PDA

View Full Version : Oil breather leaking oil - revisitted...

ade
14-06-03, 11:31 AM
Speaking to a guy in my local Pistons and Components shop - explained the situation (see other post) - ref oil leaking out my oil breather pipe and a large rate of knots and he advised look for the following -

His thought was piston rings (common on Vauxhalls on a certain age). he advised start car up from and watch for smoke - this is burnt when engine is cold as oil can get past the worn rings

Then as car warms up the smoke will stop - this is due to the rings expanding, sealing the gaps.

However this builds up pressure in the engine - so when engine warm, try and take off the rocker filler cap.

If it doenst come off "normally" (due to build up of pressure) then the rings are worn. If it comes off ok then its something else. He didnt know what though.

Not ran the car for 2 weeks so gonna do for a wee drive and see what happens.

Just hope the battery aint dead!

*also out of curiosity - is it complex to change rings? best left to a garage...

:roll:

ade
14-06-03, 01:31 PM
right - topped up engine with oil - ewasnt that low - kind of mid wayish - its been standing for 2 weeks so levels are about as right as they'll ever be.

Looked under car and theres a line of oil right along the drivers side - all the way to the back along the chassis where its been blown by the breather pipe (aimed at the road) and then dripped when I stopped

Started it - oil light came on and stayed on for a bit, then went off.

Stopped car, checked levels again after a minute or so and added a bit more.

Started it - oil light came on but stayed on. left car for 5 mins ticking over - gave it the occasional rev (nowt too strong - just a touch) and light stayed on.

Started to notice a little smoke also water coming out or exhaust - when revved it sprayed the road a little - figure it could be condensation due to it not being used much recently (water levels are fine and compression test done recently so heads ok).

So - if theres enough water in engine must either be blocked oil filter, knackered oil pump or dodgy oil presure sender.

Figure I'll change sender and filter 1st.

So - wheres the oil pressure sender - or is it an oil presure vregulator alve (if ref 11 and 1.20 in haynes it makes reference to this) -

Would this pressure regulator set off the light and if so is there a wire attached to it? Possibly come off or shorting out with all the oil under me car???

Ade

rhumphris
15-06-03, 09:47 PM
when my oil pressure sender went, the inside seal on the sender had cracked, leaked enough oil to get me worried though. If the connection to the sender is disconnected the oil warning light will not come on at all, if the wire is shorted out to ground the light will stay on.
(at least that was what happened on my car previous owned had bodged it with PTFE tape)

jatinder
16-06-03, 09:22 AM
Try and clean the oil pickup pipe in the sump if you can it can get blocked up its a pick of a job because your removing the sump, but it should help