PDA

View Full Version : Why do people fit discs on the back of Novas?

novarally
17-02-11, 08:23 PM
I've never understood the fascination, putting big rear discs from an Astra/Cavalier on the back.

I've just bought a very nice Nova rally car, fitted with Astra 2.0 solid rear discs and calipers, and have spent the last day or more messing about with master cylinder size and the balance bar on the bias pedal box trying to stop it locking up at the back

There's no pressure reduction valve on the rear circuit (big mistake), but rather than fit one I'm inclined to just bolt a drum brake axle back onto it.

Novas do not need rear discs.

That is all.

Edd
17-02-11, 08:26 PM
Totally agree, pointless

More hassel than it's worth

Some people do it for looks, personally I prefer drums

Nobby
17-02-11, 08:27 PM
yup my old xe did this i dont see how you can beat the surface area of the 2 shoes onto the drum than a poxy 3inch set of pads?

Gaz1300SR
17-02-11, 08:27 PM
...... maybe I won't bother with read discs then

Benn
17-02-11, 08:41 PM
Its just just for looks really.

Only reason i did it on mine. Altho i've never had them lock up.

bmw156
17-02-11, 08:52 PM
if you run a bias valve - or the correct reducers on the normal MC then it should be fine...

but yes. i would say its for looks.

mowgli
17-02-11, 08:54 PM
i think it was largely down to hydraulic fly off handbrakes on the works GTE rally car...and Mr metcalfes left foot braking antics during development.. but the road cars are usually overtyred, and really don't need them... maybe cutting the pads down would help......

Pistol Pete
17-02-11, 09:09 PM
lol

I have rear discs on mine. TBH i did my beam years ago, wasnt that clued up on Novas so probably seemed like a good idea at the time. Having not driven it yet, i cant comment on what it is like to drive.

Will find out soon enough.

Mieran
17-02-11, 09:11 PM
Its usually "omg, ive got a 2.0 so I need rear disk setup"

novarally
17-02-11, 09:36 PM
lol

I have rear discs on mine. TBH i did my beam years ago, wasnt that clued up on Novas so probably seemed like a good idea at the time. Having not driven it yet, i cant comment on what it is like to drive.

Will find out soon enough.

Just make sure you've got plenty of room for it to get sideways when you hit the brakes hard........

db_1.2
17-02-11, 09:37 PM
I agree with Benn. Looks badass!

Pistol Pete
17-02-11, 09:38 PM
TBH i havent ever seen anyone losing it. Been to many Castle Coomb days, never seen anyone lose it. Lots of talk on forums "really ****e, lock up etc.." Maybe those that do are **** drivers and just on their brakes?

MK999
17-02-11, 09:52 PM
TBH i havent ever seen anyone losing it. Been to many Castle Coomb days, never seen anyone lose it. Lots of talk on forums "really ****e, lock up etc.." Maybe those that do are **** drivers and just on their brakes?

A crap driver will have more load on the rear, reducing the braking effort, than a good driver due to the load transfer tbh.

And as said, a looks thing nowadays really, considered doing it on the derv daily machine, but not worth the cost involved tbh lol

AlexW
17-02-11, 10:16 PM
With a lowered corsa (they have adjustable rear brakes, done via the weight), I got the rear end to slide out by accident when braking hard, Rears just locked up. Having the rear brakes like that made the pedal feel **** and also felt like you was pulling the handbrake up when you braked slightly hard.

I don't think discs are needed on the back of novas, Most novas that have it dont have any weight over the rear anyway!

I think some people think that its better to have something that is working at like half of its full potential than drums which are being pushed to there limits.

Although to be fair, I saw some drum shoes that had fallen apart after a trackday (Nic barnes corsa for anybody that knows it)

MK999
17-02-11, 10:23 PM
I've seen plenty of disc pads that have melted/disintegrated on track days, doesn't mean we should go drums up front lol

AlexW
17-02-11, 10:27 PM
No I am aware of that, But the point was you can get decent rear pads, same as you can for the front so you don't get pads falling apart.

MK999
17-02-11, 10:29 PM
Or just get half decent quality (i.e reputable motor factor OEM quality) drum shoes, as they will see far far less braking effort than the front, and set your drums up properly! They will have been used on the hydraulic handbrake rally novas for bite, built to do exactly what Colin is trying to avoid atm lol

Mike
17-02-11, 10:40 PM
Corsa with rear disc's never seem to suffer from rear lock up like Nova's allegedly do though?

mk1nova_rich
17-02-11, 10:43 PM
If you want to you can get the back end of a standard Corsa/Nova out quite easily, so no need for discs in any application IMO, just well serviced rear drums

Mike
17-02-11, 10:44 PM
If you want to you can get the back end of a standard Corsa/Nova out quite easily, so no need for discs in any application IMO, just well serviced rear drums

You can do that in any FWD car, serviced handbrake or not lol

General Baxter
17-02-11, 10:46 PM
they look god damn sexy,
but a bitch to fit, mine never locked up, as i made my own adjusters :p

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a191/baxters83/Nova%205%20door/SDC10312.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a191/baxters83/Nova%205%20door/SDC10306.jpg

mk1nova_rich
17-02-11, 10:46 PM
I wasn't on about using the handbrake :p

General Baxter
17-02-11, 10:48 PM
seeing them photos wants me to buy another lol

god damn it

Mike
17-02-11, 10:52 PM
Pic whore time is it??

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j181/mikenova/The%20knacker/IMG00065-1.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j181/mikenova/The%20knacker/IMG00066.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j181/mikenova/The%20knacker/IMG00067-1.jpg

Southie
17-02-11, 11:09 PM
16xe_Chris had a rear disc setup on his old rally car and he was running sr discs on the rear, took a little setting up at first but he was running a bias setup so was easier to get right, wow though could that thing had brake but maybe too much on one occasion I think :eek:

http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p379/SOUTHIE01/North%20West%20stages%205th%206th%20Feb%202010%20c ar%2085/eb3c273b.jpg

C612DNM
17-02-11, 11:20 PM
Having tried, and ditched rear discs on my GTE/GSi race car, purely for two reasons - locking up, and pedal.

The rules of the old Super Road Saloon series meant that I couldn't change to a bias setup, and no matter what restrictors I tried, I couldn't stop it from locking. And I was using Cavalier GSi fronts with grippy pads on 195/50x15 shaved Toyo's.

After many long chats with Bill Blydenstein, I came to agree with him about the need for rear brakes (or the lack of!). On the production saloons they had Ferodo make up some shoes with their hardest material (same as the DS11 in those days) which just wouldn't get hot and gave not a lot of braking at the rear, but a good pedal feel, and that's what you need on the circuit more than you do on the loose.

On gravel it's going to lock, and driver talent keeps it going in the direction you want it to, on tarmac you need balance and consistent bite.

I have no doubt that a well worked out four disc setup will work, but the standard master cylinder and diagonal split setup won't help you. You need to go front/rear split with a bias pedal box, and an additional pressure restrictor in the rear line - one that you can adjust to suit the temperature and bite of the rear pads. Also, get the hardest pads you can get for the rear, and run plenty of cooling on them. You don't want them getting hot, because they'll get all "bitey" and that'll be your **** that gets bit when they do!

Yes, discs at the rear do look prettier, but we're talking cars here, so it's BOBFOC syndrome we're looking for - you want Shagnasty brakes, not Keira Knightly brakes. It doesn't matter what they look like, just so long as they do the business!

L14MNP
18-02-11, 12:07 AM
Looks. On the right car drums look er wrong. lol

bazil
18-02-11, 12:38 AM
I was shoite at adjusting my rear brake shoes so fitted discs, and still failed to set up the handbrake shoes lol

I must say that running the bias box and rear discs was good and lock up wasn't a problem.

db_1.2
18-02-11, 09:26 AM
Its a shame all rear disks dont use a setup similar to mk3/4 Golf. The handbrake is self adjusting. And are really easy to maintain.

Come to think of it. Who has got this setup on a Nova? I know ive seen the calipers used somewhere. Id strongly suggest it to anyone thinking about a rear disk setup.

Also, ive got a rear disk setup, without handbrake cable. Whats it worth? I was going to give it away eventually on here.

Dan
18-02-11, 10:29 AM
Ive never been a great fan of rear discs and always maintained drums are more than fine. With the current car i run it came with discs, so i was lazy and thought i would see how they reacted as its only a track toy. Tbh they have never locked up (although with my wheel/tyre config helps this greatly I presume). I just used the regulator off of one of the van models. Most read 3/40 or 3/35, mine is a 3/25

Adam
18-02-11, 12:20 PM
Ive never had issues with the rear drums on mine on track....

Rickardo
18-02-11, 12:58 PM
Braking is for women anyway.

MattBrown
18-02-11, 01:32 PM
I ran 3/27 valves for about 2 weeks.

Never drove it like a hooligan but didn't have any issues with locking up.

I was however on brand new front brakes, and older rears?

Maybe run a thinner disk on the back, to get the fronts stopping then the rears come in?

Benn
18-02-11, 06:42 PM

I agree, I've broken as hard as i can from 50 and had nothing on the back move.
That was on a std set up with 284mm on the front.

I now have a single line to the rear to get a better pedal feel with 4pots on the front and can stamp on them and have no prob.

nova_stee
18-02-11, 08:33 PM
yeah makes them crap to drive even with a adjustable valve there not right.

mowgli
18-02-11, 09:00 PM
I ran 3/27 valves for about 2 weeks.

Never drove it like a hooligan but didn't have any issues with locking up.

I was however on brand new front brakes, and older rears?

Maybe run a thinner disk on the back, to get the fronts stopping then the rears come in?

1. i thought you drove like a hooligan and got locked up
2. a thinner disk will actually get more braking effect cos the heat will build up quicker......