PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Tank Differences??

MiniManDan118
15-03-11, 08:47 PM
Hi All

Been searching around and can't find an answer - what's the difference between the different GSI, standard etc fuel tanks for a hatch Nova? Mine's leaking badly and I'm need of a new one.

I'm running a C20XE, the tank has a pipe (return?) in the front of the tank in the middle, and a pipe out of the sender. Then a large for the filler neck, and a breather out of the side. It's got an aftermarket external fuel pump and filters in the boot. Any idea which one it is?

Cheers
Dan

bazil
15-03-11, 09:45 PM
Gsi/gte tank, and this was covered twice in the last 2 weeks

MattBrown
15-03-11, 09:50 PM
Gte/gsi, or a "mattbrown" special, where I weld some pipe to the sender, so I can run a propper pump on any tank, thus not having to buy £50 tanks for conversions:)

On a serious note probably gte/gsi.

The internal pumped (hole in floor see cable and pipe) is an spi tank.

A carbed car with a return is a 1200 or 1300 or 1400sr actually.

A 1.0 is all alone with no return!

bazil
15-03-11, 09:52 PM
Shall we start on the whole swirl pot debate again lollol

MiniManDan118
15-03-11, 10:40 PM
I think I have a MattBrown special, with some pipe welded into the sender... Hmmm...

bazil
15-03-11, 11:06 PM
No you don't, you have a gte/gsi tank with the gte/gsi sender

MiniManDan118
15-03-11, 11:20 PM
Rightho thanks. Sorry, didn't have time to search through, just typed in fuel tank into the search and hundreds of pages came up. I was under the car scratching heads when I posted up. Give me a Mini and I know what Im doing, a Nova on the other hand...

MattBrown
15-03-11, 11:21 PM
I think I have a MattBrown special, with some pipe welded into the sender... Hmmm...

lol.

2 cars local are using it, all it is is a pickup pipe for the fuel.

Lets them run walbro 255 pumps.

mowgli
16-03-11, 08:39 AM
from experience, using a non swirl pot tank means you need to drive round with 1/2 tank of fuel just to keep the pump primed on right hand bends...at current costs, its cheaper to get a proper gte/gsi tank than half fill a tank with petrol

grooge
18-03-11, 10:03 AM
from experience, using a non swirl pot tank means you need to drive round with 1/2 tank of fuel just to keep the pump primed on right hand bends...at current costs, its cheaper to get a proper gte/gsi tank than half fill a tank with petrol

i'm going to disagree, boy i know is running a 1200 carb tank on his xe nova, never ever has more than quarter tank and it runs fine. only noticed it on rh bends once or twice. he's got a gte tank but hasnt bothered fitting it because he feels theres no need.

mowgli
18-03-11, 10:46 AM
WELL MR GROOGE, HE SIMPLY ISN'T DRIVING IT FAST ENOUGH.......

if i needed one with a 1600 & 185/60r14 tyres and a spax kit, then he must be miss daisy's chauffeur

grooge
18-03-11, 11:03 AM
haha, i couldnt say if he is or not.

we'd heard it would be best changing it over but so far theres been no need so why bother