PDA

View Full Version : iPhone peeps!

brownbear
09-03-11, 10:15 PM
All above 3G all have a large update! :thumb:

I'm a link *click me* (http://www.apple.com/uk/ios/)

Plug
09-03-11, 10:17 PM
wouldnt update it anyway lol jailbreak ftw

Pistol Pete
09-03-11, 10:18 PM
Sweet. Cheers for the heads up.

brainsnova
09-03-11, 10:19 PM
Jailbreak ftw I'm playing Mario lol

michael squeak
09-03-11, 10:20 PM
mine says im up to date :S

Southie
09-03-11, 10:21 PM
When? There wasn't an update at 3pm today.

michael squeak
09-03-11, 10:28 PM
its only avaliable for the 3gs and 4

Marc
09-03-11, 10:32 PM
Updating now :thumb:

Southie
09-03-11, 10:38 PM
Tbh most of the updates will be for the iPhone 4, I'll get the new iPhone 5 later on in the year so will miss out on using the 4 lol

kiwinova
09-03-11, 10:45 PM
Iphone 5:confused: when that out:confused:

brainsnova
09-03-11, 10:48 PM
I prefer the 3g s

Southie
09-03-11, 11:08 PM
Iphone 5:confused: when that out:confused:
Supposedly June/July also the same time the ipad2 comes out ;)

Brains I've the 3GS and tbh does everything I need, I dont need another camera and certainly don't want the feature of looking at someone whilst they might be on the shiiter lol

kiwinova
09-03-11, 11:17 PM
SUPPOSEDLY June/July also the same time the ipad2 comes out ;)

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

Edd
09-03-11, 11:19 PM
Nice one for the link

However I think Apple need to make the iPhone 5 something special as others companies phones are starting to look a better option, Nokia N8 looks very good as does one of the Sony Ericsson

The 4 is not that much different to the 3GS

Southie
09-03-11, 11:22 PM
lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol
Exactly lol My contracts due for renewal in October so I might be lucky lol

kiwinova
09-03-11, 11:26 PM
I will stick to next year lol

Southie
09-03-11, 11:27 PM
Edd, the missus had a 4 and sent it back because the battery faded too quickly, she also got the 3GS cheaper so all was good for my bank account lol

I'm stuck now with apple products and basically one of Steve Jobs geek gimps, from day to day I'm constantly using at least 2 apple products from either my phone, iMac at work or my G5 tower at home, a shame a Nova don't run like a apple product though because they never break down lol

Edd
09-03-11, 11:32 PM
Battery is fooking shocking on iPhone 4 loads worse than my old 3GS and the 2G

I mean having to charge it up 2/3 times during a 12 hour shift ain't on lol

Southie
09-03-11, 11:35 PM
Exactly Edd you need your phone when read...........

Oh he's gone... Edd, Edd are you there.... Helloooooo....

novalew
10-03-11, 06:53 AM
Think android is just as good and better choice

bmw156
10-03-11, 07:13 AM
i just got an iphone 4

the only useful part of that update seems to be the safari performance.

and i think it is much much better then the other iphones, its so quick. battery performance hasnt hindered me yet. and if it does then you can upgrade batteries easily.

Jack
10-03-11, 07:45 AM
I'm certain I remember old Mr Jobs touting how the original intention of the jesus phone was to retain the hardware and simply update the software regularly to receive new updates, so you don't need to keep buying new phones. So the iphone 5 is what, the 5th hardware refresh now? lol oops

I'm stuck now with apple products and basically one of Steve Jobs geek gimps, from day to day I'm constantly using at least 2 apple products from either my phone, iMac at work or my G5 tower at home, a shame a Nova don't run like a apple product though because they never break down lol
This would be my idea of hell lol

brownbear
10-03-11, 09:19 AM
i just got an iphone 4

and i think it is much much better then the other iphones, its so quick. battery performance hasnt hindered me yet. and if it does then you can upgrade batteries easily.

Totally agree!! My iPhone 4 is faultless. Also love the way it (and it's predecessors) work with my other apple products and even non apple products.

Still freaks me out the level of integration that is possible from my phone.

Find me another phone that works instantaneously with minimal setting up that can.

stream music wirelessly from the phone to my stereo.
print documents wirelessly from my phone.
control my music library on my laptop from my phone.
set my sky+ to record.
live update my email and alert me to new ones across as many email addresses as I want.
video call for free wirelessly.
send video to my TV from my phone.
and god knows how many other things I use my phone for!

To make this work you'd need to spend.

£101 on an apple TV
£83 on a airport express
£free download some apps.

No other phone on the market can offer that level of integration for such a minimal outlay. iPhones are "just a phone" until you expand the uses beyond "just a phone" and see why they are such an amazing tool to own.

Vauxhall_Redtop
10-03-11, 09:37 AM
i just got an iphone 4

can tottaly agree with that,although how can you upgrade battery in it.when i first got my i left it on charge for 4 hours :( couldnt wait any longer haha

bmw156
10-03-11, 10:35 AM
Totally agree!! My iPhone 4 is faultless. Also love the way it (and it's predecessors) work with my other apple products and even non apple products.

Find me another phone that works instantaneously with minimal setting up that can.

set my sky+ to record.
live update my email and alert me to new ones across as many email addresses as I want.

£101 on an apple TV
£83 on a airport express

No other phone on the market can offer that level of integration for such a minimal outlay. iPhones are "just a phone" until you expand the uses beyond "just a phone" and see why they are such an amazing tool to own.

that actually makes an iphone sound really good lol.
some other things i can think of.
automatically scan items and then it puts them into your tesco basket and orders them for you so you dont run out.
google translate will not only translate, show you how its written in the other language and will say it in the other language.
see whats on tv.
whats on at the cinema,
photobucket
paypal
ebay.

i reckon you could live of an iphone. someone can come on here saying they can do all the above on a PC, or in their own home. but being able to do it all in the palm of your hand is amazing.

and as for the battery, the back slides off (4g) (with the two screws removed, and im sure the battery pops out, other iphones are alot more difficult.)

Jack
10-03-11, 12:57 PM
Find me another phone that works instantaneously with minimal setting up that can...
http://www.mobilegazette.com/handsets/htc/htc-desire-z/htc-desire-z-2.jpg

Ok no idea on the Sky+ thing but thats only because I don't have Sky+ so haven't looked into it lol

BTW how do you get on with the physical keyboard on the iPh- wait, what? Oh. Shame. :p

Southie
10-03-11, 12:59 PM
Whats useful about the actual keyboard though? Eventually the buttons will stick and wear out :p

bmw156
10-03-11, 01:03 PM
http://www.mobilegazette.com/handsets/htc/htc-desire-z/htc-desire-z-2.jpg

Ok no idea on the Sky+ thing but thats only because I don't have Sky+ so haven't looked into it lol

BTW how do you get on with the physical keyboard on the iPh- wait, what? Oh. Shame. :p

why have a phone which increases in its size by 50% when you want to text someone.

i never have a problem with the iphone keyboard and my fingers are chunky lol.

Jack
10-03-11, 01:04 PM
I find it a damned sight easier to use the keypad if I'm writing anything longer than a text message. Plus its tactile so you can use it without looking at it easier than the onscreen keypad.

Keys still feel as good as new after a good few months of hammering :)

TeddyThom
10-03-11, 01:20 PM
I find it a damned sight easier to use the keypad if I'm writing anything longer than a text message. Plus its tactile so you can use it without looking at it easier than the onscreen keypad.

Keys still feel as good as new after a good few months of hammering :)

Lets hope the missus falls into that category as well lmao

Stuart
10-03-11, 01:20 PM
Andriod is all well and good, but with a billion different versions of it, some apps wont work and some will feel different etc..... I'd love to try an Android phone, but my hatred of HTC leaves little choice of worth lol.

I'm now torn between the Ipone4 (or 5 if its out in Sept/Oct) or the BB Torch (or Storm 3 if thats out then). Asmuch as the BB isnt 'fun' I do like the way it works.

phazer
10-03-11, 01:40 PM
Hear you on the HTC front, I've got an old WinMob 6 device for work, it's a hateful thing. The android phones are much better by the looks of it.

The next gen android phones are coming with dual core processors so should feel a bit quicker. I'm still undecided, my contract is up this year so smart phone it is but which?????

Oh and there's a glimpse already but how long before the thread dives into Fanboi'ism lol

bmw156
10-03-11, 02:09 PM
my friend has just got an HTC (the one which is available in HD, he has the non HD version), brand new and he says the battery is shocking.
so i wouldnt go for HTC either lol.

sr jack
10-03-11, 02:10 PM
i had a android phone (htc) and i had nothing but crap with it.

slow software
crap apps
half of them didnt work
sometimes it wouldnt recieve any calls or messages

so it ended up coming face to face with a sledge( god that felt good lol)

have a iphone 4 now.

all i can say is nothing touches this one bit

also i have the iplayer app which works perfect for when i miss topgear
and a freeview app so i can watch dave if im that bord.

Jack
10-03-11, 02:37 PM
my friend has just got an HTC (the one which is available in HD, he has the non HD version), brand new and he says the battery is shocking.
so i wouldnt go for HTC either lol.
Orly? My battery is fine. I get a couple days use out of each charge with moderate usage, but then I have configured it to use power fairly efficiently. Depends what you use it for I guess, no smartphone will have a great battery life due to the power they all suck in!

phazer
10-03-11, 02:40 PM
The 2.2 Update did a lot for battery so I hear and 2.3 (Gingerbread) is set to make it even better.

Leaving wi-fi enabled on any phone will suck the battery in hours if not minutes.

brownbear
10-03-11, 03:32 PM
The 2.2 Update did a lot for battery so I hear and 2.3 (Gingerbread) is set to make it even better.

Leaving wi-fi enabled on any phone will suck the battery in hours if not minutes.

Unless it's an iPhone 4 and only utilises the wireless if you access an application or function that requires an internet signal.

phazer
10-03-11, 04:15 PM
Only it doesn't, it searches for the nearest wifi that doesn't require security and connects irrespective if you leave wifi on. I'm surrounded by the things at work, so despite not having one I have a really good idea what they are like day to day :)

Ben
10-03-11, 04:32 PM
I keep thinking about getting one but i cant justify the cost for a phone, i usually get through 2-3 a year due to work etc, i currently am loving my Samsung dual sim phone, 2 phones in 1 and masssive pocket saving potential.

brownbear
10-03-11, 05:13 PM
Only it doesn't, it searches for the nearest wifi that doesn't require security and connects irrespective if you leave wifi on. I'm surrounded by the things at work, so despite not having one I have a really good idea what they are like day to day :)

Random, Mine will remain dormant till I utilise something that needs internets.
even now...

dormant....

unlock, enter passcode

3G

safari

boom wi-fi symbol top left. :thumb:

phazer
10-03-11, 06:02 PM
I guess you don't have any unsecured networks near you right now?

There are a few near work and if one of the guys leaves wifi enabled his phone will select one of the networks and connect and stay connectec - pain in the backside when he wants to swap it to our wifi lol

bmw156
10-03-11, 06:03 PM
Orly? My battery is fine. I get a couple days use out of each charge with moderate usage, but then I have configured it to use power fairly efficiently. Depends what you use it for I guess, no smartphone will have a great battery life due to the power they all suck in!
he said it nearly killed it when he was using it for GPS, so finding the place is fine, finding your way home isnt lol.

also, for the wifi connection, if it finds one, you can just select it, tell it to forget it, and then select the one you want.

and my iphone was at about 40% battery, put it on charge for about an hour and its full. i like.

brainsnova
10-03-11, 06:20 PM
I'm using a green poison full theme and that eats my battery lol was fully charged an hour ago and now 87%

Ben
10-03-11, 06:36 PM
finding your way home isnt lol.

flol at someone needing gps to find there way home, there is no hope for the future of england!

bmw156
10-03-11, 07:03 PM
flol at someone needing gps to find there way home, there is no hope for the future of england!

lol, he was looking for a place, so used to it find his way there. some random building in london!

conad
10-03-11, 07:48 PM

set my sky+ to record.

£101 on an apple TV
£83 on a airport express

my 2 year old htc hero does all this
:roll:

Stuart
10-03-11, 09:17 PM
wifi left on all the time on my BB, it dosent kill the battery as it will only connect when you tell it to, even if there are freebies about.

conad
10-03-11, 09:20 PM
wifi left on all the time on my BB, it dosent kill the battery as it will only connect when you tell it to, even if there are freebies about.
but its still searching for a connection which uses loads of power

John
10-03-11, 09:22 PM
I-phone 4 batterys will last longer if you turn apps "off" too. Mine will do 2days with heavy use.

Adam
10-03-11, 09:28 PM
Android FTW here.
The battery on my galaxy S was shocking when i first got it (batt % would go down by over half over night..... lol)
Better once it had a few charges through it, and then i got the task killer app so i can actually end tasks, also got the app to turn wifi/3g on and off, this helps with the batt on it big time.

Lasts 2-3days before it needs charging now and it gets a fair bit of use per day.

Im still trying decide whether or not update the OS to 2.2 as its still on the old 2.1 eclair.

Edd
10-03-11, 09:36 PM
I-phone 4 batterys will last longer if you turn apps "off" too. Mine will do 2days with heavy use.
How do you do that ? lol

Stuart
10-03-11, 09:40 PM
but its still searching for a connection which uses loads of power

no life difference between wifi 'on' or 'off'
infact it lasts longer as its not hammering 3g :)

Southie
10-03-11, 09:58 PM
How do you do that ? lol
Double press the round black button and it will show you the apps that are running, then press down for a couple of seconds one one of the apps shown and they will then show a delete symbol and wobble about ;)

Also turn push notifications off on some of your apps, oh and turn the brightness down a little this also will save battery.

Edd
10-03-11, 10:14 PM
Fook me I had every app I've got down there lol

Sorted now, cheers

bmw156
10-03-11, 11:00 PM
Fook me I had every app I've got down there lol

Sorted now, cheers

i dont think they are running app's just the history of the last used app's

i had real racing HD or what ever it is, and if that was running then my battery would drain.

Jack
10-03-11, 11:39 PM
Is there no task killer app for iPhone?

Southie
11-03-11, 07:25 AM
i dont think they are running app's just the history of the last used app's

i had real racing HD or what ever it is, and if that was running then my battery would drain.
That's what I thought when I first bought mine but, well have a read of this.... http://hubpages.com/hub/How-stop-background-apps-on-an-iPhone-iPad-or-iPod-Touch-running-iOS