gsi/gte tank its an in-line pump which bolts to the inside of the chassis at the rear

youll need to change the fuel lines to

im guessing it would be the same fitting a gsi/gte as theres not alot different to them really obviously power wise there is

fitting a x14xe or x16xe has more work with thw wiring side and if it has an immobilisor that needs sorting too

MK1_Ben
28-03-11, 09:27 PM
The 1.2 tank has a return pipe, so couldn't I just fit an external pump?

Also what about mounts for the c14 Gearbox and Engine?

John
28-03-11, 09:29 PM

No you'd need the gte/sri tank and pump too.

What do you need injection for? why not fit a 1.4 carb sr engine? twin choke weber, cam and four branch will be lively. :)

John
28-03-11, 09:29 PM
All nova mounts are the same apart from 1.0

swedge
28-03-11, 09:30 PM

i dont think your tank will have a swirl pot so you could have fuel problems when cornering

the your mounts will be fine on any of those engines and gearbox that come with them

the only 1 thats different is drivers side in a 1.0 which mines was

yours will be fine though

MK1_Ben
28-03-11, 09:31 PM
Basically my current Engine is on its way out, and I want to change the Engine easily and quickly, and i've not noticed 1.4 carbs come up often.

Whilst the Engines out i'd rather go injection to save me the hassle of cold starts each morning, trying to chug up the huge hill from my house when it's cold and whatnot.

@Swedge,

So if i buy a c14se, box, loom, gte/sri tank and pump I would be away? what about shafts, do c14 ones fit?

swedge
28-03-11, 09:32 PM
Basically my current Engine is on its way out, and I want to change the Engine easily and quickly, and i've not noticed 1.4 carbs come up often.

Whilst the Engines out i'd rather go injection to save me the hassle of cold starts each morning, trying to chug up the huge hill from my house when it's cold and whatnot.

thats basicly why i done it plus the 1.0 was a bit pathetic on power lol

John
28-03-11, 09:35 PM
if you're not too good mechanically, you'll struggle with the swap to injection in a weekend imho :) (I don't know how good you are, i'm just saying) Swapping to injection will mean sourcing a gte fuel tank and pump, plus an engine (possibly a bigger rad too). I'd but a rotten gte as a donor, swap all good parts and sell what you don't need to make some ££ back. Saying that though all rotten gte's seem to still make £500+

Pistol Pete
28-03-11, 09:36 PM
If you are currently running a 1.2 carb engine, then this...

No you'd need the gte/sri tank and pump too.

What do you need injection for? why not fit a 1.4 carb sr engine? twin choke weber, cam and four branch will be lively. :)

...is the best and IMO easiest option.

Just an engine needed. You can use your tank, no need to faff. Drop it in and enjoy!

John
28-03-11, 09:36 PM
The other alternative is the 16v engine from the corsa b, (x14xe/x16xe) but then i'm guessing it'll make it insurance heavy.

MK1_Ben
28-03-11, 09:37 PM
Done quite a few Engine conversions in the past, but it's always been injection to injection, not carb to injection. I'm new to Vauxhalls however, worked for 2 years as a Motorsport mechanic with MG's, but working on the K series is childs play.

The 1.4 Carb route, what work is required in fitting that then?

General Baxter
28-03-11, 09:37 PM
i really think this swirl pot stuff is a load of bollox

iv owned many injection nova's on carb tanks, on red lights (tank), around the twistys and never had the fuel run out

John
28-03-11, 09:40 PM
Done quite a few Engine conversions in the past, but it's always been injection to injection, not carb to injection. I'm new to Vauxhalls however, worked for 2 years as a Motorsport mechanic with MG's, but working on the K series is childs play.

The 1.4 Carb route, what work is required in fitting that then?

Ok so if you know your stuff you'll be ok.

This has the same engine as a 1.4 sr.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1991-VAUXHALL-ASTRA-L-RED-/300541235533?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item45f9a7514d

swedge
28-03-11, 09:41 PM
i really think this swirl pot stuff is a load of bollox

iv owned many injection nova's on carb tanks, on red lights (tank), around the twistys and never had the fuel run out

i have a mate who fitted a 2.0 8v using a carb tank and had problems with fuelling he said it was to do with the tank etc

MK1_Ben
28-03-11, 09:43 PM
Might just buy another 1.2 8v Engine and Box and rebuild it so it's mint.

Literally can only do this on a weekend, the Nova is my only source of transport to where I work and I physically can't miss a day of work. (Head IT technician for quite a large distribution firm, heavily contracted in).

John
28-03-11, 09:44 PM
Deffo go for another carb engine then :) You'll have to live with the poor cold start. My old 5 door 1.2 never failed to start and ran sweet on the choke, is it set correctly?

swedge
28-03-11, 09:47 PM
the Nova is my only source of transport to where I work and I physically can't miss a day of work.

and you bought a nova haha

peester
28-03-11, 09:47 PM
why not fit a 1.3/1.4 8v carb; from sr or astra mk2?

MK1_Ben
28-03-11, 09:49 PM
and you bought a nova haha

Used to drive a sleeper Rover 200 with a 220 Turbo Engine in it :) Decided one day to roll it up the motorway, in turn losing my old job as I had no transport.

Then this Nova popped up in a sorry state and I thought I'd get my childhood car desire over with and put it on the road whilst I was unemployed. Now it parks alongside new BMW's, Porsches etc in the work Car-park :D

mk1nova_rich
28-03-11, 09:52 PM
If you need it doing in a weekend then another carb engine is the way to go...even if you plan out an injection conversion its still likely to throw up some unforeseen problems

MK1_Ben
28-03-11, 09:54 PM
Even if you plan out an injection conversion its still likely to throw up some unforeseen problems

Exactly my thinking.

By the way, +rep to all involved in the discussion.

Southie
28-03-11, 09:58 PM
Whats actually wrong with your existing engine then?

Personally if your needing it running quickly I'd keep a carb setup, maybe get a 1.4sr lump in and run a set of bike carbs ;)

MK1_Ben
28-03-11, 10:00 PM
Engine had been over-pressurised by the previous owner, since then it has an extremely rattly top-end, bottom end knocks when it's cold. Plus it's really under powered (friend drives an identical MK1 which leaves mine for dust, even though they're the same car).

Vausey_Nova_Knotla
28-03-11, 10:01 PM
Hi im an IT technician and if i was you stick to carb as said you will bump into problems if not. i have just done a 1.2 carb to 1.6gte and still got problems :/ luckily i have other transport. id say 1.3 or 1.4 if you want a bit more power other that that go 1.6 or go all out and put a 2L in :) and cope with no work for a wile? or get some one to do it?

MK1_Ben
28-03-11, 10:03 PM
Literally no-one to cover what I do at work buddy, hence I'm contracted in for X days a week, and on call 6 days and nights a week.

Basically all the "crap" you see advertised in newspapers+magazines (useless gadgets, dvd's yada yada) come through us at some point in the line. Quite a hectic job

Vausey_Nova_Knotla
28-03-11, 10:05 PM
Engine had been over-pressurised by the previous owner, since then it has an extremely rattly top-end, bottom end knocks when it's cold. Plus it's really under powered (friend drives an identical MK1 which leaves mine for dust, even though they're the same car).

Secretly put a 2L in and have fun with him. Obv dont tell him let him find out when you erm... get to the speed limit *Coff* Limiter *Coff* In seconds :)

Only Joking drive responsibly :thumb:

mk1nova_rich
28-03-11, 10:07 PM
While you have the engine and box out take the opportunity to fit a better gearbox with more suitable ratios and final drive.

Vausey_Nova_Knotla
28-03-11, 10:08 PM
Literally no-one to cover what I do at work buddy, hence I'm contracted in for X days a week, and on call 6 days and nights a week.

Basically all the "crap" you see advertised in newspapers+magazines (useless gadgets, dvd's yada yada) come through us at some point in the line. Quite a hectic job

That is pretty Grim then fella, What is it you do in your line of work? and shame really novas can be fun too :roll: and very annoying when they don't play :L

I have a 1.4sr engine just needs carb setting up or some twin 40's :thumb:

mk1nova_rich
28-03-11, 10:13 PM
How much you want for the SR engine Rob? lol

MK1_Ben
28-03-11, 10:15 PM
My line of work my day mainly consists of faffing around with more Servers than sense, doing alot of spreadsheet work providing figures for clients, and constantly modifying/updating/keeping online our Internal systems (we have an in house inbound and outbound call center, several warehouses throughout the country providing distribution, a few other call centers in the UK, we also run the back-ends for alot of online commerce sites).

Only really came about it through chance, as I was a customer service rep initially, until "unforseen circumstances" came about the old Head techs contract, so they took me on to cover for the period as they knew I was fairly qualified IT wise, then decided to employ me on Salary as the new head techie.

In regards to your SR Engine, for sale?

C612DNM
28-03-11, 11:46 PM
Secretly put a 2L in and have fun with him. Obv dont tell him let him find out when you erm... get to the speed limit *Coff* Limiter *Coff* In seconds :)

Only Joking drive responsibly :thumb:

V6 RWD

<cough><wheeze>
:thumb:

Vausey_Nova_Knotla
29-03-11, 08:49 AM
Tried pm'in you mate reguards engine.. pm when you have free mail box space