PDA

View Full Version : Machining tie rods for more castor

Mieran
01-03-11, 10:23 PM
Is this something OK to do?

My concern is the TCA bushes will be squeezed a bit and the TCA it self won't move freely.

If anyone done this feel free to share your views

Cheers

MK1_Ben
01-03-11, 10:24 PM
When I was working with MG race cars, it was done often.

Fine to do if done properly.

mk1nova_rich
01-03-11, 10:25 PM
Been done before, just remember to lengthen the thread too

Ideally the TCAs need fitting with rose-joints rather than bushes

mowgli
01-03-11, 10:28 PM
don't you use eccentric top mounts to do this?

Mieran
01-03-11, 10:28 PM
Btw, anyone got a pic to show how much thread there should be left when an unmodified tie rod is fitted to the bracket.

mk1nova_rich
01-03-11, 10:29 PM
don't you use eccentric top mounts to do this?

Yes, especially when there is a set for sale for only £60. And will allow far more adjustability than machining the tie rods, which is going to cost anyway unless you have access to machines

mk1nova_rich
01-03-11, 10:30 PM
Btw, anyone got a pic to show how much thread there should be left when an unmodified tie rod is fitted to the bracket.

Look in mechanical thread on my sump guard brackets thread, page 3 or 4 I think

Iain
01-03-11, 10:31 PM
Far more adjustability? How much castor adjustment do topmounts give compared to machined tiebars then?

mowgli
01-03-11, 10:34 PM
i was thinking that it was a safer way of doing it, instead of stressing the bushes on the lower arm

mk1nova_rich
01-03-11, 10:35 PM
Far more adjustability? How much castor adjustment do topmounts give compared to machined tiebars then?

Depends how much is machined off, I would imagine more castor can actually be gained in machining the tie bars than fitting top mounts.

I meant more adjustability in terms of the castor and camber can be played with rather than being 'fixed'. As well as the aforementioned potential problems with it pulling the TCA bush too much...

Stuart
01-03-11, 10:37 PM
how much castor do you think you really need.....?