PDA

View Full Version : cat d. is it permanent?

mr5050
27-02-11, 10:02 PM
if your car is registered as a cat d is there anything you can do to remove this from the history of the vehicle? as far as im aware cat d is just panel/non-structural damage that exceeds the repair costs? so surely if its repaired correctly there is no difference from the original car if you get what i mean:confused:

blue_peg_16v
27-02-11, 10:04 PM
cant be removed from the history (eg hpi) as the car has been a total loss the class is irrespective.

but and not that i condone this legaly a private seller dosent have to declaire it when selling were as trade do so unless they do an hpi check if the repairs are good they will never know

mk1nova_rich
27-02-11, 10:04 PM
Correct, but I'm pretty sure the marker stays on its history somehow even after its been repaired

blue_peg_16v
27-02-11, 10:08 PM
only c and d can go back on the road anyway, saying that i know of a b that is on the road on the origional numbers and had log book re issued, was sold as a c buy a salvage yard and after 6 years on the road after repair when the said owner went to renew the insurers refused as it was a cat b, is now insured elsewere with the insurers knowing

mk1nova_rich
27-02-11, 10:09 PM
Have you seen the Nova GTE on ebay that has had a rear end shunt, lad reckons with a bit of work it will see the road again... £150 starting bid, if nobody bids it will be a nice little money maker on the parts

Bubba
27-02-11, 10:11 PM
if your car is registered as a cat d is there anything you can do to remove this from the history of the vehicle? as far as im aware cat d is just panel/non-structural damage that exceeds the repair costs? so surely if its repaired correctly there is no difference from the original car if you get what i mean:confused:

in a nova's case...a broken headlight lol

blue_peg_16v
27-02-11, 10:14 PM
i have but isnt it the one that every one said was wroten when it was fr sale 6 months since i have it on watch, only way accident damage dosent show on data base is if it hasnt been claimed for on an insurance policy as the insuers wont know so no history of damage and thus no inspection so no catagory

L14MNP
27-02-11, 10:49 PM
You can have a Cat D marker removed.

Mark
27-02-11, 11:39 PM
You can have a Cat D marker removed.

Since when and how?

stupot89
28-02-11, 02:07 AM
Since when and how?

As above and how my mate a panel beater of 20 yearslold at this

Jack
28-02-11, 08:14 AM
I thought all insurance write off markers were permanent? You can repair a C or D and return to road, but the marker still remains.

I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that the DVLA don't need to be informed of a D as it doesn't need a VIC check, where as a C does. And whilst you do have to declare a C to a prospective buyer, you don't have to inform them of a D - so its possible you could own a D vehicle without knowing it. Not sure how true that is though... had a quick look on the directgov site but as per usual its completely useless for finding relevant info lol

Mark
28-02-11, 08:25 AM

Indeed, I work for an insurance repairer and have bought quite a few Cat B, C & D's.

So I'd love to know about this magical fix.

Ben
28-02-11, 09:52 AM
Indeed, I work for an insurance repairer and have bought quite a few Cat B, C & D's.

So I'd love to know about this magical fix.

How do you buy the cat b's mark?

And no they cant be removed!

Plug
28-02-11, 10:05 AM
you can buy cat b's but they are to be broken only

mr5050
28-02-11, 10:20 AM
you can buy cat b's but they are to be broken only
cant they also be put back on the road as a Q plate?

Andy
28-02-11, 10:37 AM
A b can never be returned to the road.
Im sure you need a breakers licence to buy a B

Mark
28-02-11, 12:34 PM
A b can never be returned to the road.
Im sure you need a breakers licence to buy a B

You do indeed.

Mark
28-02-11, 12:35 PM
How do you buy the cat b's mark?

And no they cant be removed!

I have my own account for C's and D's and use works for B's.

L14MNP
28-02-11, 12:38 PM

Easy on the lol's.

I wasn't a million miles away. (http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showpost.php?p=649711&postcount=13)

The reason I mentioned it is because I am certain I read it from a reputable source a few years ago.

Looks like your panel beater mate needs to pay more attention. :thumb:

[EDIT] Another discussion. (http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=23&t=811785&nmt=Some%20say%20you%20can%20remove%20HPI%20classi fications%20%28cat%20C/D%20etc%29)

Ben
28-02-11, 02:28 PM
I have my own account for C's and D's and use works for B's.

makes perfect sense! just wondered if you found a loophole.

Mark
28-02-11, 09:06 PM
makes perfect sense! just wondered if you found a loophole.

I wish..lol Would be much easier.

blue_peg_16v
28-02-11, 09:09 PM
they cant be removed i worked in insurance for 8 years its there for a reasonn

hendrix
28-02-11, 10:27 PM
my sri nova was cat d. I never recalled seeing anything on the logbook though.
Cat d for having no keys

Mark
01-03-11, 12:22 AM
my sri nova was cat d. I never recalled seeing anything on the logbook though.
Cat d for having no keys

Only Cat C is printed on the logbook, unless it's a Van/commercial vehicle then neither C or D is printed on the logbook.

blue_peg_16v
01-03-11, 07:14 PM
d isnt on the log book but run a hpi check and it will show