PDA

View Full Version : 8v vernier pulley settings

tommy8252
26-02-11, 02:45 PM
Just put a vernier pulley on my car and just wondering what is best to set it at for now as with it on its standard adjustment of zero advance or retard its pinking. Thought I might have mistimed it but after rechecking all marks everything lines up. Just want to set it up roughly till I can get it to someone to set it up properly. Full engine spec is e16se, port polished head, Kent nvo62 high lift cam, full powerflow decated exhaust. And obviously the vernier pulley. And dizzy is aligned with the g on the cam housing and if I advance/retard it it doesn't stop the pinking.

Royston
26-02-11, 03:16 PM
I would set it up on the pulley at zero deg.

Then look at the dissy settings, if it is pinkinf it is too far advanced.

Normally set the cam using a dti and clock it in, using the adjustment on the pulley to compensate for inaccurate factory settings/ and when tuning

tommy8252
26-02-11, 03:55 PM
Well at the moment the pulley is set to zero and retarding the dizzy kills the engine and advancing it worsens the pinking. Thought if maybe I retarded the vernier by a degree or 2 that would stop the pinking and the ignition timing on the dizzy would keep the engine running?

Stuart
26-02-11, 05:04 PM
note the vernier markings tend to be utter dog turd....

When 'setting up' Dans old 1.6 8v engine the pulley was always on 'zero' :)

tommy8252
26-02-11, 06:24 PM
Ah right well in that case even with the vernier at 0 it sounds like its to far advanced and needs to be retarded then? May try that tomorrow. Like I say don't want to risk taking it anywhere with it pinking so just to have it running enough to get it to someone who can set it up properly would be nice.

Stuart
26-02-11, 06:29 PM
Take a std pulley and line up the pin and a timing mark... Done.

tommy8252
27-02-11, 10:17 AM
All done retarded the vernier by 3 degrees and advanced the dizzy slightly and running sweet now cheers for help guys