PDA

View Full Version : gearbox performance mods.

mikeoxford
17-06-03, 11:39 PM
ok

i dont quite understand.

whats a diff gona help me do and what will it achieve?

what is this final drive or different part of the gearbox cluster off an astramax diesil van or something i can use?

is there some other gearing or cluster inside i can change to get better times on the pod when i get the rebore?

Dan
18-06-03, 12:02 AM
mike what u need is a 4.18 as i have done. i found mine in a f10.5 wide ratio box, a diff will limit the amount of wheelspin you get and help with the launches, see the vids of me and why a diff might help lol, too much spin not enough gogo. these retail at around ?550 so not cheap.

mark_GSi
18-06-03, 06:51 PM
a 4.18 is a diff then???

can i fit 1 2 my f13???

has a f13 even got 1??

sorry not 2 clued up on boxes

thanks

Aragorn
18-06-03, 07:21 PM
the "4.18" is the final drive ratio

its a ratio of the number of teeth on the box output shaft and the diff input shaft iirc

the diff is the differential - this is what actually drives the wheels

under most driving conditions both wheels aint goin round at the same speed - u turn into a corner the inside wheel travels less distance than the outside one

the diff allows for this, however the standard ones have no limit - for instance if one wheel has no traction and one has lots - the diff will shunt all the power to the wheel with no traction - since its easier for it to turn a wheel with no traction

what an LSD (or limited slip diff) does is stops this unlimited power shunt to one side - it ensures that the power is evenly balanced between the front wheels within reason - ie u can still corner with it ;)

the reason for this is when u launch u will notice that both front wheels rarely spin (u notice this in "burnouts" too, normally one wheel will break loose first and then that wheel will generate loads of smoke and the other only a litte since its easier for the diff to shunt power to the spinning wheel) the diff keeps power evenly balanced between the front wheels so u get more traction and better starts

Snowface
18-06-03, 09:35 PM
a diff lock if thats what ur referring to, is where bothe wheels spin rather than just 1. Basically when you go round a corner 1 of the front wheels (outer) goes round faster than the other.

But a diff lock locks the differential so they go round at exactly the same speed, thus making both wheels spin and turn at the same speed (not 1 faster than the other).

2wd Tractors have them so that when they get stuck in mud the engage the diff lock and both wheels turn to get them out rather than 1 spinning and 1 not doing anything.

elsey197
19-06-03, 12:31 PM
Dan where are the vids of you at the pod? :)

cornish
19-06-03, 01:07 PM
Theres a couple of vids of Dan's car posted in muppet corner by Dicko.