PDA

View Full Version : c20xe water pump trouble... can you answer this?

Voodoo
17-06-03, 02:25 PM
Ok, three questions for the xe experts:

How long will a water pump that's already leaking and skreeching last?
Can I reuse a cambelt that has done maybe 2-3000 miles (haynes says no)?
Can I change the water pump without removing the engine (valver nova)?
All this because my daft mechanic said it was ok when he changed the cambelt!!! :x

Austin_Nova16
17-06-03, 02:45 PM
1. Get it changed asap just incase it does go

2. Get a new cambelt just to be sure. It isn't a lot of maoney, so is well worth it...especially if you like the limiter action.

3. unsure about this one. Have a go, and if i doesn't work, try dropping the block down a bit....if sall else fails, take it out...

_Ben_
17-06-03, 09:10 PM
Dont risk running the engine if the pump is at this stage.

Replace the cambelt, they're not very expensive.

When I replaced mine I removed the drivers side mount and gearbox front mount - only loosened the gearbox rear mount. Lowered the engine using a big jack. You might want to keep an eye on the alternator pulley as you lower the engine, it will catch the chassis leg.

I also disconnected the oil cooler pipes (assuming you have one fitted).

Good luck.

fearless
17-06-03, 10:20 PM
If the water pump bearings collapsed (could happen at any time with your pump at this stage) the belt looses it's tension and the rest is history (An expensive head/valve repair)

Get it sorted asap - your belt should b ok if it's not contaminated with oil - but for the sake of 25 quid i wouldnt hesitate putting a new belt on (peace of mind!!!)

I've dun a few waterpumps on 2 ltr novas - quite easy to remove belt/pullies/backing cover and undo the pump but to actually get the pump from between the chassis leg and the engine is like trying to get a round peg into a square hole!!!!

I've found the easiest way is to remove the o/s/f engine mount and jack the engine up as high as u can - and u can just about get the pump out !!!