PDA

View Full Version : Japan

Jack
12-03-11, 01:52 PM
Looks like they're preparing for reactor leakage

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12720219

Officials ordered the evacuation zone around the plant expanded from a 10km radius to 20km. BBC correspondent Nick Ravenscroft said police stopped him 60km from the Fukushima-Daiichi plant.

Plans are being made to distribute iodine, which can be used to combat radiation sickness, to residents of the evacuation zone.

:eek:

NOV4_SPORT
12-03-11, 02:01 PM
Bad times.

iain

John
12-03-11, 02:15 PM
yeah proper bad :( Thought the fukushima plant should have been earthquake proof? Or is it the flood water that's done the damage?

Jayzer293
12-03-11, 02:28 PM
Sad times :(

Lewis.
12-03-11, 02:35 PM
yeah proper bad :( Thought the fukushima plant should have been earthquake proof? Or is it the flood water that's done the damage?

The papers just say the earthquake knocked out the cooling system and its overheating
But even if no one dares print it, the reactor will be verging on melt down, and I dont want to be around when things get worse :eek:

Edd
12-03-11, 03:01 PM
Sky news reports there is not going to a melt down

Bad times there tho :(

L14MNP
12-03-11, 03:06 PM
I heard it had melted down. I need to check.

It was said to be at 1.5 times the normal pressure yesterday when there was talk of needing to vent some radioactive gas to relieve the pressure.

Watching the videos of the tsunami coming inland is horrific. All those people... :(

craig green
12-03-11, 03:09 PM
Apparently the leakage shouldnt be at harmfull levels, in which case its nothing to worry about, esp for us thousands of miles away.

L14MNP
12-03-11, 03:12 PM
No overnight parts from Japan for a while!

A mate of mine is over there atm with work (Nissan). Can't remember where exactly, but not Yokohama as I assumed. That being said though, he says his hotel shook that hard that the utilities pipes were squashed flat against the building next to it!

Jack
12-03-11, 03:51 PM
Thought the fukushima plant should have been earthquake proof?
It is, in fact most things in Japan are, but not to this extent unfortunately.

I was under the impression the reactor was at critical temperature as the cooling had failed hence why it was building up pressure. They're pumping in water (as there's enough of it around at the mo!) to try and help cool it.

Does make you wonder what exactly the situation is though, as I don't think the Japanese government would tell everyone if it was about to go kaboom.

Andy
12-03-11, 03:53 PM
I think its worse than theyre telling people,why even have such things if its as dangerous as that?? even more so if its on earthquake avenue??!!!

TeddyThom
12-03-11, 03:54 PM
More of a case of surprise!! Oh noes the reactor has gone up. Sh!t.

L14MNP
12-03-11, 03:56 PM
Even if the structure of the buildings are, there is nothing that can be done if the water to cool it is disrupted.

Andy
12-03-11, 03:57 PM
so why do they have them if theyre ultra dangerous??

Jack
12-03-11, 03:59 PM
What, nuclear reactors?

Andy
yeah or nuclear power

L14MNP
What, nuclear reactors?

Tectonic plates. lol

L14MNP
12-03-11, 04:00 PM
yeah or nuclear power
Efficiency. To be fair, how often does a quake/tsunami of this magnitude occur though!

Adam
12-03-11, 04:02 PM
so why do they have them if theyre ultra dangerous??
Because its good and efficient way to produce energy

Mike
12-03-11, 04:02 PM
Apparently theres recently been a massive explosion at said nuclear reactor plant?

Andy
12-03-11, 04:03 PM
Because its good and efficient way to produce electricity
I realise this,but it seems its also a good way to cause panic and also efficient in killing people

Jack
12-03-11, 04:04 PM
Exactly, the japs aren't the kinda people to fcuk about like hippies saying how nuclear is baaad mkay, they just get on and do it. And do it well! They build their stuff to withstand all but the worst quakes.

It would be akin to over here, when it snows, our road network falls over. So why doesn't everyone drive round with snow tyres on all the time? Because the chance it snows enough to bring stuff to a standstill is minor (although it does happen lol)

The UK has a number of fault lines running through/near it too. There's nothing to stop us having an earthquake that big. If it happened, we'd be even more fcuked as our nuclear plants are even weaker! Although if Hinkley Point fell over, it'd wipe Bridgwater off the map. So not all bad really lol

Mike, the "explosion" was them venting pressure from the reactor core

Edd
12-03-11, 04:06 PM
According to reports it's in the highest ten quakes ever recorded

25ft waves :eek: that's bad stuff

Adam
12-03-11, 04:10 PM
I realise this,but it seems its also a good way to cause panic and also efficient in killing people
But its a case of "if,when, maybe, possibly" ........

The frequency of things like a quake that size happening does not out-weight the benefits of nuclear stations.

L14MNP
12-03-11, 04:11 PM
Might go up the coast with a net and see if a KPGC10 floats past. lol

Andy
12-03-11, 04:12 PM
But its a case of "if,when, maybe, possibly" ........

The frequency of things like a quake that size happening does not out-weight the benefits of nuclear stations.
Yeah i see what you mean,must be awful if locals who have took the brunt of the tsunami have survived to be then faced with the danger of radioactive shizzle

Jack
12-03-11, 04:14 PM
They've already evacuated the surrounding area. Not like over here where people would be told to prop a door against the wall at 45' angle and take some iodine tablets lol

Its not the first time they've had a load of radiation dumped on them...!

Edd
12-03-11, 04:16 PM
Although if Hinkley Point fell over, it'd wipe Bridgwater off the map. So not all bad really lol

Cheeky coont lol West Bridgwater is fine lol should be renamed Bridgwaterski going in the amount of Polish here tho :roll:

The chances of there being a quake here are very slim to fook all tbh

therealnovaboy
12-03-11, 04:17 PM
the fact is you will never know the extent of the damage. considering chernobyl was in 1986 and they didnt admit the extent of the fallout untill well after the meltdown.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5384001427276447319 - scary

Mike
12-03-11, 04:25 PM
You can actually get into Chernobyl as it not sealed, theres massive holes in the concerete enforcements.

There are a lot of pics on 28 Days.

Andy
12-03-11, 04:27 PM
You can actually get into Chernobyl as it not sealed, theres massive holes in the concerete enforcements.

hero,that site is ace to kill a few hours:thumb:

Mike
12-03-11, 04:28 PM
hero,that site is ace to kill a few hours:thumb:

The Rover Longbridge thread is a good read, along with some of the bunker threads in Germany.

therealnovaboy
12-03-11, 04:30 PM

ye. there curantly designing a new sarcofigus. you can go on holiday to the chernobyl. obviously the time you spend there is limited. it supposidly an eirie place where everything has been abandoned and not touched since 1986.

perhapse there are some mint novas lying around.:d

NovaLad
12-03-11, 04:31 PM

Just like the field in spain?

Wow! LOL

Mike
12-03-11, 04:38 PM
ye. there curantly designing a new sarcofigus. you can go on holiday to the chernobyl. obviously the time you spend there is limited. it supposidly an eirie place where everything has been abandoned and not touched since 1986.

Theres an entire car dealership full of old Fiat IIRC? There were pics on 28 Days, some of them broke in to the town kinda thing.

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=54543&highlight=chernobyl

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=54544&highlight=chernobyl

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=54546&highlight=chernobyl

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=54562&highlight=chernobyl

L14MNP
12-03-11, 04:42 PM
You have to watch it over there. The military don't approve! lol

Still washing on the lines etc. Very eery!

Mike
12-03-11, 04:48 PM
You have to watch it over there. The military don't approve! lol

Still washing on the lines etc. Very eery!

Have a nose through all four of the links I just edited in my post Limp :)

Link 3 & 4 are the better ones.

L14MNP
12-03-11, 04:53 PM
Probs seen em matey. I like the Longbridge one. I'm a regular 28DL lurker.

Will take another look. :thumb:

Mike
12-03-11, 04:58 PM
There was an epic Chernoybl thread on 28days of the exclusion zone but I cant find it :( showing all the stuff you aint supposed to see like.

Andy
12-03-11, 05:01 PM
plus rep mike,great stuff

mk1nova_rich
12-03-11, 05:03 PM
excellent links, always fancied visiting

Hayley
12-03-11, 05:53 PM
Is it wrong to be absolutely fascinated about stuff like that.? Something a bit creepy but really interesting about it all

But I have been watching the news footage all day of Japan. Really shocking. :( but if a nation can deal with an impending nuclear meltdown while getting over a Tsunami, then its Japan.. (or China)

I heard they get about 100 earthquakes a year?

Jack
12-03-11, 06:20 PM
Yeah, they get them quite often, albeit only usually minor shakes (similar to the sort we've had over here that makes the headlines lol). Thats why they're so well prepared for them most of the time.

LOL China, they'd just deny it happened and kill every citizen who said otherwise lol

Mike
12-03-11, 07:39 PM
Is it wrong to be absolutely fascinated about stuff like that.? Something a bit creepy but really interesting about it all

No, not at all!

I love braking in places & creeping around!

Some people call it burglary, others theft :tard: but its not my fault theres sometimes a massive great vault & cash machines & stuff lol lol

bazil
12-03-11, 07:50 PM
the fact is you will never know the extent of the damage. considering chernobyl was in 1986 and they didnt admit the extent of the fallout untill well after the meltdown.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5384001427276447319 - scary

did you know samples taken from the bed of Loch Ness contain a level of silt that point to the time when chernobyl had its melt down!

we aint to far from ther TBH

pikey1986
12-03-11, 08:02 PM
mike you have been repped, them pic's are great but i cba to read the words lol

therealnovaboy
12-03-11, 08:12 PM
did you know samples taken from the bed of Loch Ness contain a level of silt that point to the time when chernobyl had its melt down!

we aint to far from ther TBH

I could belive that. Theres sheep in scotland that cannot be used for human consumption. the nuclear fallout landed on the grass hillsides which the sheep ate. i think it was just recently that the sheep were tested to be within safe levels of radiation.

Jack
12-03-11, 11:28 PM

That explains the monster... one local eel gets a whiff of gamma and boom, 20ft long swirly monster thing lol

Mike
12-03-11, 11:29 PM
Hendrix just text me saying he's seen a Honda CRX in the TokyoFreeAds with a genuine 15 nuatical miles lol

wwmnw
12-03-11, 11:34 PM
Aint read the thread so this could have already been said.

I was talking to someone in work today that works at Hartlepool nuclear power station and I asked him about this, he said he doubts the reactor will blow up (like Chernobyl) but there is pipes that contain fuel that will probably explode.

Obviously if the reactor blows up its bad ****. If it already has I was at work so didn't know.

Jack
13-03-11, 11:57 AM
I can see this being great fodder for the hippies to start whinging on about how evil nuclear power is and putting us back about 50 years :roll:

[edit] FLOL the bbc has started its usual scaremongering (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-12723092) already lol

Stuart
14-03-11, 08:13 AM
Putting us back 50 years..... Thats nearly at Marie Curies time then!!!! our nuclear capabilities are stick in the sodding 50's still :(

Is it wrong to not really care about whats happening in Japone land?.... I mean its impressively scary, but its not happened here so its all fine etc.

VnoNovaD
14-03-11, 08:38 AM
Is it wrong to not really care about whats happening in Japone land?.....

Spose it depends on how much death gets squirted into the air + which way the winds blowing.

Its a small world.

But I wouldnt want to paint it.lol

Pancho
14-03-11, 09:29 AM
anyone else think this vid shows a full on nuclear explosion?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_N-wNFSGyQ

VnoNovaD
14-03-11, 09:35 AM

I havnt seen one to compare it with.
That bird looks like shes having a good think about it mind.

Stuart
14-03-11, 10:20 AM

Nope.

That was the hydrogen exploding. Most hot things make a 'mushroom cloud' due to the physics of fluids

TeddyThom
14-03-11, 10:28 AM
There was an epic Chernoybl thread on 28days of the exclusion zone but I cant find it :( showing all the stuff you aint supposed to see like.

Apparently there are tours you can take of Chernobyl IIRC, it was on some sort of documentary, they take you round most of the site and show you stuff. lol

Andy
14-03-11, 10:31 AM
costs £300 odd quid to tour the Pripyat village etc

There isnt enough panic in this thread btw

Jeff16v
14-03-11, 10:44 AM
More panic you say, didn't the fallout from Chernobyl land in wales????

I hear they've had fluffy white wool round the end of private parts ever since:d

VnoNovaD
14-03-11, 10:51 AM
There isnt enough panic in this thread btw

More likely to get stabbed on the way home from work than sneezy japanesey radio rays.

TeddyThom
14-03-11, 12:23 PM

I hear they've had fluffy white wool round the end of private parts ever since:d

Sounds like the norm for wales lmao

Andy
14-03-11, 12:28 PM

What i meant was,normally the tabloids etc cause worldwide panic among people over littlist things then they end up on the internet with even more ZOMFG PANNNNNIIIIIIC!!!!!

Jeff16v
14-03-11, 12:42 PM
I think the japs are doing a great job of playing it all down tbh. Its perfectly normal having nuclear reactors blowing themselves to pieceslol

Pancho
14-03-11, 12:46 PM
zomfg!!!!11 theres a volcanoe erupting now. oh wait it last erupted....

2 weeks ago. flol!!

Jack
14-03-11, 12:48 PM
They're over reacting (pun!) as it is, calling it an "explosion" :roll:

Can't really compare it to Chernobyl. That was some noddy soviets not knowing what they're doing and causing an (actual) explosion, which radiated nasty shiz for a good few weeks. Fukushima is them venting excess steam from the reactor, sure it contains radiation but its well within the non-toxic limits. They main reason they've evacuated is a mere precaution, and its the given procedure. If it was going to overheat and explode tbh I reckon it would have done it by now, the fact they've managed to keep the core cool enough til now kinda implies they have botched up a suitable cooling system and its working. The reactor is still earthquake proof, the only thing that would screw them up is if the thing leaked just as a tsunami rode on by and the molten uranium gubbins got in the water. THEN they'd be buggered!

Can't see the vid posted, is it the fuzzy one they've been spouting all over the news where the outer building falls down as they release pressure and causes a big cloud?

OMGZ NUCLEAR FALLOUT, I'm off to sit in my lead bunker with my tin foil hat on. lol

VnoNovaD
14-03-11, 01:00 PM
They're over reacting (pun!) as it is, calling it an "explosion" :roll:
. lol

Oh no.

Puns.

I think we might be heading for an all time (g)low....

Dayle_
14-03-11, 03:29 PM
They've now said that
"
1521: Fears of a partial meltdown at the Fukushima plant would appear to be growing, as Kyodo news agency reports that fuel rods in number 2 reactor are again "fully exposed"

Jeff16v
14-03-11, 03:37 PM
OMGZ NUCLEAR FALLOUT
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee77/gsijeff/protectme.jpg

mowgli
14-03-11, 03:50 PM
i'm married..... theres a nuclear fallout every month in my house.... whats the big deal?

Bubba
14-03-11, 06:31 PM
the fact they've managed to keep the core cool enough til now kinda implies they have botched up a suitable cooling system and its working. lol

Bodging FTW :thumb:

Lee
14-03-11, 06:32 PM
They've now said that
"
1521: Fears of a partial meltdown at the Fukushima plant would appear to be growing, as Kyodo news agency reports that fuel rods in number 2 reactor are again "fully exposed"

Cant be too bad. The worst thing that happened to me when my rod got exposed was being arrested.

Jeff16v
14-03-11, 07:27 PM
Cant be too bad. The worst thing that happened to me when my rod got exposed was being arrested.

lol

VnoNovaD
15-03-11, 07:09 AM
I think all of this panic about nuclear melt down is just a big Over Reaction..................

mowgli
15-03-11, 09:04 AM
has anyone else had the thought that this is just like one of those old godzilla movies..?

Jack
15-03-11, 10:17 AM
LMFAO yep!

With all the furore about the nuclear fuel burning a hole through the reactor core and melting into the ground, my mum says "whats under Japan anyway"... "Errrr... Godzilla?" lol

Stuart
15-03-11, 11:27 AM
if Godzilla isnt there, he soon will be with some radioactive gloop lol

L14MNP
15-03-11, 12:08 PM
I heard they were due to close down part of Fukishima plant this year. I smell insurance job. lol

VnoNovaD
15-03-11, 12:29 PM
I heard they were due to close down part of Fukishima plant this year. I smell insurance job. lol

Well, it IS an anagram of:

IM A SHAM FUK ;)

L14MNP
15-03-11, 12:32 PM
If that said shan it may be true. IMO it's horrific, but a few light hearted jokes don't make any difference.

I just hope that new shop in Sendai is ok. Things started off shaky but then the people came flooding in.

VnoNovaD
15-03-11, 02:50 PM
I feel sorry for them.
They look so sad.

I hate having to look at a jap sigh.

L14MNP
15-03-11, 02:55 PM
Maybe if they had their eyes fully open they would have seen it coming :/

mowgli
15-03-11, 02:55 PM
enough already........

Jack
15-03-11, 02:56 PM
Well, it IS an anagram of:

IM A SHAM FUK ;)
Not if you spell it right its not lol

L14MNP
15-03-11, 02:57 PM
I have many more, but wouldn't re-tell most.

It was great to see that 70 odd y/o guy picked up 9 miles out to sea on the roof of his house. I bet he thought he was done for three times!

Jeff16v
15-03-11, 03:03 PM
not my jokes

ITV News Reporter: '2,000,000 Japanese people left without water'

I dont think they've looked hard enough.

Sky News - "Japanese airports are full as hundreds of foreigners are fleeing the country..."

Maybe Britain needs an earthquake...

You know your country is ****** when Afghanistan sends $50,000 in aid.

I just rung my Japanese friend to make sure he was okay after the Tsunami and all he did was go on about his social life.

Just kept going on and on about a huge rave.

BBC NEWS: Kenya offer condolences to Japan.

Trust the Africans to get friendly when water is involved.

Q - How can you tell a Japanese prostitute from other ones?
A - She's the one in fishnets.

Q - Have you seen the latest Japanese versions of famous TV shows?
A - I think they overdid themselves when making their version of 'Total Wipeout'.