PDA

View Full Version : Is my car ill?

AW3K
14-06-03, 09:33 PM
reight i replaced the ignition lock/ barrel yesterday as a complete lock set .

the thing is tonight i came out from work and looked through the window and notice all the lights on the dash are on as if the key was in and turned to position 1.

so i gets in and tugs the stearing wheel , the stearing lock engages and the lights go off.

WTF i thought and wanna know if any body knows whats wrong.

the lights were off when i parked up at work so how they came on i dunno.

Please help.

AW3K

RobHardyUK
15-06-03, 04:56 AM
shorting wire?

jatinder
15-06-03, 09:57 AM
Ghosts WOooooooooooooooooooooo :D

ade
16-06-03, 10:39 AM
sounds like youve wired up the ignition barrel wrong - failing that the barrel youve been given is incorrect - or one of the wires was catching on the locking mechanism.

Dismantle - check and start again...

AW3K
16-06-03, 07:54 PM
All i replaced was the lock nothing else.

The old lock i took out had an extra curved bit of metelon the bottom which the new one didn't

AW3K

AW3K
16-06-03, 10:28 PM
it's done it again, looked in the car wen i went out on foot to shop. came back and it was on, this time i noticed that the fuel n temp gauges were active aswell.

i'm gunna check the wires in the morning.

oddddd

AW3K

mikeoxford
17-06-03, 12:08 PM
mk1 or mk2?

its a long shot but if its a mk2 perhaps your hazardswitch is broke or something and youve never realised it before? complete longshot but thats what happens if you turn the hazard switch upside down

AW3K
17-06-03, 06:15 PM
Just replaced the hazzard switch cost a fiver from the local scrappers.

So far it hasn't done it yet. fingers crossed :)

the old one was broken after further inspection. it didn't latch and i used to have to hit it with some force to make it stay in.

AW3K

Dicko
17-06-03, 06:27 PM
lol take the springs out much beter :D

AW3K
25-06-03, 07:52 PM
It did it again!

but today i got very worried as i turned the engine off (i thought) and took the key out but the engine was still running, puts key back in turns it on and off takes key out still the engine runs.

Luckally i have a kill switch thank god!

went back to nomal then.

I presses the left side coloum trim and lights come on, puch the right side and they go off, hmmmmm odd. after closer inspection of the ignition switch, all the bottom was loose and the hole for the lock was mangled!

?5 later for a new switch and all appers to be well.

hope it dun do it again.

AW3K

mikeoxford
25-06-03, 11:43 PM
ur car been knicked before???

AW3K
25-06-03, 11:52 PM
ur car been knicked before???

Not while i've had it,

one of the reasons why i replaced the locks as a set was that the drivers lock was jimmied, ie the key hole was massive, and the ignition barrel the plastic trim with the 1 2 3 on was deformed. oh and there was a rover radio in it when i got it.

AW3K

AW3K
26-06-03, 11:46 PM
Oh now am slightly pissed off but releaved,

After buying a new ignition switch and hazzard switch and it still doing it,

I decided to tug on the wires as you do and what you know it comes on! push wires back and it goes off.

so i remove the fusebox, checks all connectors, fuses, and relays. all fine.

Now this is where it gets shocking!! :lol:

looking up at the dash from under it. pulls down on the loom and the lights come on!

sees a arcing (flash) on the back of the dials!

removes dash and sees that a live line in the loom is impailed on the threaded bit that sticks out on the fuel gauge!!!!!!!

it took 3 hours to insulate the wire, many other wires and tape the loom back up, and tie wrap it way back out of the way.

All sorted now (i hope) yet again

AW3K