PDA

View Full Version : Lift off oversteer & repair panels

NavNova
02-03-11, 01:50 PM
Does anyone else get huge lift off oversteer in their Nova? Or is mine bad because it's stripped out.

On a related note, what repair panels would people recommend?

craig green
02-03-11, 02:56 PM
Novas arent really known for lift off oversteer, like older French hatches were. It is either the weight saving or a handling issue you have. If you are able to use it to your advantage & keep control of the car then keep it as it is.

Iain
02-03-11, 02:57 PM
Judging by the panel question he can't keep control lol What's damaged?

Stuart
02-03-11, 03:36 PM
lift off oversteer is only a problem if you provoke it.... or there is a setup problem like Craig says, but tbh even with the most lashed up handling novas I've driven they arent easily provkable lol

NavNova
02-03-11, 03:54 PM
Must be a set up problem then. It only started happening after I changed the front tyres to a semi-gravel spec tyre, or something got damaged on the first event I did with the gravel tyres.

The whole front ends wrecked. Bonnet, wings, bumper, headlights, front panels, radiator, etc. I havent had a chance yet to take it apart so don't know the full extent of the damage.

Stuart
02-03-11, 04:29 PM
you havent confused lift off oversteer with understeer that you lift off to get the front to dig in and actually take you round the bend...?

Ben
02-03-11, 04:34 PM
you havent confused lift off oversteer with understeer that you lift off to get the front to dig in and actually take you round the bend...?

as novas understeer like a bitch!

mowgli
02-03-11, 04:38 PM
check the rear tracking, and then slow down a lot more on the straights... rallying is all about slow in, fast out on corners....

djbrowney
02-03-11, 06:09 PM
how is the rear tracking adjust mowgli ???

mowgli
02-03-11, 06:11 PM
little tiny washers or a bloody great hammer

djbrowney
02-03-11, 06:16 PM

:eek: :eek: :eek:

mowgli
02-03-11, 06:22 PM
if the beam is bent, then its probs cheaper to swap it, but all metal will straighten, but the official gm dealer sport way to adjust tracking & camber involves taking the drum/hub assy off, fitting spacer washers, or angle machined shims, and bolting it back up

total_vauxhall
02-03-11, 06:28 PM
use junior hack saw blades behing the hub they get it set up pritty good

nova_saloon
02-03-11, 06:36 PM

lol yeh thats going to be a big hammer

mowgli
02-03-11, 06:42 PM
if i can't sort something with a 14lb, then its beyond fixing....

Rexy
02-03-11, 06:57 PM
Only nova I've ever had a problem with the **** end comming round was a 1300 sr With spax rsx coilovers and a rollcage front arb was removed.

It would also only do it if you lifted off on roundabouts and you know you really don't want to lift off or break mid corner do you ;)

mowgli
02-03-11, 07:00 PM
like i said, brake on the straights, then accelerate thru the corners... its the quick way... then add left foot braking to set the car up into the corners & you are onto a winner.... if only real life was as easy.....

Rexy
02-03-11, 07:03 PM
Prft stop playing with FWD mowgli :P Get some rear wheel steering on the go...

mowgli
02-03-11, 07:24 PM
all of my novas have had 4 wheel steering.... its the lever behind the gearstick..... i get loads of rwd fun too, but in an L200 truck!

Stuart
02-03-11, 09:56 PM
trail braking mid bend is ace though... controls the understeer etc

16v Nova Kev
02-03-11, 10:19 PM
Must be a set up problem then. It only started happening after I changed the front tyres to a semi-gravel spec tyre, or something got damaged on the first event I did with the gravel tyres.

The whole front ends wrecked. Bonnet, wings, bumper, headlights, front panels, radiator, etc. I havent had a chance yet to take it apart so don't know the full extent of the damage.

mk1 bonnet and mk1 n/s wing here

NavNova
03-03-11, 09:30 AM

Oh no, definatly oversteer. I don't know why the tyres would make a difference but they are the only thing that I've changed.

I'm at a loss to how it happened, unless there was somthing slippy on the road or something broke.

NavNova
03-03-11, 09:44 AM
Only nova I've ever had a problem with the **** end comming round was a 1300 sr With spax rsx coilovers and a rollcage front arb was removed.

I have Bilstein rear dampers with a rollcage and no front ARB. But that's the way I've always ran her and it was never a problem before.

NavNova
03-03-11, 09:52 AM
So can anyone recommend a brand of repair panel. I've used Hadrian wings before and they seemed a good fit.

I'm going to need this whole section:
http://hadrian.dominohosting.biz/hadrian/hcpdb01.nsf/PartNoDocID%2F8FB9A06BFD32CF4C8025759D00784299!Edi tDocument&Ret=ALL

Stuart
03-03-11, 09:54 AM
so you change the front end grip and wonder why there is an imbalance....

NavNova
03-03-11, 10:14 AM
so you change the front end grip and wonder why there is an imbalance....

No need to talk down to me. Why would reducing the front grip make the rear slide rather than just induce more understeer?

Iain
03-03-11, 11:03 AM
Guessing Stuart figured you'd swap the tyres for more grip rather than less.

Stuart
03-03-11, 07:39 PM
Even with less grip it would make the front end understeery, so lifting off the throttle would snap the grip to the front and make them dig in and then unsettle the back end more than if all tyres were the same etc...

Feck I span at Llandow from doing what seemed like nothing different, i turns out i lifted a touch mid bend... **** happens and I lived. Didnt blame the car for anything

NavNova
09-03-11, 09:35 PM
I'm having trouble finding a new front panel, the places I've rang say there is a Europe wide shortage, is this right?

Does anyone know where I can source one? It's the full panel I need, top and bottom with tie bar reinforcements.

mk1nova_rich
09-03-11, 09:38 PM
thats the crossmember as well as a front panel mate, hard to come by as far as I know, although Nobby has recently fitted one to his in projects. May be worth having a look to see where he got it from...

J8TRO
09-03-11, 09:44 PM
Only time i had the back end come round on a Nova was a friends with a rear disc conversion and the bias was not correct. When i hit the brakes it tried to swap ends. Is it wagging its tail under braking or is it as you lift off throttle?

I have an old school french hatch known for Lift off oversteer and it really really has to be provoked.

turbojolt
09-03-11, 09:49 PM
I'm having trouble finding a new front panel, the places I've rang say there is a Europe wide shortage, is this right?

Does anyone know where I can source one? It's the full panel I need, top and bottom with tie bar reinforcements.

i brought my panels from a company recently let me check my invoices and i will let you know who they are as im sure they have full front ends :thumb:

grooge
09-03-11, 11:28 PM
i got one from ailsa car panels in kilmarnock, ayrshire. maybe try them??

NavNova
10-03-11, 01:33 PM
Nobby has recently fitted one to his in projects. May be worth having a look to see where he got it from...

I see from his WIP that he got it from eBay. Only one guy selling them on eBay so I ordered one from him this morning, happy days. Hope it survives its journey to NI alright.