PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox clean up

abznovasport
21-02-11, 03:27 AM
Hi,

Was just looking for ideas on what I should re-new on my gear box before putting back into car. My knowledge on gearboxs is very little!

I figured driveshaft seals and perhaps a clutch release bearing should be changed but is there anything else worth doing??

Cheers
Ian

vauxluva
21-02-11, 04:02 AM
Maybee change the gear box oil but i have never had to do it?> ,maybee a new gear linkage should tidy up the changes.

Damo
21-02-11, 05:10 PM
Change the seals mate the box oil an a general jet wash a clutch kit should be fitted unless you know yours is good.

mk1nova_rich
21-02-11, 06:07 PM
Depends how much you are willing to spend. If its going to be a "money no object" restoration then I would remove the internals, get the casing soda/bead blasted then refit the internals with complete new bearings and seals. Then you can also fit your ideal gearset and final drive :thumb:

abznovasport
21-02-11, 11:39 PM
Hey thanks for the reply's.

I don't mind spending a bit of money on the project but taking gearbox's to bit sounds a bit too much for me!! I have cleaned it up and was thinking about giving it a lick of paint or laquer but wasn't sure what paint/laquer to use.

As for the the clutch i will be buying a new one as the clutch and gearbox is in an unknown condition to me. I think I'l need to have a look at the manual when home and see how easy some seals are to change, lay shaft seal etc.

Ian

Novasport
21-02-11, 11:52 PM
It will be an F10WR(Wide ratio) box you have. Not the best box/ratios to have.
When I was building my Sport I was going to use an F13CR gear set with a 4.18:1 final drive. Much better ratios.
You could put that cluster in an F10 casing for originality.
Would put it in my new Sport but it already has a Hockley SCCR gear set :)

Edd
22-02-11, 12:00 AM
I cleaned mine with degreaser then thinners

Etch primmed it, the painted it in Hammerite smooth finish silver

Had the end plate, clutch cover and diff cover powdercoated black as well

Looks the business IMO for not much outlay

Going to do it to another F13 once the 1300 turbo lump is ready to fit lol

auzzy-b
22-02-11, 10:51 PM
New gaskets if you know of any kind of leaks previously..
New cv seals, turret top seal, release arm seal and thrust bearing should do it:)use plenty of copper grease for this.

abznovasport
23-02-11, 12:30 AM
Hey thanks for all the replies!

Amazed at the apperance of your gearbox just from hammerite!! Very impressive.

I really don't think I'l manage to change clusters and fiddly gearbox bits. Just got visions of it never going back together again. The seals you mntion though auzzy-b i could look into.

Thanks again for the advice everyone.
Cheers
Ian

abznovasport
23-02-11, 12:35 AM
Hey thanks for all the replies!

Amazed at the apperance of your gearbox just from hammerite!! Very impressive.

I really don't think I'l manage to change clusters and fiddly gearbox bits. Just got visions of it never going back together again. The seals you mntion though auzzy-b i could look into.

Thanks again for the advice everyone.
Cheers
Ian

conrad23
24-02-11, 05:05 AM
you can get new gaskets and seals of Ebay for £18
Item number: 110572495687