PDA

View Full Version : rear hub torque settings?

gazz
07-03-11, 06:50 PM
will be changing rear bearings in the corsa this week, wanting to know if there is a torque setting?
or is it the old, tighten till no rocking movement?
1997 corsa 1.4 16v/ tappered bearings

kevster
07-03-11, 06:55 PM
think your find you just take up the play in the bering , i all ways do it with the wheel on :)

nova_saloon
07-03-11, 08:59 PM
think you do it up to around 50nm then keep backing off till you can move just move the washer about. correct me someone if i am wrong but im sure thats it

Cle
07-03-11, 10:07 PM
As he said ^^ tighten up then loosen off.

craig green
07-03-11, 10:20 PM
According to Haynes their is a seating in torque value & then a lowewr value which you still need to be able to just move the washer behind the nut.

get this wrong & overtighten the bearing race will cook the bearing & the stub axle. I know...

wwmnw
07-03-11, 10:23 PM
According to Haynes their is a seating in torque value & then a lowewr value which you still need to be able to just move the washer behind the nut.

get this wrong & overtighten the bearing race will cook the bearing & the stub axle. I know...

I saw that happen on a Corsa B a few years back, wheels travel far by themselves.

Welsh Dan
07-03-11, 11:35 PM
I think you have to tighten it to 28nm, then slacken it until you can just move the washer with a screwdriver.

Lee
07-03-11, 11:37 PM
I saw that happen on a Corsa B a few years back, wheels travel far by themselves.

Me too. The dappy woman driving veered into my sprinter and stoved the door in.

It will make an unbelievable racket before it parts company though. makes you wonder about some people.

brainsnova
07-03-11, 11:46 PM
I drove a nova in the past and the wheel bearing was noisy so I kept driving it for months until the bearing collapsed and the wheel started shaking so I kept driving until the hub cracked lol

Lee
07-03-11, 11:49 PM
You are a credit to the UK road network lol