PDA

View Full Version : C20XE battery cca's

Mike
19-02-11, 10:31 PM
Looking at Odyssey dry cell batterys, the "Racing 22" rated at 265 cca @ -18c max, should surely be enough to crank a 20XE motor with next to no other electrical circuits (aircraft type vehicle loom with delete option everything!)

Daft qeustion time for anyone that can even remember or knows lol but on the off chance does any at all happen to know the recommened battery for a standard 20XE Cav, Astra or Calibra etc??

MARTIN KELSON
19-02-11, 10:41 PM
I use the Odyssey 'Racing 30' & can recomend that one highly.

Think a std XE uses a 069 battery.

Mike
19-02-11, 10:47 PM
Im also looking at PowerVamp RedTop 25's. Surely 680amps is more then enough lol an then 220 thereafter if still not started?

Specification:
- Maintenance free
- 12 volt
- 18 amp/hour capacity @ C20 rate
- 1800 peak amps
- 680 amps cranking current for 5 seconds (enough to start our 4.5L TVR Tuscan Challenge Car !)
- 220 amps CCA 30 seconds to 7.2v @ - 18c
- Reserve capacity 28 minutes @ 25 amps to 10.5v
- Dimensions; length 182mm, width 77mm, height 168mm
- Weight 6.1Kg
- Terminals M6 female
- Operating temp range - 40c to + 45c

EDIT: Google says 069 batterys are 570cca!!

MARTIN KELSON
19-02-11, 10:53 PM
When i was looking into buying mine i was told there all made by the same people, Odyssey, PowerVamp, Varley etc, just differently branded & marketed.

Must say they do all look the same :)

Mike
19-02-11, 10:55 PM
Yeah they are Martin, the PowerVamp ones are significantly cheaper then both Odyssey & Varley equivilants.

Just dont want to shell out a small wedge of pound notes on a battery to find out it cant turnover an XE lol lol

C612DNM
20-02-11, 08:44 PM
A REDTOP25 should be enough, but just to help it when you have a stone cold motor, fit a good sized "Anderson" connector to the car (either under the bonnet, or accessible via the front grille), so you can plug a jump battery into it easily.

MK999
20-02-11, 08:55 PM
And the CCA is what it can amp at a certain temp mike, -18 I think you mentioned above, as batteries dont work so well when cold, and much like a drop test it can have a billion amps when warm but doesn't mean it will start your engine at -10.

Mike
20-02-11, 09:26 PM
Good idea Re Anderson plug, Ive got a couple knocking around so should save me forking out for one :)

I dont need to worry to much about the cold crank amps really Mark as Ill only be using it in the summer. The battery will live indoors over the winter anyway. Its just the initial cranking amps I was more worried about, dont want to buy a battery that underpowered like.

MK999
20-02-11, 11:13 PM
Good idea Re Anderson plug, Ive got a couple knocking around so should save me forking out for one :)

I dont need to worry to much about the cold crank amps really Mark as Ill only be using it in the summer. The battery will live indoors over the winter anyway. Its just the initial cranking amps I was more worried about, dont want to buy a battery that underpowered like.

CCA is the best measure of that, the maximum amps they can go bodge tastic on.