PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Oil leak.

MK1_Ben
28-03-11, 01:53 PM
My car has been running fine, no oil leaks etc. (1.2 Carb)

I parked it up yesterday, not leaking oil or anything along those lines. However going to start it this morning (but didn't start it), I noticed near the middle of the car an amount of Oil. Further examination underneath showed a ring of frozen fuel around the petrol tank return and the oil was underneath this area. But no oil underneath the Engine, with no visible signs of excessive oil on the block.

Turned it on to check the fuel level, fuel is fine so it appears to be dribbling fuel but no major leak. I then proceded to check the level on the dipstick, in which it was well below the minimum mark.

I re-filled it, no leaks still. Drove it carefully 5 miles to my workshop, the car drove fine, no unusual noises and the Oil level stayed where I had filled it, any Ideas as to where + how my car has dumped around 2litres of oil, but leaving only around a litre in the Engine and on the floor.

At work as we speak but I'll have a more thorough examination later, any ideas to help me beforehand?

/edit.

It was parked on a 30ยบ slope overnight, Engine at the highest point when the leak had appeared. I moved it to level ground to check the dipstick though.

Gareth_C
28-03-11, 02:11 PM
Was it around the engine bay because I know this is daft suggestion but is it not underseal and petrol mixed because I have had it before when the petrol lifts the seal and it looks like oil

MK1_Ben
28-03-11, 02:22 PM
Nothing under the bay at all, entirely under the fuel lines

/edit
What you're saying is hopefully correct, as the oil wouldn't of had time to settle from when I moved it onto the flat, plus a leaky fuel line could have easily melted the underseal around it. Also the "oil" on the floor was extremely tacky, which I put down to it being rather cold, but would make more sense if it was melted underseal.

mowgli
28-03-11, 02:48 PM
before you leave work, please re check the oil. these old gm engines love to hold oil in the top end of the engine.. a friends husband used to regularly check the oil on their cav mk2 after a journey, and then top it up.. when i was asked to sort out its bad running, i drained 3L of oil from it.... after i made him check the oil before they went out, the car was fine.

MK1_Ben
28-03-11, 02:55 PM
The car is at home Mowgli :)

I know they can hold oil, hence being late etc I drove it the 5 miles to my workshop with what could potentially be too much oil, it was driven at low RPM slowly though. Then got a lift to work.

I've seen the damage overfilling Engines does, not a nice way to go

Gareth_C
28-03-11, 03:03 PM
I hope it is just undersell and you get it sorted:thumb:

MK1_Ben
28-03-11, 03:15 PM
Thanks guys, will give rep when I'm at home as my work PC is tempermental with cookies :)

craig green
28-03-11, 06:24 PM
That'll be a fuel leak by the sounds of it, the fuel has melted the tarmac & it looks black.

Jack it up & check underneath for a split or perished fuel hose, my F plater dumped about a fiver of unleaded on the floor one night, fixed in 10 minutes for about a quid though!

MK1_Ben
28-03-11, 08:42 PM
Is a fuel leak guys, thanks alot :)

MK1_Ben
29-03-11, 07:32 AM
Just to update guys, went out this morning.

No fuel leak from my "bodged" repair until payday when I can get some new fuel lines, Oil level is where I left it :)

Thanks again.