PDA

View Full Version : Head Gasket

Vausey_Nova_Knotla
21-03-11, 02:54 PM
Is it Easy to do on a 1.6 8v engine?:thumb:

mowgli
21-03-11, 02:58 PM
yes, undo the fuel lines & just enough wiring, and remove it with the inlet manifold on. but iirc remove the exh manifold for clearance

shed-on-wheels
21-03-11, 03:32 PM
as said above inlet on exhaust off and make sure you time this up corectly lol

Vausey_Nova_Knotla
21-03-11, 03:54 PM
How much would i be looking for some one to do this?

maddogdaz666
21-03-11, 04:28 PM
like they said its quite simple as long as the head doesnt need skimming.

tom reid
21-03-11, 04:34 PM
Its an easy job on it's own, but while it's off get the head stripped, cleaned and inspect the guides for wear and the seats for burning/pitting.

swedge
21-03-11, 04:40 PM
ive just done the headgasket on my c14se cant be much different from the 1.6 8v

has the headgasket gone? overheating or losing water?

if so id get the head skimmed or check it to see if its warped

mowgli
21-03-11, 04:42 PM
its only just been fitted & run, so i'm guessing the cold weather did it....

i'll leave the lid on the worm can for today

swedge
21-03-11, 04:44 PM
haha was about 4 pages last time lol

mowgli
21-03-11, 04:46 PM
yes, and i hated being the only person who was right as well

Vausey_Nova_Knotla
21-03-11, 04:49 PM
its only just been fitted & run, so i'm guessing the cold weather did it....

i'll leave the lid on the worm can for today

well im going to do a oil / filter change on it see if that makes change thanks for your replies

mowgli
21-03-11, 04:51 PM
what is it doing wrong? they can be a bit of a sod to bleed the air out, you need the heater on hot, and then mess about with all the pipes to push the air thru, is the expn tank to rad pipe getting the air thru?

swedge
21-03-11, 04:53 PM
like mowgli said put all the heaters on fill with water and start her up

squeeze the pipes to help get the air out

Vausey_Nova_Knotla
24-03-11, 09:05 AM
Did oil filter change and there is still the white **** on oil filler cap old oil looked fine thoug how can i get moisture out of the engine if its not h/gasket? ill try the squeeze pipes thing thanks

Vausey_Nova_Knotla
24-03-11, 09:07 AM
what is it doing wrong? they can be a bit of a sod to bleed the air out, you need the heater on hot, and then mess about with all the pipes to push the air thru, is the expn tank to rad pipe getting the air thru?

Im getting the white gunky stuff on oil filler cap, did oil filter yesterday ran car to work (10 mile) and still getting the white crap... :cry:

mowgli
24-03-11, 02:46 PM
unless the coolant level is dropping, then there probably isn't a head gasket problem, have you cleaned the breather screen?? cos a blocked breather can cause a bit of mayo

Vausey_Nova_Knotla
24-03-11, 04:13 PM
unless the coolant level is dropping, then there probably isn't a head gasket problem, have you cleaned the breather screen?? cos a blocked breather can cause a bit of mayo

Made me smile mayo.. so many names for it... any how no i havent fella how do i do this? is this from the big tube coming from the rocker cover? thanks rob

mowgli
24-03-11, 04:14 PM
the breather screen is inside the rocker cover, you can replace them, or just clean them up. my fave method involves fire & petrol...