PDA

View Full Version : Fixed block core plug leaking again

Iain
27-02-11, 05:53 PM
Are there any other reasons why a core plug would continue to leak once it's been replaced?

Had a leak in one of mine on the front of the block, so removed the old one and fitted a new one with blue hylomar sealant. Just ran it up to temperature and there's a small puddle below that area and if I watch it moisture appears to continually evaporate from that area and a drip appeared on the edge of the core plug..

:mad:

mowgli
27-02-11, 06:00 PM
sounds odd, but i didn't think you used sealant on coreplugs, but made an interference fit with a hammer.....its been an awfully long time since i had anything to do with core plugs, but i don't remember using sealant..

you could get a bars 'dog sh!t' radiator leak fix bar, and drop it into the expansion bottle..

Iain
27-02-11, 06:03 PM
I don't think they have sealant on as standard but I hoped it would fill any imperfetions and help seal better. Rather not clog up the rest of the system with stop-leak type products :(

mowgli
27-02-11, 06:04 PM
the bars stuff has small particles that actually fill up any holes... every single jag engine up till about 1998 had one as standard....

Edd
27-02-11, 06:09 PM
Had a similar problem on my old SR about 15 years ago, iirc I had to get the block machined and a slightly bigger core plug fitted

Is the sealant you used some sort of instant gasket sealent ? Like the stuff you would use to join a smallblock cam housing to the head, ad thats what I would of used to try and seal it up

Andy
27-02-11, 06:12 PM
For fukks sake dont use any type of radweld/bars leak stop unless its an absolute emergency!!
It will clog up your radiator and heater matrix after a while.Its just sh1t
Did the core plug seem to go in fairly easily?

Iain
27-02-11, 06:16 PM
I used hylomar blue after several recommendations & web research.

I've never done one before so I'm not sure how easily it is supposed to go in, needed a fair bit of hammering but that is to be expected with an interference fit?

Royston
27-02-11, 06:17 PM
Is is a cup type (I suspect so) would look at having another go and replace it again, as Andy asked, did it go in easy (should be a reasonable interference fit), or did you damage the seat when you removed the old one?

If it is a domed type, tap the centre a little harder to expand it a little more?

Wouldn't expect blue hylomar to hurt

Iain
27-02-11, 06:20 PM
I don't recall any damage but can't be 100% a screwdriver didn't mark it.

It's a standard XE plug, is that a cup type?

General Baxter
27-02-11, 06:22 PM
For fukks sake dont use any type of radweld/bars leak stop unless its an absolute emergency!!
It will clog up your radiator and heater matrix after a while.Its just sh1t
Did the core plug seem to go in fairly easily?
tell that to the volvo trucks at work that do 1million km a year, that have them in lol

mowgli
27-02-11, 06:31 PM
agreed nick... people don't realise that a lot of manufacturers 'coolant' contains small particles to deliberately clog up the leaks...

General Baxter
27-02-11, 06:32 PM
agreed nick... people don't realise that a lot of manufacturers 'coolant' contains small particles to deliberately clog up the leaks...

we have shelfs of the stuff lol

Iain
27-02-11, 06:37 PM
Is this the stuff you're talking about?

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_20 8015_langId_-1_categoryId_165750

General Baxter
27-02-11, 06:47 PM
thats kinda it, we use the **** sticks at work

Iain
27-02-11, 06:49 PM
Link please I'm struggling

General Baxter
27-02-11, 06:51 PM
http://www.jdmperformance.co.uk/item_detail.php?prodID=59442

Iain
28-02-11, 11:36 AM
Cheers Baxter. I plan to try replacing the core plug once more using some good sealant/adhesive before I resort to additives

Iain
28-02-11, 07:12 PM
Core plug out, block doesn't look in fantastic condition, I plan to tigerseal a new one in lol