PDA

View Full Version : emergency steering rack issue!!!!

mr5050
25-02-11, 11:27 AM
moving my novas to a new unit today, last night when i started to get my bare shell rolling,i put all the front setup on, put a quick rack in i had lying around which i took out of a rally preped nova, and when i put the wheels on there not turning at the same angle, if i point the front passenger wheel to 12 o'clock the drivers wheel will be pointing to 2 o'clock? cant see whats gone wrong here as i took it of another nova a couple of days ago and that was steering fine. i thing i have noticed is that the rack appears to have been widened to accomadate the wheel spacers i assume, plus the whishbones have been extended like 50mm. but that shouldnt matter because all the parts where taken from the rally nova?? confused:confused:

Iain
25-02-11, 11:29 AM
If pass. wheel is at 12, and drivers at 2, that means there's a large amount of toe out? i.e. the rack is too short?

Wheel spacers would not require the rack being extended but if the hubs have been moved out they would

mr5050
25-02-11, 11:47 AM
what i dont understand is the whole setup came of a perfectly steering/rolling nova, should have been a simple swap? ive got another rack just perplexed as to why this is not working wright, could there have been some modifications done to the rally shell to cause this? unfortunately ive sold it so cant have a look.

nova_saloon
25-02-11, 12:15 PM
any modification to it will effect it, if it had crossmember strengthening plates on where the tie rods mount to the crossmemeber that will put the tacking toe out by a couple of mm each side same for if they had been lengthened for a wider car. but usually a straight swap would be fine-ish, because every car is slightly diffferent thats why you have so much adjustment to be done to the steering rack. unfortunatly its going to have to be a whack it back together and have the trackign sorted

therealnovaboy
25-02-11, 12:56 PM
Check that the track rod ends are the same on each nova. Corsa track rod ends are shorter by about 5mm each iirc but are compatable with novas.

Just a thought.

MK999
25-02-11, 01:17 PM
Is the new shell running lower than the old one?

mr5050
25-02-11, 05:27 PM
all is well! sorted the problem, i just lined the wheels up and adjusted the track rod ends to suit. quite simple really. thanks for your helpful comments lads