PDA

View Full Version : what a joke

novait
10-03-11, 01:00 PM
hello all

got stopped last night by the police for no reason at all..they said spot check more like had nothing better to do..
all was going ok till enough car turns up orange ST focus to my suprice more police but to make matter worse a proihibiton officer. they looked round the car the next minuite ( can you take the tint of you front windows!) why i asked? there to dark and shudnt be on there he said this is half 8 last nite, i replyed dont you have to measure the darkness of them befor i do that? he said no!!!

so he told me i had to drive home with the windows down and need a new mot or get and officer out to take away the proihibtion

now if i get enough mot it dosnt matter about the tinted windows as there not part of an mot it just dont make sence to me..

to make me more peed off on my way back home some one over took me in there audi as i was sticking to the speed limit..

why are they never around when people are in the wrong...

not happy :(
rant over

moffat
10-03-11, 01:13 PM
they should of measured it, i would complain fella

mowgli
10-03-11, 01:14 PM
well, do you have a receipt for the tint?? is it the right grade for front windows?? if yes, then take the documents to the police station & ask to speak to someone who can remove the notice...

if the rozzers didn't use the light meter to test the tint, then you have grounds for getting it chucked out, as long as the tint is of a suitable grade.

phazer
10-03-11, 01:29 PM
All tinting of the forward windows has been 'illegal' for a few years now regardless of tint level. That's why they don't need to measure it.

Southie
10-03-11, 01:33 PM
Car Window Tinting Legal Requirements in the UK
Vehicle & Operator Services Agency (VOSA) Statement

The UK Road Vehicles (Construction & Use) Regulations 1986 Act details the legality of window tinting in the UK - and as amended specifies the minimum levels of light that must pass through the windscreen and front side windows.
For a legal window tint in the UK the specifications are:
a) Motor Vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1985
b) The light transmitted through the windscreen must be at least 75%.
c) The front side windows (to either side of the drivers’ head) must allow at least 70% of light to be transmitted through them.
If the glass is tinted to a point whereby it lets through less light, the vehicle is breaking UK Window tinting law.

The consequences of illegally tinted windows!
If you are driving with less than legally required light transmitting through the windscreen and front side windows, the following could happen ;
a) You could be stopped and fined - you are effectively handing the police a 'reason' to stop your vehicle - the car could be impounded if it is considered dangerous to drive and/or could be given a prohobition order until removed!

b) You will be required to remove the film (which will cost) and present your car to the Police confirming it has been returned to a legal status.

c) If you have an accident and it can be proven that the reduced vision caused by the illegal film was a contributing factor, you are likely to get part or full blame - even if it was not under normal circumstances your fault!

d) Even worse - your insurer - if they stand to be in a position where they are looking at full acceptance of liability (as you were at fault) - may determine that your insurance is invalidated! and you will be looking at footing the costs on your own for your own vehicle and any other damage to third party vehicles or property.

In summary, it might look great - and you may get away with it - in the same way that there are plenty of motorists with illegal exhausts or number plates - but is it worth the risk? It would be difficult for an insurer to maintain that a 'dodgy' number plate contributed to an accident - but how easy would it be to claim that the reason you did not see the motorbike is because you had illegally tinted the window ?

Still not convinced ? Think we are making this up to scaremonger you ? Take a look at the examples of customers whose windows fell short of the law.... http://www.carkeys.co.uk/features/everything_else/2277.asp (http://www.carkeys.co.uk/features/everything_else/2277.asp)

;)

TeddyThom
10-03-11, 01:55 PM
Basically they have to test it before declaring it legal or not. If they didn't test it, then go down the cop shop and argue the point and tell them bollocks :)

mowgli
10-03-11, 01:57 PM
Basically they have to test it before declaring it legal or not. If they didn't test it, then go down the cop shop and argue the point and tell them bollocks :)

only as long as it is legal as in 70% or lighter....

people get caught out cos they already have tinted glass..

phazer
10-03-11, 02:05 PM
Vehicle & Operator Services Agency (VOSA) Statement

The UK Road Vehicles (Construction & Use) Regulations 1986 Act details the legality of window tinting in the UK - and as amended specifies the minimum levels of light that must pass through the windscreen and front side windows.
For a legal window tint in the UK the specifications are:
a) Motor Vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1985
b) The light transmitted through the windscreen must be at least 75%.
c) The front side windows (to either side of the drivers’ head) must allow at least 70% of light to be transmitted through them.

;)

That doesn't give a definative answer - look at part C. The front side windows must transmit 70% of light. Almost every car for the last decade at least has some tint applied to the front windows. A lot are already tinted 30%, some a little less.

What that means is that applying any film to the front windows will take you over the % level. Look at my current daily driver. The front windows don't look very dark do they?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v386/phazer_mig/IMG_9552-1.jpg

They are tinted 27% though so only 3% remains, that's why the copper didn't need to test - even seemingly low tint windows are close to the legal limit.

novait
10-03-11, 02:07 PM
cheers guys
i will have to get it tested i got the windows tinted years ago (6-7 years ago) lol

wwmnw
10-03-11, 02:08 PM
Cops right, you're wrong.

Jack
10-03-11, 02:50 PM
Judging the tint level by eye is like him sniffing the exhaust and saying your emissions are illegal lol

Doesn't matter if the tint was out or not, unless it was stupidly dark he should have measured it - IIRC the law (as opposed to noddy handouts from VOSA lol) actually says something like if a copper doesn't have the equipment to hand to actually test the tint, he can only refer it for a test and not order the tint to be removed. I may have mis-remembered that, but I'll check it when I get home. Anyways, As it was at night, his judgement could have been impaired by the darkness of the environment too.

As phazer said though, even plain glass does inhibit some light, so a 30% tint on a window won't necessarily mean a 70% light transmission.

Connor
10-03-11, 02:51 PM
tbf, he could of gave you points for them, and was being reasonable letting you drive it home with the windows down
my mate lost his license because of front tints, what a cr4p way to lose your license imo

Rich
10-03-11, 08:33 PM
your right, they definatly didnt have anything better to do

Bubba
10-03-11, 10:17 PM
i was told to take mine out when i got home....4 months later still hadnt and the same bloke pulled me over again and out they came...

personally id just tell them to jog on