PDA

View Full Version : guitar tuning help needed

mowgli
21-03-11, 08:05 PM
hi, my youngest daughter is about to start guitar lessons.. so i dragged the old guitar that my mum got me 30 years ago, and then discovered i had zero musical talent, from the loft. cleaned it, re strung it, and tried to tune it..

1. i have as already stated, no musical talent
2. i bought an electronic tuner thingummy
3. the damned thing has tuning figures for 7 strings... we only have 6 strings...

please can somebody let me know the notes for a six string so i can tune it.

the 7 are 7B 6E 5A 4D 3G 2B 1E

i'm guessing the bottom string is #1 and the top is #7, but any help on the subject will be + repped.

mk1nova_rich
21-03-11, 08:08 PM
Ignore the first B so its E to E and string 1 is the highest (pitch)

wwmnw
21-03-11, 08:20 PM
And a random tip, if you knock a string out of tune accidentally you can tune it in by holding down on the 5th fret of the string above it (keeping the one below it open) and strum the two strings together, they should sound the same, except for the 4th string where you hold down on the 4th fret and keep the 5th string open.

If that's confusing google it lol

Edit: And that's for standard tuning only.

mowgli
21-03-11, 08:23 PM
its not confusing, unless your musical talents are as leaden as mine.

wwmnw
21-03-11, 08:27 PM
Is it an electric or acoustic guitar you've given her? I've got an amp that would be perfect for a beginner, 15w thing cheap for you :thumb:lol

MK1_Ben
21-03-11, 08:31 PM
E A D G B E = Standard tuning :)

Tune all the strings "roughly" then go back and tune them all again. Generally as you tighten up the G B and E it will pull on the bridge in turn making the Lower E etc go out of tune again :)

mowgli
21-03-11, 09:22 PM
Is it an electric or acoustic guitar you've given her? I've got an amp that would be perfect for a beginner, 15w thing cheap for you :thumb:lol

bathfart, the hint is in the first post......even i wouldn't drag an electric guitar from the loft after 30 odd years......

Lee
21-03-11, 09:36 PM
Edd Ate Dynamite, Good Bye Edd.

I still remember that from when I used to play many moons ago.

wwmnw
21-03-11, 09:46 PM
bathfart, the hint is in the first post......even i wouldn't drag an electric guitar from the loft after 30 odd years......

Was worth a try lol

mowgli
21-03-11, 09:56 PM

why does that sound like spuds theme tune?

MK999
21-03-11, 10:47 PM

I found it easy enough to remember EADGBE, then again I can also remember the postcode where I bought my nova shell 2 years ago and also Chimps house that I've been to maybe 3 times lol

brainsnova
21-03-11, 10:56 PM
YouTube tuning a guitar :thumb: