PDA

View Full Version : electric arial

Gazza14SR
14-06-03, 02:33 AM
since i have changed my cassette player for a cd player the arial built in the wing doesnt come up.
It is plugged in the back of the headunit, is there something else i should check?

thanks

Gaz

epo
14-06-03, 07:32 AM
id do a check 2 see if theres power going from the head unit 2 the motor also check if the motors not knackered by just puttin a perminant feed 2 the motor make sure it goes up and down
and ur head unit does it deffo have a wire 4 the electric arial

RobHardyUK
15-06-03, 05:04 AM
mine dont go up anyways? never knew they were automatic.

epo
15-06-03, 07:57 AM
mines not electric either just thought hed maybe fitted 1 off a cav

Gazza14SR
15-06-03, 01:20 PM
Yeh, when i used to have my cassette player and the ariel worked it went up higher than the car itself! I'll have a play with it, c if i can do owt.
Where abouts is the motor for the arial?

Thanks

epo
15-06-03, 01:42 PM
i wud have thought itll be near the actual arial 2 drive it up and down like but other than that not 2 sure

jatinder
15-06-03, 04:36 PM
it neede an extra wire tfrom the headunit to the ariel to power it have a look at all the pare wires you have

mikeoxford
19-06-03, 12:02 AM
probly blue?

Gazza14SR
19-06-03, 12:08 AM
Earlier on I had a look at the back off my headunit and had a green wire hanging there, theres no other green wire to attach it to, i cant understand where its come from.

Could this be to do with the ariel?

epo
19-06-03, 05:45 PM
cud be or it cud be ur illumination wire?

Gazza14SR
20-06-03, 02:13 PM
the wire that goes to the ariel is green for certain, I followed it all the way. Does anyone know where this plugs into the back of the headunit?

Thanks

Alex
20-06-03, 02:46 PM
it would work with the blue wire, which is live when the radio is turned on

Nova-Boy
20-06-03, 03:56 PM
The motor will be in the wing under your ariel. Your cassette player might have had a remote for an amp and another remote that only was live when you radio was on. You could wire it up to the blue amp remote wire but the ariel would go up whenever you turned the head unit on.

Your green wire could be the one thats only live when the radio is selected. Give it a try with a volt meter and see if it is live when you select the radio.

I thought the green was the illumination but in all the cars i have ever wired i haven't needed to wire it.

I think it is supposed to turn the lights on the head unit on when you turn the car lights on. Most head units light up anyway so its not needed.

Just do it to the amp remote and if you have an amp then just re crimp it with two wires into one cripm (or get a propper y splitter crimp)

Gazza14SR
20-06-03, 07:02 PM
i have followed the wires from the ariel and this is how it looks:

I have a blue wire from the ariel to the positive of the battery, with a 10a fuse in it.

There is a green wire which goes from the ariel to the headunit that is not connected to nothing at the minute. I tried to connect this to the remote wire of the amp but it did not come up.

Also I have changed the fuse in the blue wire but there is nothing

Also as well as the remote cable at the back of the headunit there was a lighter blue wire with nothing to it, i connected the green and blue together and on the front of the headunit it said ATT-ON. Any ideas?

Thanks

moffat sri
24-06-03, 06:22 PM
The lighter blue wire will be for wiring in a hands free kit for a phone. It will auto maticaly ATT your stereo so you can here the hands free kit.
I used to have a J reg 14sr and 2 days after i bought it (with no headunit in) i bought a new headunit and when i came to fit it, it just plugged straight into the connector on the nova loom(which was a suprise, i thought i'd have to butcher the wires). Anyway, when i turned the headunit on i was supprised to see that it had an electric ariel. i presumed this must of been standard with it being wired into the multiplug already, altough i didn't know of any other sr's with 'leccy ariels.
mine too reached way up above the hieght of the car. used to get china fm and all sorts.
I always planned to run it from the remote for the amp but split it with a switch so you can control the ariel manualy. this way you can have it up when listening to the radio, and down when listening to a cd.

Gazza14SR
24-06-03, 06:47 PM
the thing is though i only have one wire. (the green one) how do i get to where the motor of the ariel is cuz i wanna check the rest of the wiring but its like 'inside' the wing if you know what i mean.

Thanks

moffat sri
02-07-03, 08:26 PM
you only have the green wire, so you mustn't have a remote? i can only sugest to run it from the ignition, through a switch if you dont want it up all the time when driving.
About where the motor is, the wing will have to come off.