PDA

View Full Version : Coolant temp sensor - XE

Spudly
16-02-11, 06:57 PM
Right just wondering and wanting info at the mo peeps, my cav seems to take ages to run up to temp, always blows warm/hot air once the needle has started to rise, but it will usually stay in the blue (blowers on at lowest setting) however if i dont use my blowers and allow it to just get hot, the temp gauge will rise to three quarters (before i get scared and turn it off, or take it down a long road to cool it down again) the fan does cut in but doesnt seem to want to do so until about three quarters on the guage.

Is this normal or am i going to be right in thinking a new cts would stop it getting so hot?

Andy
16-02-11, 07:00 PM
sounds about right really
cts controls the fuel,as in if its cold,it hoys more fuel,hot-less fuel etc
Change the stat,see if thats any different,got a 50mile old one here you can have if ya like?

MK999
16-02-11, 07:00 PM
Your thermostat be deaded. It's rising so much before the fan kicks in, because it's not circulating to the rad.

However as per any vauxhall, it needs a new CTS to read the temp correctly too lol

Andy
16-02-11, 07:04 PM
Your thermostat be deaded. It's rising so much before the fan kicks in, because it's not circulating to the rad.

However as per any vauxhall, it needs a new CTS to read the temp correctly too lol
Mine my 16v and my 8v 2.0 used to do as he described with brand new stats and cts's??
Strange,anyway vauxhall clocks tell lies lol

MK999
16-02-11, 07:05 PM
Mine my 16v and my 8v 2.0 used to do as he described with brand new stats and cts's??
Strange,anyway vauxhall clocks tell lies lol

Every engine I have had has read like that, until it got the CTS and contacts cleaned up/replaced, even the isuzu! It catches the Vaux bug from the chassis lol

edit: By that I mean reading in the blue when warm (when it should read a quarter) and never going above half even when steaming hot, with a brokened stat or sat in traffic on a hot day with the fan struggling etc

Spudly
16-02-11, 07:07 PM
Lol so youd say to change both and see if it does anything for it then, the stats on the front in the top rad hose aint it (well in the block just before it)

Andy
16-02-11, 07:07 PM
Every engine I have had has read like that, until it got the CTS and contacts cleaned up/replaced, even the isuzu! It catches the Vaux bug from the chassis lol
I think theyre whats known as "factory fukked" in t' trade lol

MK999
16-02-11, 07:09 PM
Lol so youd say to change both and see if it does anything for it then, the stats on the front in the top rad hose aint it (well in the block just before it)

On any engine I've ever worked on yeah, can't see the XE being different, follow the blue wire for CTS obviously :)

AlexW
16-02-11, 07:10 PM
Stat is yeah, The dash sensor is different to the CTS, Might as well replace it aswell though. CTS is about £8 from vauxhall, The dash sensor is about a fiver iirc.

I refer the CTS to the blue plug, two wire item that is for ECU.

Spudly
16-02-11, 07:12 PM
Err i thought the cts was screwed into the side of the rad:tard:

AlexW
16-02-11, 07:14 PM
Your thinking Rad fan switch.

Andy
16-02-11, 07:14 PM
No,thats your fan switch,the cts is screwed into the stat housing,the little one next to it tells the clocks the temp,the cts signals the ecu to add fuel according to your coolant temperature as i said

Spudly
16-02-11, 07:15 PM
Oh aye i remember now id forgotten about that dur lol

Ya reckon it be worth changing them both then and see if my fuel economy goes up a bit aswell:d

MK999
16-02-11, 07:15 PM

That's the rad fan switch, although it does sense coolant temperature to do that, same as the dash sensor, and the ECU CTS apparently, all my engines have only had the one CTS to service dash/ECU lol

AlexW
16-02-11, 07:20 PM
Mark, petrol engines will have two sensors, single one for gauge and twin one for ECU, your derv will only have the one sensor though I guess lol

MK999
16-02-11, 07:29 PM
Mark, petrol engines will have two sensors, single one for gauge and twin one for ECU, your derv will only have the one sensor though I guess lol

My 1.6 and 1.2i only ever had a single too afaik.

Derv has no ecu obviously.

AlexW
16-02-11, 07:30 PM
They deffo had two sensors.

1.2's have the small single one on the left of the inlet, and then the twin one on the back/underside iirc.

bmw156
16-02-11, 08:19 PM
just a quick high jack
what colour on the wiring (two wires) for the cts plug is the ground/earth?

thankssss

AlexW
16-02-11, 08:53 PM
Both of them go back to the ECU iirc. No idea which way around it is.

Spudly
21-02-11, 06:58 PM
Another question on this theme, its always had a bit of a dribble of coolant from the top rad hose and this morning it manifested itself as a nice jet squirting coolant onto my exhaust manifold, turns out it was a pinhole on the plastic part of the rad and not the pipe:eek:

Tin of 'wynns' coolant sealer later and a good blast, no leak and she warms up nicely and sits about/just under a quarter on the guage which is higher than it used to, and warms up much faster.

Would the slight coolant leak have been the cause of the slow warmup/low running temp or have i buggered something by using the radweld type stuff lol

AlexW
21-02-11, 07:43 PM
Yes, Leak could of been the cause.

MK999
21-02-11, 07:50 PM
Warms up faster with a leak as there's less coolant around to heat.

Plus you almost always bugger something up using radweld type stuff :p I would have stuck the pipe/jubilee over the hole and sealed it

Spudly
21-02-11, 07:59 PM
Couldnt have done that as it was on the plastic housing and not the bit the pipe goes onto, im getting a rad off my mate cheap but this is just a temporary repair for now, it seems much better, and i also noticed the rubber pipe onto the SFi box had partly come off so it was getting unmetered air into it, tickover sits at about 8-900 rpm now and not 1k as it was before, bonus:d

hendrix
21-02-11, 10:10 PM
got a 'cool running' stat here somewher if you want it potato head