PDA

View Full Version : LET bollox

Mike
27-02-11, 10:53 AM
Been looking at a few LET engines recently & not discounted it as a route I could take with the Corsa. A standard LET on 6 speed is near enough the same price as the XE on TB's I was going to build/use anyway, just the XE would/could end up considerably shorter on hp.

But how well do they (LET's) cope with nitrous oxide? Are the standard pistons pup?

And all this chipset cack, the Regal site is very vague on the EDS side & everything seems to be the same price but different power :confused: And turbo's, whats the deal with all the different ones people use (old Mitis Evo ones, hybrids blah blah)

All I want to do is go pretty damn fast in a straight line as the rest is covered.

Rickardo
27-02-11, 10:57 AM
Standard let,standard turbo. Fmic and a stage 1 eds.

245 bhp.

:)

Mike
27-02-11, 10:58 AM
Thats XE power for similiar outright cash though (IMO)

Ideally Id want in the realms of 300ish with similiar torque before any gas is used though?

Rickardo
27-02-11, 11:00 AM
Imo i think 300 bhp is pointless in a small car, ie Nove or Corsa.

Is it gonna be used as a daily or a toy?

If it was my cash, i'd get the let if it was gonna be used regularly, but do the high power xe if its a plaything.

Mike
27-02-11, 11:02 AM
Imo i think 300 bhp is pointless in a samll car, ie Nove or Corsa.

Is it gonna be used as a daily or a toy?

If it was my cash, i'd get the let if it was gonna be used regularly, but do the high power xe if its a plaything.

TBH it'll probably do less then 200 mile a year on public roads. Its just for drag racing & hillclimbing really, cure the big gaping hole in my life that my old rally car used to plug lol

Rickardo
27-02-11, 11:07 AM
In that case i'd do the big power Xe route.

Speak to Gareth Colley, he has big power from his.

MK999
27-02-11, 11:09 AM
Hillclimbing with a LET will most likely put you into top categories too, where an XE might not. All well and good if you can cope with properly prepped cars with 10-11k RPM Judd V8's? lol

Mike
27-02-11, 11:13 AM
Not really competitive as such Mark, mainly for the craic. A LET would class me in with most of the big boy's though I think. Not that it would bother me anyway.

Adam
27-02-11, 11:25 AM
Theres been plenty of LETs on ph2/evo 5 that have run gas without problems.

MK999
27-02-11, 11:41 AM
Not really competitive as such Mark, mainly for the craic. A LET would class me in with most of the big boy's though I think. Not that it would bother me anyway.

That's how it always starts though lol

mowgli
27-02-11, 11:51 AM
mike, have you measured up the saab engine? would it fit the corsa bay?

peester
27-02-11, 11:56 AM
ide suggest maybe buying a high spec xe used off the likes of colinsmith, other rally-ers. Then spend few quid replenishing it..?

nova_stee
27-02-11, 05:26 PM
Phase 3, xe inlet, ported polished head, arps, 3 inch exhaust, hybrid kkk16, 305bhp and took 100 shot up the **** alot and loved it as long as you use a controler so it feeds the gas in and doesnt just drop it right in it will be fine because its not a massive shock to the rods.

Mieran
27-02-11, 05:39 PM
From what I've seen you need the following to achieve 300BHP:

- EDS ph3 (or evo5 or whatever they're called)
- Decent size intercooler
- FPR
- Spark plugs to match
- 3" exhaust system
- XE inlet cam
- Good actuator
- ARP flywheel and rod bolts advised
- I would get steel rods too

Apparently k16 doesn't last very long at that sort of power either

nova_stee
27-02-11, 05:45 PM
From what I've seen you need the following to achieve 300BHP:

- EDS ph3 (or evo5 or whatever they're called)
- Decent size intercooler
- FPR
- Spark plugs to match
- 3" exhaust system
- XE inlet cam
- Good actuator
- ARP flywheel and rod bolts advised
- I would get steel rods too

Apparently k16 doesn't last very long at that sort of power either
Thats pritty much my spec apart from i had head work aswell

Paul
27-02-11, 06:51 PM
Buy my engine lol

Rick Draper
27-02-11, 08:19 PM
Standard pistons are very good. Sutton ran them at 500+ bhp.