PDA

View Full Version : clifford = sh*t

frog_southampton
16-06-03, 12:42 PM
got clifford alarm immobiliser

drivin down motorway (M3) was in 4th lane (fastest) and car just cut out, tried bumpin it start but didnt work

tried turnin key and no red ignition lights

rolled over 2 hard shouler nearly smashin into 100's of cars on way coz no indicators just hazards...

phoned AA waited 2.5 hours and was the clifford kickin in!

now the AA man has got solder all over my vauxhall mats and pulled the alarm/imobilizer out back 2 standard gotta pay 2 have a new alarm!

b*ll*x anyone know how 2 fix in soton?

Ben (lurk75)
16-06-03, 02:19 PM
That is common with them, i know of exactly the same thing happening to two others before.

Over rated, over priced.

Dicko
16-06-03, 02:19 PM
was it fited new from a shop

all mine imobilisers/alarms have come with callout insurance (they usualy do if cat2/cat1)

if it screws up and you cant fix it they haveto come out and sort it for you!!

Dave
16-06-03, 02:27 PM
was warned off clifford an told to go for a toad they are much better an more reliable

Will F
16-06-03, 02:37 PM
My Dad sells and fits alarms.
He used to stock Clifford.

He doesnt anymore!

Need I say more??!!

They act like old people. They HATE temperature changes!!

Stuart
16-06-03, 04:21 PM
ive only had one problem with my clifford, and that wasnt really the alarms fault. the earth strap for the controller broke at the battery. which was a 20p repair job.

temperature changes arent a prob, getting it wet dosent phase it etc. prehaps ive got a special one lol

Fester
16-06-03, 05:56 PM
a 'special' alarm yes thats right lol just like there is 'special' people maybe

hotdogs_r_us
16-06-03, 06:36 PM
Sorry to bump in.

So what sould i go for ? TOAD OR CILLFORD?

I heard that u can brake in to TOAD Alarms? and there only cat 2 ? i Need cat 1 ?

Any help cheers

Ben (lurk75)
16-06-03, 06:44 PM
Both toad and clifford do cat 1 and cat 2 alarms as do many other decent companies.

the toad cat 1's are better value for money than the cliffords, and i have never heard of them being got round basically as can the cliffords can be.

Price up things like a scorpion or code alarm, as these are less common less time is devoted to getting round them.

tonydry
16-06-03, 06:44 PM
toad do cat 1 to dont no what there like ive got a clifford concept 600 and it works fine for me

hotdogs_r_us
16-06-03, 06:46 PM
So what Toad alarm should i go for then?
I got ?325 to spend any recomendations?

Cheers :wink:

Rick Draper
17-06-03, 11:30 AM
A clifford is only as good as the installer and quite clearly most of you have been conned by the people that fitted yours. My concept 600 has only gone wrong once and that was cause i got water in the siren. If the fitter you use is shit the alarm will be shit. Rick

Jules
17-06-03, 11:37 AM
I've got a Cat1 Toad and had no problems with it, I ordered it from Toad direct and they sent out someone from Sextons to fit it (at your home, work, wherever), the engineer did a top job and it didn't take him too long to do it.

N.B If you have an alarm fitted to the car and you'd like to keep it to sell to a mate or whatever, make sure you mention this to the installer, I didn't and never saw the old Laserline alarm (that was on the GSi when I bought it) again - I had planned to sell it to a m8. Oh well.
:roll:

Lee H
17-06-03, 12:13 PM
I've also got a Clifford Concept 600 and again have only had a problem with breaking the bonnet switch as the bonnet on my car is always being opened and closed. Its been in 18 months now.

Toad are cheap but use ultrasonics................. very old technology IMO.

Dicko
17-06-03, 03:25 PM
for ?320 i got a toad Ai606 and 2 extra sensors of my choise at the time. look in the back of car mag for special deals

mmollart
17-06-03, 03:42 PM
ive just bought a clifford rs2 alarm, anyone know how much they are to get fitted by an approved installer?

Dicko
17-06-03, 03:45 PM
most places will only supply+fit as they need to register the codes that come with the alarm to get the certificate

Ste_Nova
17-06-03, 03:45 PM
i'm fitting a clifford avantguard 4 myself... installers work on a time basis and rush

Clifford Avantguard 4
This is the flagship of Clifford's range of car alarm systems. Comes with all the features of the Concept 600 as well as built in intellistart 4 remote controlled engine starting system and nightvision 4 automatic headlight activation. Please note that unlike the concept 600, this system is not Thatcham approved.
FREE ILLUMINATED CLIFFORD WINDSCREEN SIGN.

Price: ?723.40 ?850.00 Including VAT at 17.5%

nice ;)
http://www.caralarmuk.com/acatalog/rs3.gif

Ben (lurk75)
17-06-03, 04:37 PM
Its not worth it.

what is the point of having a car alarm that does all that?

better off with a tracker for the money.

Immobilisers are what earn the money not the actual alarm as who listens to them anyway.

Ste_Nova
17-06-03, 04:46 PM
i have no handles or keys... no dash either... car will be started from fob

Ste_Nova
17-06-03, 04:49 PM
better off with a tracker for the money.

no need for tracker.... car is kept locked in garage... or i'm driving it.... any anyway how do you hot wire a car with no wires :roll:

Ben (lurk75)
17-06-03, 04:50 PM
You could get a ?200 Cat 1 toad C5T2 to do that, any alarm with an optional output has the capability.

Ste_Nova
17-06-03, 05:00 PM
what about the remote start???

and i need anti hijack

Ben (lurk75)
17-06-03, 05:09 PM
yes that alram has anti hi jack, and a source for the automatic start, just need to connect the box into it.

Whay have an alarm at all if its locked away or being driven?

your car is having no wires? that is a slight exaggeration i think.

Neil.
17-06-03, 07:08 PM
ive concept 500 and my bonnet pin goes all time aswell, had to get new one fitted 3 times now, again coz my bonnet is being opened fair few times.