PDA

View Full Version : C20xe Starter problems

R1Adam
17-03-11, 01:57 PM
heyy everyone

So here is what's going down. i have a c20xe nova on bike carbs and i have pretty much done most of it my self and its all ready to go but i just cant get the starter motor to work, when i turn the key the starter pops out but just doesn't turn the engine over and i am on my third starter motor and its brand new so this cannot be the problem. when the motor pops out the earth and the live wires get so hot to the point you can pull the outer casing off the wire with your thumb i am completely clueless and up to the point of just selling the car someone please help me .

thanks

rysmee
17-03-11, 03:00 PM
hey, sounds to me like its got a poor earth..
But first i assume the engine does turn over by hand ok?!!!
I'd start by double checking you've got a good earth to the chassis from the gear box and obviously the one on the battery.
A easy quick way to do this is to get a jump lead and put it straight from starter to the chassis making sure its got a good grip so you know it should be a good earth.
After this of course check your getting a good voltage down to the main feed to the starter (not just the solenoid).
If its still not working you have to start getting involved with drop testing and volt drop which is a good way to check if you have voltage where you shouldn't (in the earth line).
hope this helps
if and when you get it running let me know how it goes as i'm just finishing an XE and R1 tb's so will be interested to see how much power your making etc.
ryan.

R1Adam
17-03-11, 04:12 PM
yes the motor turns over freely its just been fully rebuilt and bored out so the figures maybe abit more than just a standard redtop.
i have just changed the live and the earth over on the starter motor the earth off the starter is going onto the block and as i changed the wires over noting seems to be happening but this could just be a poor earth as you say just going to try your theory now and will get back to you.
thanks

mowgli
17-03-11, 04:21 PM
there isn't an earth on the starter motor. it earths thru the engine block, via the earth strap on the gearbox to the battery earth...

if you have been playing with the wires on the starter, this will explain what is going wrong. you should have the big battery on, and the small ign switch one, then the wire from the other side of the solenoid goes into the starter body.

R1Adam
17-03-11, 05:25 PM
first off i havent earthed my gearbox as i wasnt sure to as a mate of mine whos a mechanic told me just to earth the starter to the block.
as what your saying makes sense so altogether i need
battery earth to chassis
battery earth to block
gearbox to chassis
and then just a positive to the starter and ign wire

also is their a certain place to earth the gearbox

thanks

mowgli
17-03-11, 05:28 PM
there is an earth point on the chassis near the lh mount, and there is a longer bolt on the gearbox to mount it to.

if the gearbox is earthed properly, then there is no need for a seperate earth to the engine, but if you want to fit one for extra reliability, then its not a bad idea.

Iain
17-03-11, 05:30 PM
All this talk of earths... Am I right in thinking the starter won't earth properly if the mounting surface has been painted over? Just asking as you say it's a refurbed engine.

mowgli
17-03-11, 05:32 PM
it could do, but the bolts usually snag enough paint off

R1Adam
17-03-11, 06:53 PM
got it working now after abit of rewiring thanks alot for the really appreciate it
:)