PDA

View Full Version : Engine Oil's, whats best etc??

scott.parker
25-03-11, 10:27 PM
So as per title, I'm trying to find out what would be the best grade/brand of oil to use in my XE, i think that i have been using 10/40 grade, but was wondering whats the factors of different types, full/part synthetic etc, and the thicker viscosity's, and how they effect the engine, EG is to thick worse as the engine has to work harder??

All info welcome.

Scott

General Baxter
25-03-11, 10:31 PM
too thin when warm wont have enough pressure to fill the lifters thats all i can remember lol

bazil
25-03-11, 10:34 PM
i just remember the adverts on the back of CCC with the Mobile 1 astra gsi rally car lol so em mobile 1 should do

mowgli
25-03-11, 10:38 PM
mobil 1... cleverly came in a small enough can, so you had to buy 2 of them.

even cheap oil will be fine, but it is the service life that differs. synth & semi synth is all about extended service intervals.. if you are filling a track day car, then i'd say use cheap stuff & change it after every track day.
i would say that a 15w/50 is probably better for hard use too.

bazil
25-03-11, 10:41 PM
i thought the XE was designed to run fully synthentic oil? could and most probably be proved wrong though

mowgli
25-03-11, 10:42 PM
i thought the XE was designed to run fully synthentic oil? could and most probably be proved wrong though

i doubt it very much.. but migweb will have people believe most things...

Edd
25-03-11, 10:43 PM
I've always used GM stuff

Get it at trade so it's cheap

bazil
25-03-11, 10:44 PM
i doubt it very much.. but migweb will have people believe most things...

nope i cant weld for shoite and dont like russian planes so it was the adverts that got me.

Jack
25-03-11, 10:44 PM
I thought the usual old GM 10W40 was mineral?

I did read an interesting article (i.e. not one by oilman lol) about why synthetic was better than mineral or semi, but it was ages ago and I've forgotten it all now lol

Agreed with mowgli on a thicker oil if the car is working hard and getting hot though. Just make sure you let it warm up properly before using it.

scott.parker
25-03-11, 10:46 PM
Humm, I'll go shopping tomorrow then, probably buy Comma stuff again, but try get some part synth 15/50..

bazil
25-03-11, 10:47 PM
VAG recommend 5-30 fully synthetic for modern turbo engines, and its longlife service intervals so IMO synthetic offers longer protection ( scania also agrees )

Edd
25-03-11, 10:49 PM
5/30w in my z20let as well went black as fook all the time tho did a chane every 4k lol

GM do 10/40w in mineral and semi I've gone with the semi

scott.parker
25-03-11, 10:54 PM
10/40 semi is in it now, though it goes thin and black quite quickly..

mowgli
25-03-11, 10:55 PM
VAG recommend 5-30 fully synthetic for modern turbo engines, and its longlife service intervals so IMO synthetic offers longer protection ( scania also agrees )

its called euro 5 emissions... we run some euro 4 scanias & they run on 'normal oil' the later stuff needs synthetic oil so that it doesn't block the particle traps.

bazil
25-03-11, 10:58 PM
yup, all our fleet, around 50 scanias run fully synthetic oil and as you know no add blu, better service intervals etc etc still if it IS a track engine i would only use per event then change as said earlier

a stoopid link http://www.aa1car.com/library/motor_oil_605.htm

scott.parker
25-03-11, 11:01 PM
Yeah but who really refreshes there oil that much? My track cars engine is lucky to get used enough to warrant changing it more them once every 12-14 months..

Stuart
25-03-11, 11:02 PM
Scott, for mildly abusive use I'd look at Millers CFS 10W60.. I ran that as my everyday oil in the VX as I got it 'cheap' (£30ish for 5L from the local factors).
10W40 would 'do' but you might run into trouble at higher temps if you are abusing it hard.
If it soots up fast (petrol engine) I'd get a leakdown test done to ensure the rings arent fecked, and that you arent running too rich on the fuelling.

The Clio uses 5W40 oil and its got Triple R in at the moment but will soon be dropped for some Bardhal 5W40 stuff as I'm getting a sample of that cheap :) and it does well in the timken bearing tests etc.

I've found it hard to find any decent oil articles on the net as 95% of uk car forums are spammed to death by oilman that you cant seem to get a clean break on google lol

bazil
25-03-11, 11:03 PM
how much is 5 litres of oil compared to an engine rebuild?

Edd
25-03-11, 11:07 PM
£30 for 5 litres ?!?! :eek: :eek:

I get 20L for £28 at Vauxhal

Stuart
25-03-11, 11:09 PM
£30 for 5 litres ?!?! :eek: :eek:

I get 20L for £28 at Vauxhal

Meh, I know that 10/60 will take everything I could ever throw at it and keep things running fine.... in the back of a car the engine gets shag all cooling ;)

I know tradeclub oil is good value if you dont mind dropping it all the freaking time.

bazil
25-03-11, 11:09 PM
lol £45 for 4.5 lites of castrol longlife vag approved oil lollollol

scott.parker
25-03-11, 11:10 PM
Scott, for mildly abusive use I'd look at Millers CFS 10W60.. I ran that as my everyday oil in the VX as I got it 'cheap' (£30ish for 5L from the local factors).
10W40 would 'do' but you might run into trouble at higher temps if you are abusing it hard.
If it soots up fast (petrol engine) I'd get a leakdown test done to ensure the rings arent fecked, and that you arent running too rich on the fuelling.

The Clio uses 5W40 oil and its got Triple R in at the moment but will soon be dropped for some Bardhal 5W40 stuff as I'm getting a sample of that cheap :) and it does well in the timken bearing tests etc.

I've found it hard to find any decent oil articles on the net as 95% of uk car forums are spammed to death by oilman that you cant seem to get a clean break on google lol

lol i should of asked on Fakeboob as i knew it would only be the normal replies about other stuff, but once again Stu you reply to the question and give me some info to think on...

Thanks mate..

Scott

Stuart
25-03-11, 11:11 PM
lol £45 for 4.5 lites of castrol longlife vag approved oil lollollol

Hmm I know I paid about £45, but I got a shed load more than 4.5L of VAG approved oil ;) lol

bazil
25-03-11, 11:12 PM
Hmm I know I paid about £45, but I got a shed load more than 4.5L of VAG approved oil ;) lol

i didnt even get a bum rape:( just shafted

John
25-03-11, 11:23 PM

;) lol

mowgli
25-03-11, 11:25 PM
we pay £1.31+vat for top quality 15w40 in bulk. it does 25000miles between changes in our wagons. my e16se seems to like it too.

scott.parker
25-03-11, 11:28 PM
Humm, any spare mate, might be cheaper in fuel to travel to you and buy that then buy some good stuff from the motor factors! lol

mowgli
25-03-11, 11:29 PM
just get some gm 15w50, its cheap enough & quite good.

Edd
25-03-11, 11:30 PM
Expensive oil really is just different packaging IMO

Can't see the point in it myself

Novasport
25-03-11, 11:30 PM
The 888 gets Vauxhalls Fully Synthetic, about £18 with my staff discount :)
Vauxhalls Semi Synthetic is hard to beat for price.
The Sport has been run on Castrol RS Fully Synthetic for years. I use Castrol TWS Motorsport(Same as RS) which is 10w-60 for use in M3's.
Have used Valvolene Racing on a previous car and I can recommend that if its still available.
Do a rebuild then run it on Castrol R, you cant beat the smell of that stuff.
Its castor oil and needs changing very regularly.

scott.parker
25-03-11, 11:31 PM
Reckon pop into my local Vaux sales garage and ask at the part counter then?

Ill ask how much the comma stuff is too..

mowgli
25-03-11, 11:31 PM
castrol R is the best thing about classic car racing..the smell is intoxicating..

Edd
25-03-11, 11:34 PM
Reckon pop into my local Vaux sales garage and ask at the part counter then?

Ill ask how much the comma stuff is too..
I would

If you buy 20L at one go that's makes it cheaper too

scott.parker
25-03-11, 11:41 PM
Well plans are, get some more oil (two lots...) already got my champion filter, drain/replace run up to temp etc and then drain off and replace with some better stuff for the final fill..

Check for leaks, stop any with some sealant etc.

Tax it fill with V power and then in for mapping Tues 5th, all ready for Combe on the 9th.

Scott

Lee H
25-03-11, 11:54 PM
I run the Vauxhall semi 10w 40 in my Nova LET and MR2 turbo which is great as it's so cheap.

Apparantly the Civic won't like it though so got 5l Millers XFS 5w 40 fully synthetic and it cost as much as 20l of the Vaux stuff.

Seems to be the newer engines that like the fancy oils from what I've seen.

Novasport
26-03-11, 12:18 AM
Civics run Shell Helix as manf recommendation dont they?

MK999
26-03-11, 12:33 AM
If you're running a higher RPM than standard (which you should be on ITB's I imagine?) Get something slightly thicker as the shear rate will be higher and it will heat up and thin on the crank/cams etc. That being said all grades of oil converge at a certain point of viscosity if the shear rate and temperature are high enough. In an F1 engine at top RPM whether it goes in as treacle or gnats piss, at the cams/crank it's gnats piss either way.

I'd go with fully synth too, if it ever overheats it stops the mineral in semi breaking down and going like water. Always run fully synth in my cars ever since the 1.2i overheated and cooked the semi, saves changing the oil if it overheats and also protects the engine a tad better if it does. Vital for turbo's too, GM actually recommended semi for the 1.5TD but you may as well fill it with 0w/0w as that's what it's all like once it's been round the turbo once.

As for all oil being equal, on road cars it's true to a point, factor in performance and modern tolerances and you can write a 300+page paper on it, I know because I've got an extract from one lol

Stuart
26-03-11, 08:07 AM
Well plans are, get some more oil (two lots...) already got my champion filter, drain/replace run up to temp etc and then drain off and replace with some better stuff for the final fill..

Check for leaks, stop any with some sealant etc.

Tax it fill with V power and then in for mapping Tues 5th, all ready for Combe on the 9th.

Scott

I'd map on 95 personally... but thats just me being practical rather than power hungry

scott.parker
26-03-11, 03:21 PM
Got some quotes from my local factors
(vaux parts guys had gone home at 12, woops...)

So, Valvoline VR1 5w-50 £27.93 for 5ltrs
Or as recommended by the guys who work there and drive sierra cosworths
Mobil 1 15w-50 at mates rates of £35.00 instead of £52.85+vat

BUT i will call into vaux on Monday after work to see what they can do.

Scott