PDA

View Full Version : Taxing a car without logbook

rubachuk
17-03-11, 08:57 AM
I bought a car about 5 months ago and on Saturday night I got a text from the previous owner to say he'd just received the tax reminder for the car and he wanted to know if I'd received the logbook in my name. I checked through my documents and I hadn't. He said he'd get in touch with the DVLA about it. He said he sent the old logbook in, but my guess would be that he didn't.

I obviously need to tax this car before the end of the month and I'm not sure what the easiest way to do this will be.

Can I go down to the post office with my insurance and MOT and will they tax it for me? Basically, is there a way of taxing a car without a logbook?

Or, if the above isn't possible, is it easier if I ask the previous owner to tax it on line (provided it's OK that the insurance on the car will be in my name) and send him the money via paypal to cover it. I know he hasn't shown he is the most reliable person by not sending the logbook in, assuming that's what has happened, but he seems a good lad to be honest.

Advice appreciated.

Jack
17-03-11, 09:37 AM
IIRC, without a reminder form you need to have the V5. As for insurance, it doesn't matter who's name the insurance is in, just so long as the car is insured so thats no problem.

It should be fine for him to tax it on your behalf online. If he is (or you are!) a little wary about it, then simply have him post you the reminder form OR tell you the reference number on it as thats all you need for online tax :)

[edit] Just to confirm, the directgov site says its fine for someone to tax a car on your behalf using the reminder (V11) form.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_4022052

Get someone to tax your vehicle for you
Ask a friend or relative to tax your vehicle using the V11 reminder or V10 ‘Application for a tax disc’ with your Registration Certificate. They can put the tax disc on your vehicle if it is remaining in Great Britain or post it to you if the vehicle has been taken abroad.

rubachuk
17-03-11, 09:41 AM
I'll get the reminder reference number off him then, seems the safest way to do it, although I'll still need him to post the disc up to me because it will get posted to him rather than me I presume

Cheers

brownbear
17-03-11, 09:49 AM
If you tax it online the disc will be sent to the previous owners address!!

You can tax with the new keeper slip. (The little green slip)

Do not tax online unless you can collect from the previous owner!

Maxfield
17-03-11, 10:12 AM
I had to go to the DVLA office to tax my van with no logbook.

Applied for the logbook and taxed it at the same time.

Ben
17-03-11, 10:23 AM
I had to go to the DVLA office to tax my van with no logbook.

Applied for the logbook and taxed it at the same time.

Yeah this is your best option, go to your local office tax it there and then and apply for logbook at the same time.

rubachuk
17-03-11, 12:05 PM
I've got the new keeper slip so could use that. Can I just tax it at my local post office rather than the DVLA office?

I'll worry about the logbook when it's taxed

Grey
17-03-11, 12:16 PM
yes by using the little green slip you can use this at posty to tax it. :)

Jack
17-03-11, 04:32 PM
Of course yeah, forgot about the new keepers slip. Thats your best option.

Bubba
17-03-11, 05:36 PM
Of course yeah, forgot about the new keepers slip. Thats your best option.

i thought that was only valid for 6 weeks or something

Ben
17-03-11, 06:02 PM
no you can only tax them once with it, usually the post office will date stamp it when you tax it the first time and then wont do it if it already stamped.

Rich
17-03-11, 11:14 PM
or find a friendly post office that doesnt ask for mot/insurance docs lol

I taxed a 200sx with only the old tax disc lol

Ben
18-03-11, 08:48 AM
you used to be able to do it like that but these days they need to scan all the documents.