PDA

View Full Version : DaaMpeRs!!

Mcgowan
23-03-11, 11:55 PM
Can you get shortened dampers as i can't seem to find them anywhere!! I've been assured that you can however! also does anyone have any pictures comparing how much smaller they are than standard as i will need as short as poss!!
Thanks guuuyyyyyssss!!!!!:thumb:

nova_saloon
24-03-11, 12:11 AM
i thought most uprated one were shorter then standard to stop the springs falling out anyways

Danny s-p
24-03-11, 12:43 AM
i thought most uprated one were shorter then standard to stop the springs falling out anyways :thumb: most are mate

nova_saloon
24-03-11, 12:51 AM
yes... thats why i said it lol!

Dayle_
24-03-11, 12:05 PM
If you contact the likes of Nigel at Avo they can make custom dampers. Friend of mine has just had some short bodied ones made for the rear of his C2R2.

Mcgowan
24-03-11, 04:52 PM
Nova-saloon and Danny I thought they were but got told they would not be short enough for what i need as i need them for 110mil springs!!lol

And Dayle cheers mate i'll get onto it now!! :thumb:

wwmnw
24-03-11, 05:15 PM
Why on earth would you want to go that low?

Iain
24-03-11, 05:17 PM

You are so uncool.

jonn
24-03-11, 05:24 PM
my fk rear shock and standard
http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp297/jonny057/Picture009.jpg

Bubba
24-03-11, 05:25 PM

not low enough imo :cool:

Andy
24-03-11, 05:27 PM
I cant understand that either,when you consider the area he lives in is speedbump city:tard: lol

Ben
24-03-11, 06:35 PM
having drove nova's -60mm i cant imagine how uncomfortable a 100+mm drop would be.

t45_ste
24-03-11, 06:41 PM
Gaz make them. Give them a ring.

Jack
24-03-11, 06:41 PM
Uncomfortable ride quality gets you big up nuff respekt though!

wwmnw
24-03-11, 07:09 PM
Unless its a dedicated track car then fair enough, but even then I thought the CV's would lock out that low?

Edit: Lol didn't see the replies on the first page, I'd rather have a spine and (some) teeth than look cool lol

"Rather be dead than cool"

tommy8252
24-03-11, 07:18 PM
What are they goin on a hatch or loon? My loon is dropped 80mm and comfort is the same as my old one which was dropped 40mm.

Stuart
24-03-11, 08:12 PM
GAZ via the club discount would be even lighter on your pocket ;)

Andy
24-03-11, 09:07 PM
GAZ via the club discount would be even lighter on your pocket ;)
Are you on commision or what? lol

John
24-03-11, 09:09 PM
Damn, i thought this was a thread about damper :(

mowgli
24-03-11, 09:11 PM
nope this is a completely different fluid filled object that goes up & down in jerky movements...

John
24-03-11, 09:12 PM
nope this is a completely different fluid filled object that goes up & down in jerky movements...
FLOL lol

BRoadGhost
24-03-11, 09:32 PM
The reason why the ride would seem "crashy" on a -60 / -80 / -100 drop isn't actually about the shocks & springs; so much as how they are connected.

Might seem hard to understand but ride comfort isn't actually dictated by the reduction in ride height.

Benn
24-03-11, 09:33 PM
Unless its a dedicated track car then fair enough, but even then I thought the CV's would lock out that low?

Edit: Lol didn't see the replies on the first page, I'd rather have a spine and (some) teeth than look cool lol

"Rather be dead than cool"

Why do you think the Cvs would die?

Remember as std a nova shaft points at a down wards angle.

Make it very low (mine is 80-90ish) at the front and my shafts right up a very small upwards angle.

What is the diff? Up or down there is still angle there, CV joins are build to be able to run at angles.

BRoadGhost
24-03-11, 09:41 PM
Understand Benn that the CV's aren't killed so much by the angle of the shaft going into the bearing, more so the distance reduced on a standard length driveshaft pulling the knuckle out.

Benn
24-03-11, 09:47 PM
I do, but same thing, angle up or down that distance will be the same no? The way i see it, it would be...

Stuart
24-03-11, 10:31 PM
Moving the knuckle up the arc (lowering the car) will compress the CV joint so you maybe running on max plunge and that would load it up badly..... This is all speculation due to not knowing how much plunge you actually have on GM shafts.

Spring choice and damper settings dictates ride 'feel' (basically, there is other crap involved but the novas suspension is pretty naff lol)

BRoadGhost
25-03-11, 08:43 AM
Well maybe not so much compress, but pull out; you're reducing the distance between the 2 CVs. Lowering is plagued by the resulting castor & camber on a nova setup; when you lower the front or rear the wheel base gets shortened. Counter that along with some sensible other settings and I promise a win.

mowgli
25-03-11, 08:54 AM
i really don't think that the cv joints are the problem when lowering a nova massively, but the front geometry being massively altered will cause the wheels to do silly things, and lose grip.. and just altering the camber when stationary isn't enough... simply lowering the rear end so it bottoms out will just make the handling crap...see every lowered 106/saxo......

Mcgowan
25-03-11, 01:20 PM
My word!!!hahahahalol There's miles too many comments to reply to here and i can't remember who wrote what!!haha well they're to go on my saloon hang on a mo..................

This one!lolhttp://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq166/Boris_08/novaaa.jpg
Jack Obviously lowness gives you big up massive respect liiiiike Braaaaaaaaaaaaap!!!hahalol
Right here's my attempt for answers!!
I need shorter shocks as the springs don't sit in the seats at the front when they get to a certain amount of travel which is illegal! also i'm on the bump stops all round at the mo!!
Harsh ride?? Yup it's harder than Ron Jeremy's dick but thats how i like it!!lmao You all need to stop sounding so ooold!!haha lol :p
Err i think it was Mowgli who said about handling, well to answer your comment it handles like it's on rails!!lol
And Andrew Chancewoir it gets over speed bumps no probs as it is which bores me lots!!hahalol
Thanks for all your comments guys you've really helped me and i should be able to get it sorted out!:thumb: