PDA

View Full Version : MOT Problems!

Adam Moran
13-06-03, 06:06 PM
Need ur help with this one! :?

I've got a K(93) with a GSI engine in out of a J(91).

The MOT place said it's needs to have a CAT on but i thought if the engine is pre Aug 92 is dosnt need one?? He also said that my engine was a c16xx ?? I thought it was a E16xx.

How can i get round this? Apart from going to another place!!

Cheers

Ad

- oh 14 days on the re-test!

Aragorn
13-06-03, 06:13 PM
look on the block too see if it really is a c16se

if so there aint much u can do

u prolly find its an e16se if its from a 91 car tho

just point out the enigne code and it should be ok

ade
14-06-03, 11:36 AM
and what if like me you aint got an engine code???

I have what looks like a C followed by a series of large stamped numbers?

Do all MOT stations check for the engine number?

Ade

jatinder
14-06-03, 11:52 AM
if it turns out you need a cat ive got one if you want it

Ste_Nova
14-06-03, 01:17 PM
just take it somewhere else... my k reg passed with no cat and holes in the exhaust

techie
14-06-03, 01:56 PM
Ive got a 1993 K plate GSi with a CAT (C16SE engine)

And im putting my rebuilt E16SE engine in it (No CAT)

It will pass the MOT as the tester will check the engine number (take log book with you if cant see the engine number clearly) and see that the E16SE engine doesnt come with a CAT and will therefore only require a normal emissions test.

This is all above board and perfectly legal I have checked with our MOT station. E16SE engines were availible on K plate GSi's anyhow, they were just older stock. Just make sure you change the engine number on the log book.

RobHardyUK
14-06-03, 02:03 PM
regardless of the engine, you will need a cat surely? Its all to do with when it is registered? A law is a law. but i bet there will be another MOT centre who will pass it.

techie
14-06-03, 02:42 PM
Nope its to do with the engine in the vehicle.

Anyhow like I said Vauxhall made K plate Nova GSi's with the E16SE engine with no CAT. Howell Jones's red GSi (god rest its soul) was a perfect example, K plate, no CAT past MOT no problems.

One of our customers has a P-Plate SEAT Ibiza fitted with a pre 93 engine with twin webbers on it, no way can a CAT be fitted to that, psses MOT fine because the engine number relates to a car that was pre CAT.

Get them to check the MOT regs. I used to do MOT's trust me.

Ste_Nova
14-06-03, 04:07 PM
did he check the engine number?