PDA

View Full Version : The New Articulated Trucks I've been working on

Royston
26-03-11, 07:33 AM
Just thought I'd post the new Caterpillar Video as we've just launched the new truck;)

We have spent the last @3years developing the truck, had a model Helicopter in fitted with a camera to take some of the footage.

Video shot in our development quarry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNgpb_Iq174
3 minutes

If your really sad, this explains how it workslol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvLc3-8JycY&feature=relmfu
12 minutes

Hope you like big yellow Tonka toys:d

Lewis.
26-03-11, 08:26 AM
thats cool, I bet they are great fun to drive. I cant believe that even a truck that lives in a quarry has to have a bloody DPF now lol

matthew172
26-03-11, 09:20 AM
what do you actually do for a job?

Royston
26-03-11, 10:44 AM
what do you actually do for a job?

I am a R & D Engineer on Cat Articulated Trucks:d

L14MNP
26-03-11, 12:29 PM
Emailed to my dad. He will be happy seeing as he has to build them(!) lol

I call bullsh!t at 52-53 seconds btw!

It's cool to see (even just the shape) continually evolving, I have a couple of models somewhere and the first is from DJB days and is squarer than a Nova. The other is from when Cat took over Peterlee or somewhere around then. :thumb:

Bubba
26-03-11, 07:28 PM
burnout or no lol

Danny s-p
26-03-11, 07:41 PM
any of that filmed at west cornforth then the big pond look like it the one were the kids sadly past way swimming in it

mowgli
26-03-11, 07:49 PM
have they stopped making the cabs & driver controls massively chunky & clunky yet? the mucky bits have always been good on a cat, but their user friendlyness has always lagged behind other brands... a few years back , we had a 428 backhoe for 3 months evaluation, as we are 5 miles from the desford plant.. and they spent a lot of time trying to make it work like a 3cx

Royston
26-03-11, 09:04 PM
I call bullsh!t at 52-53 seconds btw!

The grade is real enough;) and it does have traction control, all filmed at Cornforth

Does look as if there has been some trickery, I'll be making some enquirieslol

Royston
26-03-11, 09:05 PM
have they stopped making the cabs & driver controls massively chunky & clunky yet? the mucky bits have always been good on a cat, but their user friendlyness has always lagged behind other brands... a few years back , we had a 428 backhoe for 3 months evaluation, as we are 5 miles from the desford plant.. and they spent a lot of time trying to make it work like a 3cx

The AT cab isn't too bad, there is a whole new dashboard, they are a piece of cake to drive;)

L14MNP
27-03-11, 12:10 AM
The grade is real enough;) and it does have traction control, all filmed at Cornforth

Does look as if there has been some trickery, I'll be making some enquirieslol

Yeah, I don't doubt the gradiant. Just thought it would have fallen out of the back seeing as it was open! lol

wwmnw
27-03-11, 12:40 AM
Cat never got back to me about a job :(

Royston
27-03-11, 08:55 AM
Yeah, I don't doubt the gradiant. Just thought it would have fallen out of the back seeing as it was open! lol

If you look, it is a dump body truck(without a tailgate) at the bottom of the grade, and switches to an ejector body truck up the grade......different machine :eek: ....must have used a magicianlol

Royston
27-03-11, 09:01 AM
Cat never got back to me about a job :(

That's a shame, don't give up, have another go! have you contacted Ranstad (the agency?)

novalicous
27-03-11, 10:09 AM
it looks like a good dumper

we have quite a few CAT machines at work 998g 988h 972g 972h th417 and a 966f

dumper wise we mainly have Volvo dumpers and 1 BELL

Mike
27-03-11, 10:16 AM
Right interesting job youve got there.

NOV4_SPORT
27-03-11, 10:20 AM
Very cool matey, amazing job also royston :thumb:

iain

wwmnw
27-03-11, 10:37 AM
That's a shame, don't give up, have another go! have you contacted Ranstad (the agency?)

Yeah it was Randstad I sent a CV in to and a lad who works there took a CV in for me.

L14MNP
27-03-11, 12:08 PM
If you look, it is a dump body truck(without a tailgate) at the bottom of the grade, and switches to an ejector body truck up the grade......different machine :eek: ....must have used a magicianlol

I seen it switch, but I'm certain the open dump body gets a fair way up beforehand. Further than Sir Isaac Newton had me believe it should anyway. lol

Royston
27-03-11, 12:38 PM
I seen it switch, but I'm certain the open dump body gets a fair way up beforehand. Further than Sir Isaac Newton had me believe it should anyway. lol

You'd be suprised at how steep a truck can go without spilling it's load, the machines will have been filled to "rated" load, i.e. not to the dump body full capacity (which would overload it)

There is also an option to fit a tailgate, it depends on what the cistomer intends hauling?

Yes I am lucky...... I have a GREAT JOB testing these :d

L14MNP
27-03-11, 01:03 PM
You'd be suprised at how steep a truck can go without spilling it's load, the machines will have been filled to "rated" load, i.e. not to the dump body full capacity (which would overload it)

There is also an option to fit a tailgate, it depends on what the cistomer intends hauling?

Yes I am lucky...... I have a GREAT JOB testing these :d

I guess it depends how dense the material is too. Just looked quite loose to me. I don't doubt they can climb some crazy stuff. Awesome machines!:thumb:

Do they still have the open days? I wanna drive one again. lol I done my school works experience in R&D at peterlee. I wonder if I worked with you? lol

I wouldn't mind a look round a 797 again either. I have a pic somewhere of me standing inside the wheel when I was about 7. :cool: