PDA

View Full Version : Petrolbombed: What to do next??

Dan Stanley
28-02-11, 01:43 PM
Hi
Typical night in Dagenham, watching a film, see your living room lit up in orangey light, look out of your window to see your car ablaze..... :wtf:

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx224/DanStanley/B893YAR/phonepicsfeb2011062.jpg

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx224/DanStanley/B893YAR/phonepicsfeb2011064.jpg

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx224/DanStanley/B893YAR/phonepicsfeb2011065.jpg

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx224/DanStanley/B893YAR/phonepicsfeb2011066.jpg

:eek: :eek: :eek:
The car has been taken away to be examined by the forensics team. The interior is obviously smoke damaged. The windscreen is cracked from the heat, the passenger quarterlight had been put through (to pour in the petrol, throw in the match) the Roof lining melted, dash bubbled, carpets and pass seat burnt, etc. Im sure the engine, wheels, suspension and most body panels are fine.

I dont know what to do next, so if anyone has been in a similar situation or has genuine advice, please let me know. Im not sure if the car will be worth the repair as it was in my eyes mint and I assume hard to replace an interior of that age..... ???
Has anyone repaired similar damage? Does the smell ever go away?!!
I was presuming it'd only good for breaking for its parts now. If thats the case then I would also presume not going through my insurance would also be best.
???
I'd only just run the new engine in, the car flew!! :cry:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys.. :confused:

Paul
28-02-11, 01:45 PM
Thats fcuking gutting mate, who have you upset!

AlexW
28-02-11, 01:46 PM
:( If the roof is ok id at least fit another interior, even if its a GTE/GSi one, or a basic one, not nessarly correct for the age of the car. Presuming the roof isnt bent from the heat.

Sucks man :( Don't give up.

Spudly
28-02-11, 01:46 PM
I would say some new trim and possibly wiring loom (depending how long the fire was burning for) and she will go again, obviously you will need soem new glass and possibly a few panels painted, id wait to have a think about it and you see the car again in the cold light of day before you make a decision, id ssy keep and fix/try to fix.

Any idea on which scumbags might have done this?

Southie
28-02-11, 01:48 PM
Holy shiit :eek::eek::eek: Have you piissed someone off or is this a normal night then what a set of w@nkers, truly gutted for you hope you sort something out and the cops find the little :tosser:

mowgli
28-02-11, 01:56 PM
i'm gutted for you. it should be repairable...

but i keep seeing this image
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRQjfhYqv4nbubhey9A4PWHSUisSQycf KGZI2IRRoiX6JVbAvWyEBtJdv8

brainsnova
28-02-11, 01:57 PM
That's **** mate :cry:

L14MNP
28-02-11, 01:59 PM
^ Looks like his radio may be about still working too.

That is **** news mate! Hope you get to the bottom of it and the car is saveable!

Edd
28-02-11, 02:00 PM
That's fooking shocking tbh :eek:

It's not right but I'd take the law into my own hands :mad:

Ant idea who did it ? Or is it the norm in Dagenham ?
Glad I live in a small rural town

Going by the pics it does look fixable, but you would have to ask yourself could it happen again ?

Dan Stanley
28-02-11, 02:07 PM
Any idea on which scumbags might have done this?

Just started seeing a new girl. Shes been perfection in every way, then you find out the hard way she has an unhinged ex.
The police arent confident. The tw@t left a fuel can nozzle (looks new, Garage CCTV, receipts etc?), brick and box of matches next to the car. However apparently the box of matches is seen as a moveable piece of evidence, so even if they found his DNA on it, it doesnt necessarily mean that he was there at that time.

I got the fire out quickly, thanks to a garden hose aimed 10m away pointed through the quarterlight window. But I suppose assessing the car once I get it back is the best way of deciding its fate. I would only want it with the same base interior for it. I loved it bacause it was basic and clean. :(
I already have another nova awaiting a re-shell on my 'to-do' list!

bmw156
28-02-11, 02:09 PM
:( If the roof is ok id at least fit another interior, even if its a GTE/GSi one, or a basic one, not nessarly correct for the age of the car. Presuming the roof isnt bent from the heat.

Sucks man :( Don't give up.
i agree with this, is doesnt look to bad, wiring loom could be a pain, but dont scrap it what ever. seems like you caught it in time :)

also, quarter light here if you pay the postage. also have theblack upright bit if you need it.

nova_saloon
28-02-11, 02:14 PM
what an utter **** < thats the C word by the way. why is it always the nice ones that have wired ass ex b/f's

man i loved that brown nova was so good. assess it and see what can be done with the damage. but i will certainly keep an eye out for an interior around here. im sure others will do the same

Dan Stanley
28-02-11, 02:23 PM
man i loved that brown nova was so good. assess it and see what can be done with the damage. but i will certainly keep an eye out for an interior around here. im sure others will do the same

Thanks dude, that means alot. If I had another full interior then I'd defo repair it. Wouldnt want to let that scumbag win. I was assuming all the silly trim bits would be hard to come by, such as the vinyl pillar trims, brown dash with blanking plates, brown carpet and gear gaitor etc. Once I get it back, maybe towards the end of the week, I'll post some more pics up.

nova_saloon
28-02-11, 02:34 PM
yeh the brown dash is an ****. scrappy round here had a really old nova come in with the brown dash and all that. and someone on here got there before me yanked everything out! and bought it for bugger all. if only the breakers knew!. you can get lucky as they do turn up/ sad thing is it was a saloon, and there win. but would be good to have it back to the way it was. was nice like that! so very different

brainsnova
28-02-11, 02:43 PM
Crazy ex's need shot it's not your fault your girlfriend choose you.

mowgli
28-02-11, 02:47 PM
sorry to use an inappropriate analogy here, but there is never smoke without fire...... what previous has the gf got with this bloke to make him do this to your car??? i think you might need to reassess your relationship with her...

Maka
28-02-11, 02:56 PM
absolutely devastated for you mate, was such a tastefully done motor. very original.
best of luck with getting everything sorted, hopefully the police will catch the scumbag who did this

Edd
28-02-11, 03:41 PM
Do the ex over big time

Fire the bird off

Fix the car

I have brown A piller vinyl you can have for nowt, I don't need 6 sets lol

stupot89
28-02-11, 03:43 PM
gutted for you mate

Jeff16v
28-02-11, 04:02 PM
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee77/gsijeff/Billing%202010/DSC_0819.jpg

If its this one, gutted for you mate. Is it not salvagable??????

Dan Stanley
28-02-11, 04:13 PM
^^^yup, that was/is it. Since then I rebuilt the engine with +1mm oversized pistons, lightened flywheel, F13CR 'box etc.
Im now thinking if its not effected the panels, perhaps I could get some mates around some weekend and strip the interior. I must have another set of glass, some odd seats, etc to get it back on the road at least until the T&T runs out in the Summer.
Has anyone ever repaired fire damaged cars before on here that might be able to tell me how hard/easy it could possibly be??

Dan Stanley
28-02-11, 04:16 PM
sorry to use an inappropriate analogy here, but there is never smoke without fire...... what previous has the gf got with this bloke to make him do this to your car??? i think you might need to reassess your relationship with her...

The guy has been released on Bail until April, as he says he has an alibi. He was stupid enough to leave the brick, fuel can nozzle, box of matches next to the car. He'd also been drinking all day and must of had to drive to my car, then off to the petrol station, then back again. Surely the police can find some CCTV....

Jeff16v
28-02-11, 04:16 PM
Rob - Spanishfly 99% rebuilt following fire-rats

Jack
28-02-11, 04:18 PM
I reckon that looks repairable. Main structure seems ok, the interior shot looks bad but thats probably just as said smoke/heat damage to the trim. Surprised the dash looks so solid still! I guess you caught the fire early.

I'd consider a private repair rather than insurance, assuming nothing else was damaged (such as the road or whatever).

Still a major pain though :(

sr jack
28-02-11, 04:38 PM
ahhhhh man gives me the right hump. i loved this saloon DONT! break it fix it.

if someone done that to mine they would be looking down the end of a 12 bore lol

their seems to be alot of support on hear for you, ill keep a eye out for parts matey.

brainsnova
28-02-11, 04:55 PM
Remove all the melted bits wearing gloves and clean all the smoke damage parts then you can see what you need. Dont give up as if you put the fire out pretty fast it will just be cosmetic.

MK1_Ben
28-02-11, 05:47 PM
Sorry to hear that :(. I've seen cars damaged much worse from fire be repaired. It looks purely cosmetic so providing you can source parts it will be easy to repair :)

nova man dan
28-02-11, 06:20 PM
not good. i really like this car ive got a few bit if u get stuck and not to far away

Jeff16v
28-02-11, 06:40 PM
I think once you start stripping it won't be that bad. Strip then post wanted ad for all the bits needed, I hope to take more pics at billing again this year, best of luck:thumb:

mk1nova_rich
28-02-11, 06:44 PM
****ing law sucks cock :mad: so he is guilty of drink driving as well as burning your car...?! Cnut should be locked up and the key thrown away. Hope its repairable mate

Bubba
28-02-11, 07:40 PM
Thanks dude, that means alot. If I had another full interior then I'd defo repair it. Wouldnt want to let that scumbag win. I was assuming all the silly trim bits would be hard to come by, such as the vinyl pillar trims, brown dash with blanking plates, brown carpet and gear gaitor etc. Once I get it back, maybe towards the end of the week, I'll post some more pics up.

i MIGHT have brown carpet...i honestly cant remember what was in mine. are more door hatches the same carpet or not?

reevie1987
28-02-11, 07:59 PM
girls = trouble thats why i dont have one gutted for you mate shame you cant keep it in a safe lock up or summates cant really keep a nice car on the streets these days in this modern world shame really

Jack
28-02-11, 08:02 PM
i MIGHT have brown carpet...i honestly cant remember what was in mine. are more door hatches the same carpet or not?
I reckon a 5dr carpet would be different to a 2dr...

Graeme
28-02-11, 08:38 PM
What an absolute bell end this fella must be, once I've had my new head made I'll donate a mint 2 door headlining, to help get it back to its best

Bubba
28-02-11, 08:58 PM
I reckon a 5dr carpet would be different to a 2dr...
i was thinking that..or at least half of it might be different.

i shall go upto the barn tomorrow after work and have a look and get pics. i have no use for them, if they are useable (and they are indeed brown which im sure they are) you can have them

General Baxter
28-02-11, 09:08 PM
carpets,

fronts are the same, rears are slightly diff where the run around the top of the seats

joe.riley
28-02-11, 09:09 PM
realy sorry to hear bout this mate i went down marks gate earlier and dan told me i hope you get it sorted mate. i will have a look in me shed i think i have a set of rear seats the same pattern and in cream if you want them let me know ill drop them to you.:thumb:

Bubba
28-02-11, 09:19 PM
carpets,

fronts are the same, rears are slightly diff where the run around the top of the seats

so...in theory would you notice it with seats in?

John
28-02-11, 09:21 PM
Dude that is proper gutting. I think i have a spare brown glovebox, pm if you need it.

General Baxter
28-02-11, 09:23 PM
so...in theory would you notice it with seats in?

i managed to put 4 door carpet into my 2 door, the seats in the 4 door wrap around where then 2 doors are flat across the back, you need to do a little trimming thats all :p

tony k
28-02-11, 09:59 PM
Sorry to hear about tour car mate,know how you feel,mine caught alight while I was driving,car locked me in,had to climb out through the sunroof,had my phone and money on the other seat didnt have time to get them,time I ran to the phone box and back about 2mins come back and basically it was burnt out,got my mate to tow me home,was only 10 mins from home,everything was melted,wanted to scrap it,but just thought sod it crack on getting it done,hardest part was getting the plastic and rubber off the bodywork,used a scraper and wire wheel and loads and loads of thinners,that got rid of most of the burnt smell,then left it to air for a month,so it can be done but in your case sourcing the parts you want maybe hard,but someone will have parts tho,I know it's hard,but you will sort it

Dave.
28-02-11, 11:20 PM
Has anyone ever repaired fire damaged cars before on here that might be able to tell me how hard/easy it could possibly be??

Ive seen worse fire damaged cars than yours repaired and as good as new

That DEFONATLEY IS fixable, at the very most itll need a new interior, their wouldnt of been enough heat to warp major structural points and panels tbh, the interior looks all there, just melted, not burnt

Will easilly go again, strip it all out, clean up all the smoke marks on the metal inside, enw interior and abit of Oust, should be as good as new :thumb:

matt_vaughan
01-03-11, 01:37 PM
My lass had a slightly unhinged ex, but his downfall was threatening the family. Her older brother had a "quick word" and we never heard anything from him since. He's the type that's all talk, till someone much smaller decks him :D

VnoNovaD
01-03-11, 02:06 PM
Bad crack.

Law always seem to let down the decent folk IME.
Think theyd take an interest quickly enough if you set the fool alight mind.

Good luck with the repair man, looks like an awesome car.

Connor
01-03-11, 03:23 PM
Thats absolutely gutting mate, please repair it though pal, otherwise if you break it or get rid the scum have won :thumb:

Bubba
01-03-11, 08:01 PM
shocking pic...might help

carpet, moredoor. dunno if its any help to you, can get better daylight pics if need be

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/40321_458546672844_717137844_6440467_1207183_n.jpg

novadose2009
01-03-11, 08:28 PM
Sorry Dint Answer You When You rang Me Dan. Well I Have A Full Carpet Set And Complete Interior But I Dont Have Any Seats To Replace These With If I Got Some Brown Seats Or Daytonna Brown Chequed Then You Can Av The Lot Buddy.

And As You No Who Done It I Would Not Have Any Wasted Anytime On My Way To His And Doing Him Its Shame Ur So Far From Me As I Got No Transport Atm :cry:

Sorry Pal Got Most Bits You Need Tho..

Simon

Count Vaux Alot
01-03-11, 08:41 PM
Hi Dan I'm so gutted for you however I have the same front seats as you had from my brown saloon available if you need some?

joe.riley
01-03-11, 08:43 PM
if he dont have the brown seats i wouldent mind having a look:thumb: i think i may have some brown carpets aswell dont know how clean they are tho

paddy quinn
02-03-11, 05:57 AM
bet it was a chav that was jealous of you mate i personaly despise the little sh1ts

Ben
02-03-11, 06:33 PM
I have repaired a few burtn insurance write off's, you just need to take it back to whats good, eg the loom etc just trace it back unti its good then replace the bad.

First things first remove EVERYTHING fire damaged including the glass etc then give it a proper clean, then you wont even know the fire was there than put it back together again.

Dan Stanley
03-03-11, 05:47 PM
UPDATE:
The police rang me yesterday to tell me they had finished taking forensics from my car, they said they'd get in contact with the recovery firm (D&G cars) that had my car and get back to me. I hadn't heard anything from anyone, so I rang D&G this afternoon. They told me my car was ready to be collected and if I didnt pick it up by 5pm on Friday then I would start getting charged!! I said had you been waiting for me to collect it and explained nobody had informed me it was ready. D&G said they'd written to me (WTF???) and that I'd have the letter soon!
This takes the pi$$ as I wouldnt have recieved the letter until Friday morning and that would of been by the time I got home from work, by which point it'd of been too late to arrange recovery of the car and I'd of been charged storage fees!!!!!
FFS!

I'd like to thank everyone for their helpful comments, this sort of thing really shows the decency of this club. :-)

If I can get it home by the weekend then I'll strip it back and clean it up, then post up a wanted list for interior bits. I'll definately need the beige front seats, plain beige passenger door card, brown front carpet, non sunroof head lining.
Thanks to anyone offering parts, I'll be in touch....

mowgli
03-03-11, 08:24 PM
thats not like a recovery firm to try & get a load of storage costs out of an innocent car owner........

Stuart
03-03-11, 08:42 PM
wear gloves when removing the burnt bits!!!!! Part burnt rubber/fabrics etc are properly evil. Infact I'd even wear a mask too. I know its a bit namby pamby but automotive stuff is proper nasty when burnt.

Bubba
03-03-11, 08:58 PM
thats not like a recovery firm to try & get a load of storage costs out of an innocent car owner........

very strange that :tard:

wear gloves when removing the burnt bits!!!!! Part burnt rubber/fabrics etc are properly evil. Infact I'd even wear a mask too. I know its a bit namby pamby but automotive stuff is proper nasty when burnt.

very true...

Spudly
03-03-11, 09:42 PM
Who cares about namby pamby, wear a mask ffs im not joking, most stuff in a car is carcinogenic once burnt, wear a mask, push the bungs out of the floor, disconnect the battery and use your hose pipe, rinse it all out thoroughly and im willing to bet £20 that your car is easily recoverable, in fact, pm me your paypal and ill send you £20 towards repair costs as i havent any beige parts to send you:cry:

Bubba
03-03-11, 09:52 PM
possibly have a beige door card...off me more door...dont think i destroyed the passanger one getting it off.

Dan Stanley
09-03-11, 08:14 PM
Update:
I got the car recovered back to my house Friday after work. I managed to push the bungs out of the floor pan to release the water out. There was at least an inch of water still sitting inside the car from when I put the fire out! Then Saturday, me and my bro started to strip the car back. Taking out burnt stuff and anything that might be easier to clean outside of the car.

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx224/DanStanley/B893YAR/101_0449.jpg

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx224/DanStanley/B893YAR/101_0451.jpg

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx224/DanStanley/B893YAR/101_0453.jpg

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx224/DanStanley/B893YAR/101_0461.jpg

The wiring loom behind the glovebox end of the dash has taken some damage, Im going to have to splice in some new wires....

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx224/DanStanley/B893YAR/101_0462.jpg

Annoyingly, the transparent cover over the instrument panel seems to have dulled and the indicator stalks have reacted badly to the heat. The indicators stalks are different to later stalks IIRC, they have different plugs on the back. Hopefully I can find some of these...

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx224/DanStanley/B893YAR/101_0460.jpg

But at least I can see where to begin the repair now. Theres a few bits salvageable if I can clean them up ok. Im going to put up a wanted post, so if you think you may have something that I need, please check it out and let me know.

Thanks
Dan
:thumb:

sr jack
09-03-11, 08:36 PM
glad you got your car back safely. hope you find all the parts you need and get the beast back on the road intime for show season :)

Dan Stanley
09-03-11, 08:41 PM
glad you got your car back safely. hope you find all the parts you need and get the beast back on the road intime for show season :)

Cheers dude. I think Ive found, or have been offered;
brown dash
front seats
brown carpets
doorcard
A pillar trim

Im going to have to find some transport and start a road trip to collect it all! lol

turbojolt
09-03-11, 08:43 PM
why people do these things is beyond me but fair play on getting it back the way you want it again.

General Baxter
09-03-11, 08:43 PM
need a brown mk1 centre console ?

MK1_Ben
09-03-11, 08:50 PM
Good to see you cracking on with getting it back on the road :)

sr jack
09-03-11, 09:09 PM
Cheers dude. I think Ive found, or have been offered;
brown dash
front seats
brown carpets
doorcard
A pillar trim

Im going to have to find some transport and start a road trip to collect it all! lol

if i had the time i would be willing to use my van for the road trip, but works stopping me from this :(

Dan Stanley
09-03-11, 10:38 PM
need a brown mk1 centre console ?

Ermm....
It never had one, so I haven't missed one!
Thanks anyway dude.

Bubba
09-03-11, 11:10 PM
think ive got some stalks...i shall check for you

joe.riley
09-03-11, 11:58 PM
hope you get this sorted soon mate, let me know if you need a hand :thumb:

Southie
10-03-11, 12:30 AM
Nice to see you or your brother a wearing full protective gear lol

Glad your sorting it out :)

24sevenslacker
10-03-11, 06:42 AM

you get hydrofluoric acid coming out of burnt plastics... it eats your bones!

Dan Stanley
10-03-11, 07:14 AM
hope you get this sorted soon mate, let me know if you need a hand :thumb:

Thanks for the carpets Joe. It was nice to see your saloon, cant believe you were smoking in it though! Talk about rub it in!!! lol lol

Looks like Im off to the VBOA spares day as well...... :d

General Baxter
10-03-11, 05:31 PM
H&S FTW,

we dare arch ether to lick burnt clutch disks at work lol

joe.riley
12-03-11, 12:32 AM
Thanks for the carpets Joe. It was nice to see your saloon, cant believe you were smoking in it though! Talk about rub it in!!! lol lol

Looks like Im off to the VBOA spares day as well...... :d

lol didnt mean 2 rub it in :thumb: good luck with the spares trip let me know how you get on.

NOV4_SPORT
12-03-11, 01:17 PM
Glad your getting on with the re placing and rebuilding the car matey. all the best

iain

Ernie
13-03-11, 08:27 AM
I don't get on here much now so only just seen this. Gutted for you but glad it's getting sorted.

Yorkie
13-03-11, 09:30 AM
:eek: Noooooooooo yours was my faveroute nova!!!!!!!! :cry:

Sorry for you mate, dont give up on it, it was one of the best nova's iv seen, hope the plice work out who the b*****d was that did it. But dont give up on it seriously because it was such a nice car.

ward
14-03-11, 10:01 PM
dan i may have the stalks that ur after. ull have to check them against the ones i have spare tho. but they did come off an early one

wwmnw
15-03-11, 01:07 AM

I've touched burnt plastic before and still have all my digits, unless you mean when its still hot?

brainsnova
15-03-11, 01:43 AM
I've touched burnt plastic before and still have all my digits, unless you mean when its still hot?

It's covered in the front of Haynes manuals under the safety first section.

Dave.
15-03-11, 01:53 AM
Ive touched burnt out cars/burnt tyres etc when our gloves have ripped at work, jsut wash straight away within afew mins and usually good as new

mowgli
15-03-11, 08:46 AM
i have a weird little chemical burn on my left middle finger...i never did know how it got there... it doesn't hurt, & i've had it years... just be careful.

Dan Stanley
15-03-11, 08:58 AM
[QUOTE=ward]dan i may have the stalks that ur after. ull have to check them against the ones i have spare tho. but they did come off an early one[/QUO

Lovely stuff. Did you want me to come over with one of my early stalks as a comparison then? I can do the weekend coming up? Let me know
:thumb:

I'd just like to say how helpful PNG'ers have been, much appreciated. :cool:

ward
15-03-11, 10:31 PM
yh just message me as the convertable is a b reg and if that doest fit then im sure i can grab them of joe rileys other loon forya

Dan Stanley
16-03-11, 08:59 AM
yh just message me as the convertable is a b reg and if that doest fit then im sure i can grab them of joe rileys other loon forya

Pm'd you dude.... :thumb:

EDIT: empty your bloody inbox!!!!! lol

Asa-James
16-03-11, 07:56 PM
Just pm'd with a piccy of the stalks

ward
16-03-11, 08:16 PM
empty'd it fella

MK999
16-03-11, 08:18 PM
Only just seen this as some fecker has driven into the phone cabinet thing outside my house at uni and something is still proper fecked with internet after they fixed the phone lines.

Properly ****ty thing to happen :( Always seems to be the better cars too! At least of the daily drivers on the forum. Glad you're repairing it though, it's a gorgeous loon and retro as fcuk :cool:

*Adz*
16-03-11, 09:27 PM
i gotta indicator stalk here if u want it mate. i can get a pic tomorrow for you so u can see if its the same.

and so sorry to hear bout this mate... its not nice at all!

Dan Stanley
22-03-11, 10:25 PM
Update:
Just a little update of Saturdays efforts. I removed the steering wheel and dash board to get access to the wiring loom. I knew some of it had been melted, but didnt know as to what extent. Unfortunately it had melted the wiring loom where it passed through the bulkhead into the engine bay....., :cry:

7 hours of stripping back, separating, cutting out and soldering had it sorted. Although it had left me with a banging headache! Once I'd connected the battery and turned the key, the engine fired into life first time! WOOHOO!! lol

The worst of it.... http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx224/DanStanley/B893YAR/Camerapics060.jpg

A bit of electrickery later...
http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx224/DanStanley/B893YAR/Camerapics062.jpg

Its not pretty, but it works....
http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx224/DanStanley/B893YAR/Camerapics063.jpg
:cool:

MK1_Ben
22-03-11, 10:34 PM
Congrats!, good to know it started fine too :)