View Full Version : Putting an 'Off road' vehicle on road

LEWI007
08-03-11, 06:29 PM
I might be buying a 1989 Kawasaki KX125 its an offroad motorbike with no logbook,lights indicators or number plates etc..

How would i go about putting it on the road with tax and test etc.. ?

Or would it cost a bomb and not be worth it.

Just want to find out how its done.

Andy
08-03-11, 06:31 PM
Not worth it,my cousin did it years ago with a dtr,ended having well over a grand an half in a j reg bike.(2002 at the time)
He had a right carry on with sourcing parts and looms and then getting it re registered.
Turned out it was an unrecorded twoc'er

LEWI007
08-03-11, 07:33 PM
What is it that you pay for exactly ?

Ive got a private reg there i could use on the bike, if that would save any money, and i could just buy some lights etc..

I was wondering if anybody had thought the same about putting a bike on the road but just bought an old frame or something that had license plates etc.. and used the id on the offroad one, sort of like a ringer ? or just build it all up on the other frame, but i think with it being an old bike i prob wont find a road legal frame or id.

Andy
08-03-11, 07:39 PM
end of thread lol
You just answered all your own questions in that post

bmw156
08-03-11, 07:42 PM
its alot of hassle IMO.

i dont think you can put a private reg onto a bike with out it having an identity first.

you can do whats called a day light MOT. basically means you can get away with out any lights etc.

also, do you have any docs with the bike your looking to bike,

and with bikes they are an off roader for a reason lol.

p.s also tyres. wont be aloud knobblies on the road :)

mowgli
08-03-11, 07:44 PM
so i just need to ad......ibtl.... i can't believe you would put such stuff on a public forum Lewi... don't put every thought on the net.

Bubba
08-03-11, 07:57 PM
so i just need to ad......ibtl.... i can't believe you would put such stuff on a public forum Lewi... don't put every thought on the net.

aside from the rather silly "ID swap" idea...i think its a fair question.

what if you found a road bike...possibly with a blown engine or snapped frame...and used the lights, loom etc off of that?

Sturge

LEWI007
Im just thinking it up mowgli i havent even got the bike yet lol

Looks like the only way to make it road legal would be the illegal way then.

Im not saying im going to do it, ill prob only use it offroad on weekends, just wanted some info on the situation though.

I think itd prob cost that much and be that arkwerd id be better off buying one already on the road if i was going to use it on the road.

Might aswell wait and keep my eye out for a cheap/damaged road legal one though.

Hoochie
08-03-11, 07:59 PM
If i remember rightly this can be a bit of a ball ache, you will need to get a letter from the manufacturer stating the year of manufacture and the bikes details, engine/frame numbers etc.
Get a current mot and proof of insurance and take these along with your licence to your local tax office as they will probably want to inspect the bike.

For it's MOT, it will need, indicators, horn, mirrors, tail light, tyres etc.
Maybe even a muffler as i'm not sure what the regs are off road bike cans.

Pistol Pete
08-03-11, 08:06 PM
For what its going to cost, just buy a DT 125 lol

LEWI007
08-03-11, 08:11 PM
This is the bike: CLASSIC lol

Im wanting it as a project on the side to strip down and restore, never done a motorbike before.

Just the idea i had was why not put it on the road to use until i finish the nova and can insure it.

http://www.motodacross.com/kawasaki/kx125/1989.jpg

sport
08-03-11, 08:20 PM
I would imagine it would need a vic test or similar as a KX is an motocrosser.

Andy
08-03-11, 08:46 PM
Ask Matt Brown about how dear the parts are for them..........
I had an idea for an 80's Cr125 resto.
He soon put me off lol

Southie
08-03-11, 09:32 PM
Just buy a road worthy bike and stop messing about IMO.

Lewis.
08-03-11, 09:52 PM
you dont need lights if you dont want, as you can get a daytime MOT. bikes need sod all for a daytime MOT, apart from everything being as it should, all you will need extra for your KX is: road legal tyres, a rear reflector, a horn (a maplins 9 AA battery holder and a small bike horn will do, your never gonna use it other than for MOT so doesnt matter if it doesn't charge itself) and thats pretty much it.
you dont need indicators or mirrors on a bike, and you don't need a brake light for a daytime MOT. exhaust shouldn t be 'too loud' - its the testers discretion here

you dont need a speedo for MOT, but you do to comply with construction and use regs. (push bike speedo is sufficient)

after that, its just the same process as registering a brand new road bike.

you will need a letter stating proof of age from the manufacturer, then with that you can have it MOTed (vehicles dont need to be registered to be MOTed) then you ring DVLA, explain what you want and apply for a log book. you pay your fee (couple hundred quid) then get a V5C and a tax disc in the post (in some cases it may require an inspection.

so over all very do-able. will cost a couple hundred quid and is certainly worth it. for more advise, ring DVLA, and ask them directly, they will tell you all you need to know.

Oh, and don't ****ing ring it lol

Spudly
08-03-11, 09:55 PM
Errrr, yes you will need a brake light as every powered vehicle has to have one iirc, and dependant on the date of manufacture it should have to have mirrors and indicators too.

I thought they had done away with the old loophole of a 'daytime' MOT years ago?

Pistol Pete
08-03-11, 10:00 PM
Just been down to a local MOT Station and asked the bloke outright. The basic answer is that there is no official daylight MOT. You present your bike for a normal MOT, it then either pass's or fails. In the case of headlights, mirrors, brake lights if they are fitted then they must work, you will not get away with them being masked over. You do however require a horn, this does not have to be run from the engine electrics.

If your bike has no lights etc and pass's you will be given your V30 certificate, but also a V32 which states that the bike had no lights etc at the time of tesing, and should only be used during daylight hours (sound familiar) and not at night or during times of low visibility. This will also advise you to get lights etc.

In the case of tyres, if by some strange reason the not for road use/competion use only lettering had somehow been removed, then this should also pass (this is dependant on the tester).

This also applies to exhausts, you can either put a sticker over the not for road use (the tester cannot remove it to check) or just file and polish it off.

HTH

Lewis.
08-03-11, 10:22 PM
Errrr, yes you will need a brake light as every powered vehicle has to have one iirc, and dependant on the date of manufacture it should have to have mirrors and indicators too.

I thought they had done away with the old loophole of a 'daytime' MOT years ago?

nope, not on a bike you dont, if no lights are fitted then brake light is not required. I know, I did this exact thing with a CR250 last year :thumb: read pistol petes quote

and regarding mirrors/indicators, thats for cars. bikes are different standards. its all about hand signals, and being able to look over your shoulder

MattBrown
08-03-11, 11:09 PM
If i remember rightly this can be a bit of a ball ache, you will need to get a letter from the manufacturer stating the year of manufacture and the bikes details, engine/frame numbers etc.
Get a current mot and proof of insurance and take these along with your licence to your local tax office as they will probably want to inspect the bike.

For it's MOT, it will need, indicators, horn, mirrors, tail light, tyres etc.
Maybe even a muffler as i'm not sure what the regs are off road bike cans.

Have some rep.

That's actually nearly totally correct.

Knobblies (ac10 michelins) and a couple of others are road legal.

It's 89, so way before emissions.

Exhaust depends upon mot tester.

Needs to have a frame number, and engine number (if these are missing it's probably robbed)

Also, just go buy a road legal ktm 125.

For £1200, it will be quicker, cheaper and a lot more fun.

Or for £400 get a dtr125, yeah they ain't amazing, but for the money they're ace.

MattBrown
08-03-11, 11:14 PM

Any powered vehicle after 1916 I think (old bikes here lol)

Personally I wouldn't bother, motocross bikes are **** on the road, it will do 55-60 flat out if geared for motox.

It needs fuel mixing, so can only ride for half an hour flat out and it's back home for some 40:1

They need a rebuild every 8-15 hours depending upon your usage etc.

They're slow, well not slow, but for the fuel, and running costs they are.

However, I would put it in the garage, drag it out in 30 years and then restore it, maybe not worth anything then, but will be one hell of a nice toy.

L14MNP
08-03-11, 11:56 PM
ill prob only use it offroad on weekends

Watch it. You can't fcuk about on wasteland etc like we used to on the old DTR's, KX's, Cubs (whatever we had) lol.

Nice bikes though. :cool:

MattBrown
09-03-11, 12:02 AM
Watch it. You can't fcuk about on wasteland etc like we used to on the old DTR's, KX's, Cubs (whatever we had) lol.

Nice bikes though. :cool:

Meh, very very unusual for police to say anything.

Usually thank us for not being on the road, and being sensible with all the gear on etc!

L14MNP
09-03-11, 12:04 AM
Meh, very very unusual for police to say anything.

Usually thank us for not being on the road, and being sensible with all the gear on etc!

:cool: Good to hear tbh! Lewi will have the Northumbria chopper on him before you can say stolen MTX. lol

LEWI007
09-03-11, 12:06 AM
You know what its like round here Liam lol id get done for pushing it across the road to the garage..

Went to look at it a couple hours ago and its very nice and old skool.

BTW Liam, come on MSN Now i need to tell u something ?

brainsnova
09-03-11, 01:02 AM
Stick to 4 wheels and one project at a time

bazil
09-03-11, 09:32 AM
I've done a full resto on my 1991 cr125r but I'd never try to put it road legal for 1 very simple reason,

Crossers are pish on Tarmac, it's a trip to A+E in the waiting, also being and old bike the KTM 125 road legal bike would woop the kx IMO
my mate made his YZF450 road legal, that was worth doing,

oh and btw do you have a bike licence?

sport
09-03-11, 10:07 AM
oh and btw do you have a bike licence?

lol lol lol :cry: lol lol lol :cry:

LEWI007
09-03-11, 06:48 PM
Im off the road legal idea now, no i dont have any license and im banned :(

I cant work on the nova right now its abandoned unfortunately due to some stupid argument situation with my dad and it being in his garage. so im thinking buy the bike as another hobby..

Pistol Pete
09-03-11, 07:05 PM
No bike license and your banned!!!?? Hmmm, modded Nike Air Max might be order of the day instead dude!

LEWI007
09-03-11, 07:07 PM
lol Im saving up money and planning on getting the license soon though, im just stuck in a very very very crappy situation at the minute.

Hoochie
09-03-11, 07:10 PM
No bike license and your banned!!!?? Hmmm, modded Nike Air Max might be order of the day instead dude!

Ohhhhhh....i did giggle my chebs off..............:dlol:d