PDA

View Full Version : Electric cars FTW

Stuart
26-03-11, 08:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvWduKDj3Tk

Check out the hairy chunky monkey at the helm of the laptop lol :) ;)

Got it to max torque but reduces to half at 30mph, but it still pulls like a train.. Will have it at full torque/current by the end of the week :)

John
26-03-11, 08:59 AM
Just seen this on facebook, cool as :)

mk1nova_rich
26-03-11, 09:04 AM
Nice :) although I'm really not convinced by electric cars...

Stuart
26-03-11, 09:20 AM
In terms of hippyness they suck, but as a fast light sporty car this one is ace :) I'm trying to convince them to make one with an engine lol

mk1nova_rich
26-03-11, 09:22 AM
Yes but you don't get that noise lol that car would be epic with a proper 2.0 16v on TBs

MK999
26-03-11, 10:02 AM
Actually looks quite cool, noise is quite funky too lol I take it you're mapping a brushless type system?

edit: They taking placement students? lol

Mazz
26-03-11, 10:47 AM
wow, very cool Stu :)

Bubba
26-03-11, 12:06 PM
i saw a hammer on a workbench :D

Stuart
26-03-11, 06:51 PM
Actually looks quite cool, noise is quite funky too lol I take it you're mapping a brushless type system?

edit: They taking placement students? lol

Design and Calibration of the powertrain.... not much calibration to be fair as the motor controllers cover a lot of the finer details.

I'm sure Delta take students on cheap lol They are fantastic design/enigneering folks... They make the Hennesy Venoms ;)

MK999
26-03-11, 07:09 PM
What about high quality well paid undergraduate short term employees?

mowgli
26-03-11, 07:40 PM
What about high quality well paid undergraduate short term employees? do you know some then?

it looks a fascinating & interesting concept, but its made out of carbon fibre, so it is prohibitively expensive...it is not production line ready, and it appears to be a tiny 2+2 coupe, so it really doesn't have mass market appeal. now an extruded ally hatchback using similar principles to the elise chassis would be a lot easier to produce, or a grp shell perhaps, and there are tons of lightweight recycled materials that would be perfectly useable for body panels.....

Stuart
27-03-11, 08:48 AM
Because its carbon isnt the reason its expensive... Infact the way they designed it means the chassis is a piece of piss to make on a productionised level.

The battery pack and motors are about 75% of the £150K (cost thus far) cost.
Its not been made as a saleable car though, its been made to prove that Delta can design and build a car, along with using the new motors as direct drives etc.

I reckon something like a Clio or Corsa C (D is too lardy) with this powertrain setup in would be a right hoot.

General Baxter
27-03-11, 12:09 PM
well its true the camera dont take the pounds off lol

mowgli
27-03-11, 12:12 PM
Because its carbon isnt the reason its expensive... Infact the way they designed it means the chassis is a piece of piss to make on a productionised level.

The battery pack and motors are about 75% of the £150K (cost thus far) cost.
Its not been made as a saleable car though, its been made to prove that Delta can design and build a car, along with using the new motors as direct drives etc.

I reckon something like a Clio or Corsa C (D is too lardy) with this powertrain setup in would be a right hoot.

the fact is that there needs to still be that massive leap forward to make these cars cost viable. then of course there is the need for clean, electricity.

General Baxter
27-03-11, 12:14 PM
i still would not pay over £5k for an electric car, lol

id rather drive a clio or KA lmao