PDA

View Full Version : *HELP* Blue smoke!!!

Fergie_sfc
14-06-03, 10:46 AM
when my cars been un-used for bout 9 hours (every morning) i have to rev it lots caus its got a crap misfire so i have to rev it to get it going!!!
when i do rev it, the first couple of revs bring blue smoke outta the exhaust,not thick but its definetly blue!!!
been told its an oil problem, anyone got any advice on wot to do,its only a 1.0L,do you reckomend a new engine or what?
fergie.

Tilly
14-06-03, 11:27 AM
burning oil?

Rusty 16v
14-06-03, 11:38 AM
Valve stem seals I would have thought.

ade
14-06-03, 11:47 AM
aye - that or piston rings - summut in the engine causing oil to burn.

Does it go away after its warmed up?

TBH get new engine - 1.2 or bugger - cheaper than fixing the prob - unless you "know a man"

Ade

Fergie_sfc
14-06-03, 01:21 PM
yeah, it goes away when its warmed up.
also got a real bad misfire,wel think its a misfire anyway, when i pull off it dont seem to wanna go anywhere and when i change gear when its warm it splutters real bad like its runnin outta petrol, anyone got any advice, the spark leads are gettin blue powder on the end of them,when i rub it off it works alrite.
anyone going to PV wanna have a look at it for me?
fergie.

Aragorn
17-06-03, 08:38 PM
sounds like exactly what mine does

try this...

start it up, give it some choke and leave it idling for about 5 mins

after this give it a few good revs - do u get clouds of smoke ???

this is what mine does - and i think its the valve stem seals although they were done in 1998 according to the service history

Nova-Boy
17-06-03, 09:15 PM
When my old nova needed the valve stems doing it did it all the time when you put your foot down. Does it puff smoke when you boot it in second for instance? Deffo sounds like stem seals of piston rings. Get a 1.3sr or bigger engine in it.