PDA

View Full Version : A couple rebuild questions

Plug
25-03-11, 09:30 AM
Ok seeing as the let is a little more worse for wear i've decided to replace the bearing's and ring's.

with the bearings i've noticed they do standard, .25 and .5 does it matter which ones i get?

also i have a new c16xe water pump laying around and would like to know if its the same as a let water pump.

next i need new wheel bearings but what ones do i get? I'm using motorsport drive shafts if that helps.

cheer's joe

bmw156
25-03-11, 09:35 AM
yes the big end bearings matter!

you need to know or measure the excisting ones. and then buy accordingly. i would suspect that they are standard.

p.s the .25 or .5 doesnt sound like much but its a massive difference in engine terms.

i would say no the water pump wont fit. the XE/LET ones are cheap anyway!

and wheel bearings, unless your running enlarged bearings you should be on standard, maybe PM browney as he deals alot with hubs etc.

Plug
25-03-11, 09:45 AM
Ok cheer's for that i went out and bought 1.6 cav wheel bearings and they look way way to big.

will get some cell's for my measuring gauges and measure the bearing's when i remove the crank.

when it comes to piston ring's i'm getting the bore's honed so i'm guessing i'll want larger ones. Do i get some then get the machine shop to make them fit?

Iain
25-03-11, 09:54 AM
Don't make the same mistake I did; Before you go buying parts measure everything up to make sure standard sizes will be OK (e.g. I bought new bearings then found my crank was undersize and needed a regrind and +.25 bearings)

Plug
25-03-11, 10:07 AM
Ok well i'll get the gauge's out on saturday and measure every thing over and over before i go ordering anything.

Iain
25-03-11, 10:09 AM
My mate used a fancy looking thing he walked down the bores of my XE block to see if they were out of round, over size, etc, you got one of those?

Dayle_
25-03-11, 10:18 AM
I've just rebuilt my C16XE and luckily when I had checked, someone has rebuilt it in the past the bearings that were already in there were .25 over size, same with the pistons they were .50 over size.

The crank was fine but i replaced the bearings for piece of mind as one of they had a score mark all the way around.

I also replaced the piston rings too for piece of mind as the bore was fine but one of the rings has a slight chip out of is.

If you look at the pistons and the shells they should somewhere be marked with what size they are.

Standard ones should say STD

Mine said +.5 and she shells said +.25

(i ordered the wrong size piston rings at first as i didnt know it had been bored untill i measured and cleaned the pistons up).

Dayle_
25-03-11, 10:23 AM
Ok cheer's for that i went out and bought 1.6 cav wheel bearings and they look way way to big.

will get some cell's for my measuring gauges and measure the bearing's when i remove the crank.

when it comes to piston ring's i'm getting the bore's honed so i'm guessing i'll want larger ones. Do i get some then get the machine shop to make them fit?

If there is no lip visable around the top of a block and you can't feel it just get the rings that go with your pistons, thats if you are only honing. When i just did this the ring gap was 3 tho tighted than the rings that were already in there due to wear.

There is a difference between rebore and honing so you will probably just need new standard size rings not +.25/.50

Hope this helps.

mowgli
25-03-11, 10:37 AM
plug, if you take the crank & block to a decent machine shop, they will measure the stuff, supply any bits you need & make sure they'll fit, and if they cock it up, they carry the can

Dayle_
25-03-11, 10:40 AM
plug, if you take the crank & block to a decent machine shop, they will measure the stuff, supply any bits you need & make sure they'll fit, and if they cock it up, they carry the can

I agree with this too, you could still re-build it if you wan't that experience but if your unsure on what you need then leave it to the pro's i know the first time i had an engine done i had them rebuild the bottom end and they charged something like £80 and checked all the clearences with plastigauge etc.

Plug
25-03-11, 11:09 AM
Well the thing is im getting a mate to rebuild it was just going to get it all ready for him. May just get the machine shop to do it thou if the price is right.

do you think its worth getting oil squirter's put in? Whilst its all apart and is it expensive

mowgli
25-03-11, 11:21 AM
well, it depends.... the engine has only managed about 100k miles without them

bmw156
25-03-11, 11:27 AM
the piston rings will be sold in the same way as the bearings, size wise. so get what you need.

a hone is a light clean. and a rebore is when it makes it bigger. so a hone wont need bigger rings. just STD ones.

in my blue chevette build i have pics of the engine build of the XE, might be useful for you.

and even after i rebuilt my XE self tought, and with loads of advice, i still havent started it and dont have much faith in it.

mowgli
25-03-11, 11:41 AM
martin, a hone is a clean up of what is there... a decent rebuilder will measure the bore, and then most likely get the next oversize ring, and then file them down to match the bore..it is a ball acher of a job, but you get a longer lasting seal.

bmw156
25-03-11, 12:38 PM
martin, a hone is a clean up of what is there... a decent rebuilder will measure the bore, and then most likely get the next oversize ring, and then file them down to match the bore..it is a ball acher of a job, but you get a longer lasting seal.

ohhhhh. thats cool

whats the average life of piston rings?

mowgli
25-03-11, 01:10 PM
well, that all depends on the strength of the right foot....

for hard road useage, i'd expect 50k from a gm engine......but that all depends on cold starting etc........ you might wear them out in 10k. on a LET, there are tons of variables to do with the ecu, and other mods to even hope to name a mileage.

Dayle_
25-03-11, 01:11 PM
Thats like asking how long's a piece of string. The likes of a 10k 1400cc screamer like we ran in the BTRDA needed them every 500 competative miles.