PDA

View Full Version : Use of lights

mk1nova_rich
16-03-11, 06:53 PM
I have been walking to work for the last few weeks and can't believe how many tosspot drivers there are on the road when it comes to using their lights properly...

a) people who think that the only time they need lights on is when its pitch black
b) people who drive with just their sidelights on
c) people who drive with just foglights on
d) people who just don't indicate

I get really irritated by these things lol discuss any bad driving habits that annoy you...

draper
16-03-11, 06:56 PM
why not drive with just your sidelights on if its only starting to get dark or very overcast ?

Spudly
16-03-11, 06:56 PM
I was gobsmacked at the amount of people using their foglights this morning, granted it was foggy but visibililty was almost normal, i could see twenty or so cars in front of me in traffic and nearly all had foglights on, theyre not needed you tossers, would you turn your wipers on when its not raining, no would you fook!

And i never bother with sidelights, they imo are only for use when pulling up/parking at the roadside on a night, when i put my lights on its full (no not high beam) beam or off lol

mk1nova_rich
16-03-11, 07:00 PM
As far as I know its actually a Highway Code offence to drive with sidelights on, as it also is to drive with foglights on when its not foggy.

smeagol65
16-03-11, 07:01 PM
people who cut you up,make mistakes but dont acknowledge the fact that there in the wrong,by saying sorry or similar.plus people who walk to work at early morning or evening and dont wear bright or reflective clothing lol

Spudly
16-03-11, 07:02 PM
Nothing to do with lights but one of the main things that pisses me off is when people drive with mirrors folded in, you can fail your test through lack of using your mirrors so why the fook is it not illegal to have them folded in/unusable:eek:

tommy8252
16-03-11, 07:04 PM
I run with sidelights on now to prepare myself for the new eu ruling regarding daytime running lights but it highly annoys me when people combine sidelights and foglights or running with foglights on and using foglights when its slightly foggy, not when visibility is reduced to the distances stated in the highway code.

draper
16-03-11, 07:09 PM
As far as I know its actually a Highway Code offence to drive with sidelights on, as it also is to drive with foglights on when its not foggy.

but the highway code isnt law :confused:

granted it includes laws/rules of the road but its more a set of guidelines

MK1_Ben
16-03-11, 07:09 PM
when it's evening but still sunny (not that half-dark evening light) I put my sidelights on, otherwise I just run with my dips on.

Drivers who have foglights on for no reason annoy me to no end, the joy of having 2 Rally Giants on the front of my car means when they glare you, just flick the spotlights on, they soon realise to turn their fog lights off ahha

mk1nova_rich
16-03-11, 07:10 PM
A set of guidelines which you are meant to follow surely?!

AlexW
16-03-11, 07:19 PM
I run with sidelights on now to prepare myself for the new eu ruling regarding daytime running lights but it highly annoys me when people combine sidelights and foglights or running with foglights on and using foglights when its slightly foggy, not when visibility is reduced to the distances stated in the highway code.

What, That does not affect the older cars, Its just all new cars have to have daylight running lights.

Bubba
16-03-11, 07:25 PM
main beams or not at all :)

Hoochie
16-03-11, 07:25 PM
Nothing to do with light but driving irritations....

At the moment where i live...... no one seems to know roundabout etiquette, it's starting to boil my p!ss lately, to see someone at every roundabout exit and no fooker knows who can go!!

Oh and here in Cumbria double yellow lines and bus stops are for parking on...:mad:

Jack
16-03-11, 07:30 PM
And i never bother with sidelights, they imo are only for use when pulling up/parking at the roadside on a night, when i put my lights on its full (no not high beam) beam or off lol
AFAIK the highway code says something along the lines of if the street is light by street lighting, its perfectly acceptable to drive with just your sidelights on even at night!

but the highway code isnt law :confused:

granted it includes laws/rules of the road but its more a set of guidelines
It is based on law though, and some of its regulations are defined by said laws. Foglights being one of them iirc.

Use of lights is one of my little pet hates as well really, and seems to be one (of the many) things that isn't really covered by the driving test. Ok, so its mentioned in the theory, but if you're lucky you might get one question about it.

I hate it when people right in front of me put their foglight on. Even if its foggy - granted visibility may be less than 100m or whatever it is, but if I'm the usual distance behind you, I can still see you. I usually end up dropping right back so that the person in front disappears into the fog, thus making their lights dimmer.

And the other thing is the aforementioned sidelights. Why do people insist on driving with headlights on dipped when its not dark? IMO headlights on dipped are for seeing the road ahead when its dark, and there's oncoming traffic. When its just a bit cloudy or overcast, or sunset, there's no real reason to have them on. The number of times I've driven along and actually found it harder to define cars because they have their headlights on dipped - sounds weird, but the brightness/glare seem to flare out the car itself.

Maybe its just me, running HIDs has made me quite sensitive to using headlights. And thats even with them setup properly so as not to glare or blind people!

[edit] Ding ding, we have a winner :d

You MUST

* ensure all sidelights and rear registration plate lights are lit between sunset and sunrise
* use headlights at night, except on a road which has lit street lighting. These roads are generally restricted to a speed limit of 30 mph (48 km/h) unless otherwise specified
* use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226)

Night (the hours of darkness) is defined as the period between half an hour after sunset and half an hour before sunrise).

tommy8252
16-03-11, 07:32 PM
What, That does not affect the older cars, Its just all new cars have to have daylight running lights.

Fair enough but wouldn't have thought it would be that big a leap for them to say older cars are to run with sidelights.

Andy
16-03-11, 07:33 PM
Hid's,and fukkin retards who have NO lights on in dense fog with next to no visibilty as per this morning round here

AlexW
16-03-11, 07:34 PM
IIRC there isn't a set distance for visibility during fog, IIRC it just says something about "severalty reduced visibility".

I never have my lights on unless its dark, Driving lights do my head in aswell.

Andy
16-03-11, 07:36 PM
IIRC there isn't a set distance for visibility during fog, IIRC it just says something about "severalty reduced visibility".

I never have my lights on unless its dark, Driving lights do my head in aswell.
Common fukkin sense should prevail??????
Some people think,ah it int dark,i doesnt need em.
Be seen!!!!

Hobbit
16-03-11, 07:45 PM

100 metres :thumb:

tommy8252
16-03-11, 07:46 PM
100 metres for rear, no set limit for fronts iirc

Spudly
16-03-11, 07:49 PM
100 metres for rear, no set limit for fronts iirc

Errr whats the point of the 100 metre visibility limit being out of the back lol

It will be front and rear i wouldve thought:thumb:

Jack
16-03-11, 07:49 PM
Nope, actually Alex is right, the RVLR merely states "Seriously Reduced Visibility" and not an actual distance. Highway code might state a distance, but this would only be advisory and not a legal requirement.

I suppose that then leaves the law open to a certain element of interpretation...

[edit] Spud, its the same as it being more important to have a rear foglamp. So people behind you can see you!

Hobbit
16-03-11, 07:51 PM
Errr whats the point of the 100 metre visibility limit being out of the back lol

cause not all cars have front fogs fitted :p

tommy8252
16-03-11, 07:52 PM

Rear to be seen and front to see.

Bubba
16-03-11, 08:00 PM
cause not all cars have front fogs fitted :p

imlucky and my rears dont work either lol neither do my reverse lights nor my number plate lights...my boot loom is fubar and i cannot find another one. although ive done very little night driving

marc69
16-03-11, 08:08 PM
I get fed up of everying driving with thier lights on all the time, blinding sometimes, especailly with fogs.

I use side lights when it is not totally bright out side, the reason is to make sure I am visible to other but I don't need any lights on to see.

People driving with lghts on all day are probably people who go on about the environment all the time...............

With all these lights on all the time, makes pedestrians and other users more vulenrable because all we see now even during the day is lights. If people can't see a whole car coming towards them during the day then they shouldn't be on the roads!

Theres a moan

Jack
16-03-11, 08:10 PM
Having at least one rear foglight is a legal requirement on cars first used after April 1980!

Reverse lights aren't a requirement, but number plate lights are too.

MK999
16-03-11, 08:42 PM
With all these lights on all the time, makes pedestrians and other users more vulenrable because all we see now even during the day is lights. If people can't see a whole car coming towards them during the day then they shouldn't be on the roads!

I like the supporting evidence for the new DRL's, less accidents when cars are fitted with them. Brilliant :thumb:

Now do a test where 90% of cars have them and people are as used to seeing it as they are car without them and see how the last 10% ramps up the statistics overall.

Are we just gonna loop in this cycle until all cars are fitted with mandatory flashing red orange blue and green beacons and police cars and ambulances are fitted with air raid sirens and flashbangs?

16v Nova Kev
16-03-11, 08:46 PM
my pet hate is folk that dont turn off their main beam.

phazer
17-03-11, 10:44 AM
And the other thing is the aforementioned sidelights. Why do people insist on driving with headlights on dipped when its not dark? IMO headlights on dipped are for seeing the road ahead when its dark, and there's oncoming traffic. When its just a bit cloudy or overcast, or sunset, there's no real reason to have them on. The number of times I've driven along and actually found it harder to define cars because they have their headlights on dipped - sounds weird, but the brightness/glare seem to flare out the car itself.

I used to think that until I bought my Audi with auto lights. Late afternoon it will switch the headlights on even though I think it's not required. Don't know why they are so sensitive but there you go. More and more new cars are coming with auto lighting so no point getting stressed anymore lol

VnoNovaD
17-03-11, 11:05 AM
Theres only one light that bothers me.....

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c327/frankthetank7731/bud-light.jpg

Full on or gtfo.

rubachuk
17-03-11, 12:14 PM
Nothing to do with light but driving irritations....

At the moment where i live...... no one seems to know roundabout etiquette, it's starting to boil my p!ss lately, to see someone at every roundabout exit and no fooker knows who can go!!

Oh and here in Cumbria double yellow lines and bus stops are for parking on...:mad:
I love this at roundabouts. I tend to be quite aggressive at them and just go if it looks like anyone's hesitant so I see it as a good thing.

On the downside I'm going to come up against someone with the same mentality one day and it's gonna get messy lol

paul james
17-03-11, 12:36 PM
People who have their fog lights on just because it "looks cool"

People sitting in parked cars going nowhere, facing oncoming traffic who have thier full beam lights on for no reason.

The number of cars I see on the road where only 1 headlight is working is ridiculous. Guess most people don't check anything on thier cars these days, and are too dull to even notice their lights aren't so bright any more.

L33 LEG
17-03-11, 12:43 PM
AFAIK the highway code says something along the lines of if the street is light by street lighting, its perfectly acceptable to drive with just your sidelights on even at night!

Havnt read the thread fully but this got my attention. In my first 5 or so years of driving i was well known just for using my sidelights (must of thought it looked cool :roll: lol ) and no matter what time of night if it was a 30zone i would just have sidelights on. I used to get flashed constantly and pulled over and i kept saying that it was legal but nobody seemed to believe me, i knew i had read it somewhere.

However now i always drive with my headlights on even if it isnt dark, wierd how i've changed to the complete opposite...

mowgli
17-03-11, 01:40 PM
so far, most of you appear to be bitching about either bmw owners or police drivers, am i right???