PDA

View Full Version : Main stealer L3 Technician wages?

Nobby
08-03-11, 10:12 PM
Just wondered what peoples wages were abit nosey yes but :d anyway ive been working for Jaguar main dealer now for 8 months i started on 15k classed as just qualified L3. Ive had a pay rise today and am now on 17k :) what are other main dealers paying? As ive hard Audi pay very well and we share our workshop with Land Rover and the guys from there used to work for Reg Vardy and are on good money the Master tech is on 24k. Ive just gone 23 btw. :thumb:

hendrix
08-03-11, 10:17 PM
I'm gonna say not enough lol

blue_peg_16v
08-03-11, 10:34 PM
not enough but nice tax break lol

John
08-03-11, 10:36 PM
Don't want to say what i earn, but it's more than that. I am 10 years older than you though, so have a bit more time served experience under my belt. :)

hendrix
08-03-11, 10:39 PM
The company I used to be with I could have been on 40k+ benefits (health care, pension) + company car (Mondeo or equivalent) for the position I am in now
But I'm not and they went broke :roll: f

blue_peg_16v
08-03-11, 11:17 PM
wonder why they went broke employing lazy feckers like you lol

MattBrown
08-03-11, 11:21 PM
Some local spac tard recons when he is qualified with Volvo he will be on nearly 50k

Bear in mind he's done a half arsed apprentaship, and you wouldn't let him hold a spanner, let alone use one!

My mates a techy at fords main dealer £9.36 an hour.

MK1_Ben
08-03-11, 11:27 PM
When I was working building Rally Cars for a private company it was £10 an hour (on prep, increased to £20 on stage service).

Now I'm 19 almost 20 and have recently been promoted to Head IT technician at my current workplace and I'm on significantly more, moving from mechanics to IT has been the best thing I've done :)

faker
09-03-11, 12:09 AM
Good god things have changed. I began as a fitter 23 years ago, at £80 a week. 9 years later when I was 25 I was on £140 a week. thats £7280 per annum before deductions..... although things have changed! gone are the days of adjusting points and twisting distributors.

Stoo
09-03-11, 12:27 AM
£30k here

pikey1986
09-03-11, 11:29 AM
im on a lot less than 9k a year :cry:

agencies are robbing ba5tards

autoworksnovasport
09-03-11, 11:34 AM
depends how much i want to go to works really and who wants cars building couldntt give a wage but ATS pay 15k for fitting tyres (truck)

davidfox280585
09-03-11, 11:42 AM
i was earning £970 a month after tax at a fast fit branch till i swapped over to traffic management high speed and now take home £2300 after tax a month id never go back to spanners

mowgli
09-03-11, 11:44 AM
/\ all from sticking cones on the m18???? there must be a long queue when your firm advertises...

about 10 years ago, i was earning £15k driving wagons & was getting pi55ed off with the hours, so i answered an ad as assistant parts manager at a local main dealership...i was doing fantastic at the interview, got offered the job.. with my previous experience etc.... then they offered me £11k. i stood up & said sorry for us wasting each others time, and walked out....

a main dealer garage charges minimum £75/hr yet pays about £8/hr, then the parts dept, which is well known as the part of the dealership that, with good staff, can really make some serious profit (i worked in parts for a long time & know what markup is involved) was prepared to pay me just over minimum wage & expect me to make them a few grand a week profit...... can't you tell that the main dealer trade is run by salesmen....... the managers are always promoted salesmen, they have no idea about anything except numbers of cars out the gate & paying the sales staff huge bonuses, when the new car sales is not that profitable

autoworksnovasport
09-03-11, 11:53 AM
i was earning £970 a month after tax at a fast fit branch till i swapped over to traffic management high speed and now take home £2300 after tax a month id never go back to spanners

i do road resurfaceing for 6 months of the year which pays me 12mnths money in 6 months then build cars through the winter

i hink yoours would be classed as "danger money" with it being motorway

mowgli
09-03-11, 12:02 PM
of course its dangerous..... some sod keeps putting road cones on the carriagewaylol

autoworksnovasport
09-03-11, 12:03 PM
:dlol:d

Stuart
09-03-11, 12:19 PM
Dont get paid enough for what I do, but then again I do love my job and it pays the bills, so meh... Plus there arent many jobs that can make you totally blazzzzeee (spelling) about Million quid cars lol

autoworksnovasport
09-03-11, 12:23 PM
what do you do stu??

edit: i found it

ECU Software Designer

mowgli
09-03-11, 12:23 PM
blasé....

the thing with your job stu, is that there will always be some banker or stock broker who is so ludicrously wealthy that they want the most amazing car, even though they probably never go above 70 in it ever, but they must have the most toys, bells & whistles on it......and would have way more fun driving a 911, if it was about the driving......

Stuart
09-03-11, 12:41 PM
The one-77 is a very capable car though... its actually very 'rough' for a 7 figure cost 'hyper car'. What I mean is its more of a sports car than a GT.

Not had a go in a Huayra yet :( hope to get another trip to Italy soon to get a go lol.

See, its all silly and reason why I can cope with not being paid quite as well as wanted. Conversely I was paid more to do a much more boring job and I wanted out within the first 3 days lol

turbojolt
09-03-11, 12:54 PM
Im on 14.5k right now but my training is nearly finished so will be on 20k+bonuses with a work van, mobile, computer and all my tool provided

should be enought seems as im moving out of london so i can acculy afford to rent a house on that lol

Ben
09-03-11, 01:07 PM
my local garage pays £18-22 per hour for qualidied mechanics

Andy
09-03-11, 02:53 PM
about 10 years ago, i was earning £15k driving wagons & was getting pi55ed off with the hours, so i answered an ad as assistant parts manager at a local main dealership...i was doing fantastic at the interview, got offered the job.. with my previous experience etc.... then they offered me £11k. i stood up & said sorry for us wasting each others time, and walked out....

i did exactly the same,answered an ad that wanted parts advisor/deliverer/sales/calls taker etc.
went to the interview where they were banging on about this "NEW COMPANY" they had set up and how good it was.
They were then really impressed with my knowledge of parts/cars/common known faults bla bla bla.
Anyway,things were going really well for me and they basically offered me the job there and then,THEN told me the hours and pay-£5.73per hour.
I shook his hand and gave the "thanks,but no thanks"
They stopped me and asked why i wouldnt do it??!!!
HA:tard: :tard: :tard:
Glad im self employed now-i'll never look back

autoworksnovasport
09-03-11, 02:54 PM
youl never make any money working for somone else

mowgli
09-03-11, 02:57 PM
youl never make any money working for somone else wrong.... we all work for somebody else... be if self or fully employed.... i'm old fashioned though & believe that if you do all of the work asked of you & more, then you will get suitable rewards...

Andy
09-03-11, 02:58 PM
That should be "you'll never make any DECENT money working for someone else"

Andy
09-03-11, 02:59 PM
wrong.... we all work for somebody else... be if self or fully employed.... i'm old fashioned though & believe that if you do all of the work asked of you & more, then you will get suitable rewards...
Been there and tried/done that.
Employers nowadays have zero respect for employees as they know theres probably 50people who would start tomorrow....
Every single job ive had (10+btw) ive been took for and being spoken to like a cunnt,and ive done miles more than i should for most.
Im a grafter,always have been and the dikkheads who fukk around and turned up kayleyed got further than me??!!!

autoworksnovasport
09-03-11, 03:00 PM
wrong.... we all work for somebody else... be if self or fully employed.... i'm old fashioned though & believe that if you do all of the work asked of you & more, then you will get suitable rewards...

point taken although i used to work for 2 different fast fit companys and make them ALOT of money 3-4k a day and they would pay me 22k a year if i was working for myself with those customers i would do what they do and employ a joey to do all the work for me

mowgli
09-03-11, 03:03 PM
get a van or a unit & get into the business...... fast fits have a lot of advertising spend, premises cost the earth, stockholdings don't come cheap... then there is the insurance, bad payers and a thousand other things that will go wrong..... sometimes stepping back a few feet is the best way in the long run.

mowgli
09-03-11, 03:08 PM
Been there and tried/done that.
Employers nowadays have zero respect for employees as they know theres probably 50people who would start tomorrow....
Every single job ive had (10+btw) ive been took for and being spoken to like a cunnt,and ive done miles more than i should for most.
Im a grafter,always have been and the dikkheads who fukk around and turned up kayleyed got further than me??!!!

maybe in your area Andy.... .when we look for staff, we struggle to find decent people.......

i'm with you on the others getting promoted bit, thats why i left UNIPART's head office in oxford... i had an appalling habit of sorting the customer out, even if it ruffled a few feathers in the process.....i wasn't frightened to ring suppliers up to sort the backorders out....but the inventory dept didn't like me doing it.. i kept getting bumped..... so when my brother rang up, i moved 80 miles & started afresh.....that was 1995.. i still work for him, but my job has altered somewhat, but its a good living at £25k+

autoworksnovasport
09-03-11, 03:09 PM
i do work for myself now with a van and premises and am doing better than i was working for them (not making 3k a day yet haha) but youve gotttta start somwere

Angus Closier
09-03-11, 03:12 PM
The problem now is Most employers could have another person in your position the next day, no more benefits for extra hours/out of hours etc. I'm going self employed now and have far more things on my back than before, but I hopfully will never ever have to work for another person again (see that as a company, I understand im still working for people bla bla)
For me its self satisfaction ahh and the money aswell!

Jack
09-03-11, 03:54 PM
Some local spac tard recons when he is qualified with Volvo he will be on nearly 50k
On that wage, qualified to do what... sh!t gold? lol

Don't get into IT, whatever you do. Sod all money in that :d

Adam
09-03-11, 04:12 PM
25k+ for most qualified mechanics so ive been told.

Im so in the wrong job if thats true.

Ben
09-03-11, 04:23 PM
That should be "you'll never make any DECENT money working for someone else"

My friend has just turned down a job earning £150k+ for someone so that statment isnt quite true lol

autoworksnovasport
09-03-11, 04:28 PM
My friend has just turned down a job earning £150k+ for someone so that statment isnt quite true lol

but if he is offerd that much to work for them how much is he making them in return

Ben
09-03-11, 04:31 PM
He works in business not charity! business's are there to earn profit, i am happy with what i get paid and thats all that matters, if you start to begrudge people earning money you will end up very bitter.

Tesco's sale something for a £1 does not mean the person who placed it on the shelf deserves 50p of it.

My company charge over £100 an hour for me, i wouldnt mind earning that but they have the contacts, captila for tools, liscences for the work we do etc so add all that up and im quite happy with what i get.

autoworksnovasport
09-03-11, 04:38 PM
no youve got me wrong what im saying is if "we" can do a job why not spend a bit of time making the contacts doing the research on the buisness background ect and go for it youself

phazer
09-03-11, 04:40 PM
On that wage, qualified to do what... sh!t gold? lol

Don't get into IT, whatever you do. Sod all money in that :d

You're in the wrong IT job ;)

Andy
09-03-11, 04:55 PM
but if he is offerd that much to work for them how much is he making them in return
Thats the wrong attitude to have entirely.
Thats like someone saying "Well morisons last year earned £XXX,XXX,XXX How come i only get £6.xx an hour??,i served their customers to earn that!!"
If you work for a company who earn millions every year and profits keep rising but wages stay the same then that takes the piss,ive been in a situation like that before,was working alongside a bloke window fitting,sub contracting,i did 3 hours extra which was £10 an hour
"Im not paying you that as we finished at 2.30 on Friday.
He cleared £1200 after tax that week..........

Ben
09-03-11, 04:59 PM
no youve got me wrong what im saying is if "we" can do a job why not spend a bit of time making the contacts doing the research on the buisness background ect and go for it youself

There are some industries you can and some you cant, in my industry i would need at least 250k to setup a one man band and the whole industry is built on respect and trust and quality, a one man outfit just wont cut it or it would take years to build a reputation.

autoworksnovasport
09-03-11, 05:00 PM
Thats the wrong attitude to have entirely.
Thats like someone saying "Well morisons last year earned £XXX,XXX,XXX How come i only get £6.xx an hour??,i served their customers to earn that!!"
If you work for a company who earn millions every year and profits keep rising but wages stay the same then that takes the piss,ive been in a situation like that before,was working alongside a bloke window fitting,sub contracting,i did 3 hours extra which was £10 an hour
"Im not paying you that as we finished at 2.30 on Friday.
He cleared £1200 after tax that week..........

you obviously didnt read my next message

Andy
09-03-11, 05:03 PM
you obviously didnt read my next message
i didnt,you right lol
I see what you mean,just it sounded like how i wrote at 1st

autoworksnovasport
09-03-11, 05:09 PM
yeah i agree with ben some forms of buisiness would be hard to get into but people do it else there would be no competition not sure what buisness he is in but "somtimes" people like a one man band rather than a big company makes it feel a more personal transaction (not in that way either mr baxter)

Andy
09-03-11, 05:13 PM
yeah i agree with ben some forms of buisiness would be hard to get into but people do it else there would be no competition not sure what buisness he is in but "somtimes" people like a one man band rather than a big company makes it feel a more personal transaction (not in that way either mr baxter)
Thats true,most of my customers like that i work alone as theyve had van fulls of lads who work for someone turn up and dont give a fukk about quality or keeping the customer happy as they only care about getting in the pub asap

Jack
09-03-11, 05:24 PM
You're in the wrong IT job ;)
Tell me about it, despite popular opinion the majority of civil servants get a sh!t wage :(

Mind you, all I'm seeing round here for pen testers and infosec is <=£25k a year. Managerial stuff is a few more qud but thats boring. lol

mowgli
09-03-11, 05:28 PM
on our groundworks firm, we offer a 'give us the plans and come back when we've finished' sort of service.... because house builders & developers really don't have a clue about or need to care what goes on under the damp course, as long as it is done right....we liaise direct with planners, building control & architects/engineers... we have built up a reputation over 20 odd years for it. the customer doesn't need bothering with every minute detail that could stop the job, thats not what they pay for... we have had lads working for us that think, i'll start up my own business & they usually come a cropper on a job where they haven't properly looked at the plans, and then have literally run away from it, leaving people with half a job done, and then we've gone in & sorted it out with the minimum of fuss.... customer care is very important in all forms of business...

on our transport firm, we are more about trying to communicate with the end user to get the stuff there on or near the time... it is a lot more difficult to keep them happy... the other day, we had a hiab pipe go, and we were running late on a 200 mile trip, and the customer said, well, its not convenient if they come after 5pm, they'll have to pop in another day with the goods!!!!!!! that took some diplomacy

phazer
09-03-11, 05:53 PM
Tell me about it, despite popular opinion the majority of civil servants get a sh!t wage :(

Mind you, all I'm seeing round here for pen testers and infosec is <=£25k a year. Managerial stuff is a few more qud but thats boring. lol

Slightly flippant comment earlier, I do know where you're coming from. Doesn't affect me but since the hay days of late 90's early 00's IT support jobs have reduced in wage significantly. It did pay quite well but it's considered almost MacDonalds level by a lot of employers now.

Having said all of that, wages for software develpment varies wildly. Seems a lot of companies think proper web apps can be written by a 17 year old for 20k a year - all well and good but you'll throw the code away when it needs modifying.

I'm pleased I got started when I did as I'm long time served now with a large amount of experience in a myriad of different projects.

I think I've seen bits before so excuse the bad memory, what exactly do you do? Is it sysadmin?

Jack
09-03-11, 05:59 PM
Hardware support for the MOD naval helicopter maintenance database, I manage/config/build their servers, laptops etc. The role has been modified a little recently to include change management and security etc as well.

Contracted out to Boeing at the moment, so we'll see what happens with them

phazer
09-03-11, 06:20 PM
Ah yes change management and security, a necessary evil but the only way to win gov. contracts these days lol

Certainly going to be interesting/tough times for anyone in the gov/public sector over the coming years. IT job vacancies seem to be growing steadily, hopefully it means there is enough stability for companies to start investing again.

MK1_Ben
09-03-11, 06:44 PM
Having said all of that, wages for software develpment varies wildly. Seems a lot of companies think proper web apps can be written by a 17 year old for 20k a year - all well and good but you'll throw the code away when it needs modifying.

Not always true, I'm 19 and I'm the Head IT technician for a Distribution + Sales company (probably half those ****ty magazines and adverts you get selling stuff in Newspapers come through us in the early stages). Our Internal ordering + stock management system was coded by myself and isn't some shonky coded App that will crash if the source is modified :)

In this day and age in IT, age doesn't mean alot (think, you get introduced into IT when you're 4/5).

mowgli
09-03-11, 08:05 PM
Slightly flippant comment earlier, I do know where you're coming from. Doesn't affect me but since the hay days of late 90's early 00's IT support jobs have reduced in wage significantly. It did pay quite well but it's considered almost MacDonalds level by a lot of employers now.

I'm pleased I got started when I did as I'm long time served now with a large amount of experience in a myriad of different projects.

I think I've seen bits before so excuse the bad memory, what exactly do you do? Is it sysadmin?

remember the millenium bug.... all those university graduate boffins who put the original computers into service forgot about using more than 2 digits for the year & everyone thought the world was going to stop.....most computer programmers are lazy.. they re-use the same code on as much as they can get away with, then patch it when it cocks up.... very few are consciencious enough to do something that never needs work, but most don't cos they get repeat work...fixing their previous cockups & convincing the customer that they need some sort of upgrade

MK1_Ben
09-03-11, 09:31 PM
But it depends what they have coded.

In alot of Applications it makes alot more sense to re-use the majority of the previous code as the base for a new version. Everytime an application is updated it isn't entirely re-written as technically it would be a whole new application.

Say one of your modules in a php based page needs changing to add some new information to a database. You wouldn't re-write the whole page, most of the time you wouldn't even re-write the whole module, just change the module to insert the new data as it's the most efficient way.

** We're currently in the process of re-coding all our systems where I work into one fresh bit of coding, implementing all the patches into the base code to stop us having stray lines which have built up over the years of modifying/patching things. Doing this every year or so is a good way to go about running a "low maintenance" system.

phazer
09-03-11, 11:13 PM
Not always true, I'm 19 and I'm the Head IT technician for a Distribution + Sales company (probably half those ****ty magazines and adverts you get selling stuff in Newspapers come through us in the early stages). Our Internal ordering + stock management system was coded by myself and isn't some shonky coded App that will crash if the source is modified :)

In this day and age in IT, age doesn't mean alot (think, you get introduced into IT when you're 4/5).

Nah, you miss my point. A lot of companies wanting web developers will only pay bare minimum and don't care about experience or quality of the developer hence what I said, it's all about delivery to them. If you are a quality developer you will understand the difference between delivering a piece of software that works and a high quality piece of software that works. FWIW 80% of the overall cost of software comes from maintenance not the initial creation.

Sadly age does have a lot to do with it. You can be ace technically but the softer skills and analysis ability comes with maturity and age and to me actual coding is about 20% of the job - I don't hire or work with code monkeys the interaction with the client, the extraction of the requirements (which the client often doesn't have a full idea!) and the formulation into a good design are THE most important roles a developer can fulfill - anyone can throw code together.

Sadly I fear your age is the reason you misunderstood where I was coming from, you simply don't have enough real world experience yet. Taking exception as if I'd taken a pot shot at you personally kind of gives that away.
Don't get defensive or whatever, I'm not having a go, I've been in this industry a long time and have seen and done lots. I was coding at 12, I'm 33 today :thumb:

(probably best not to go off about software quality, I have a real thing for it :))

phazer
09-03-11, 11:16 PM
Doing this every year or so is a good way to go about running a "low maintenance" system.

Ergo, the code wasn't written in a maintenance friendly style in the first place so you'd be better just hacking in changes knowing you would throw it away in the not too distant future.

The need to visit your code base that often hints at bad style or lax change processes.

I know the real world isn't ideal but for the scenario you outlined getting pretentious about it and pretending that it's by design does no-one any favours.

Did I mention code quality is my thing? lol

davidfox280585
10-03-11, 12:14 AM
i do road resurfaceing for 6 months of the year which pays me 12mnths money in 6 months then build cars through the winter

i hink yoours would be classed as "danger money" with it being motorway
I enjoy it, thats a hot job resurfacing near the hot tarmac, ive watched you lads do it, we normally put the closures on, mowgli funnily enough i live next to the m18 but thats not the job im on, currently working the m56 junction 7 and the m6 junction 22 and the m42 and various temporary works round north west

Ben
10-03-11, 10:40 AM
Did I mention code quality is my thing? lol

Show us some work then? lol

phazer
10-03-11, 11:26 AM
Love to. NDA's prevent me from doing so though.

Ben
10-03-11, 11:57 AM
gathered as much lol

Stuart
10-03-11, 12:40 PM
Code Quality is a riot.... well not for the software monkeys lol.

ISO26262 FTW/L

mowgli
10-03-11, 01:01 PM
i have a load booking/invoicing program that put on this work pc by my predecessor.... everything on it is excellent & really quite quick, except when i try to print an invoice... it takes 5 minutes... to print one or a hundred invoices..it takes the same time.. every week, i sit for hours waiting for it to print invoices, the software company have absolutely no idea why..

Jeff16v
10-03-11, 02:14 PM
I'm NHS IT - main role Video Conference and telemedicine. but also network, servers, backups, mobile working. not enough wages tbh, own a flat in London with 2 kids and running three cars, so i'm broke:cry: