PDA

View Full Version : Paints for Calipers??

scott.parker
26-03-11, 11:33 PM
OK so you can buy HT paint from helfrauds etc, but whats the info on heat resistance from say a normal brush on hammerite paint, will this work on calipers??

Any info form what others have used would be nice.

Cheers, Scott

Jack
26-03-11, 11:42 PM
Used hammerite on all my calipers, brushed on in one case. No problem.

steviegsi
26-03-11, 11:49 PM
Never had any problems with hammerite either.

scott.parker
27-03-11, 12:02 AM
Cool thats that sorted, hammerite smooth blue on the Astra it is then!

Connor
27-03-11, 12:05 AM
Used hammerite before, with no problems

Keif
27-03-11, 09:25 AM
Another one for hammerite.

Did the Signum's calipers the other weekend.
Washed, rubbed over with scotchbrite, then degreased. Brushed on.

Jobs a goodun.

Novasport
27-03-11, 09:36 AM
When I bought my first Nova, a 1.4 SR I found out someone had painted the rear drums with yellow hammerite. Unfortunately they did not wait for it to dry and the paint spidered itself all over the inside of the alloys!

Nick J
27-03-11, 10:10 AM
I have heard of hammerite lifting and making a bit of a mess..... However how good the preparation was on that car Im unsure as many seem to have good results. My last three cars Ive used a quality acid etch followed by a quality sealer. On top of that the colour of choice and finished with a high temp clear. Preparation is the key when painting items like these. use copious amounts of degreaser first off and finish with a low strength thinner and you wont go far wrong in my opinion. A very tedious job that usually takes hours for prep and ten minutes to paint!

Nick.

Jeff16v
27-03-11, 02:32 PM
I used hammerite on my black calipers, it was ok, the new red ones I used halfords enamal aerosol, much nicer finish. Acid etch primer and enamal clear.

All good since.

AndyGTE95
27-03-11, 02:38 PM
yea i think normal brush on hammerite would be fine.
i always brush it on because the stuff in a spray can goes all over the disk, pads, strut if the caliper is on the car :D

Novasport
27-03-11, 08:13 PM
There used to be a 2 part resin caliper paint you used to be able to buy. That stuff was pretty good.