PDA

View Full Version : Engine Rebuild Costs

chimp007_uk
16-02-11, 12:44 PM
After doing Bedford in October, and the dropping oil pressure (and the leak on all 4 cylinders :() I need to rebuild my c20xe so I can get out and do some trackdays this year... (Can't believe it's Feb already!!)

Anyway, 2 options are:

- Rebuild myself, which has many a problem. My car is in St. Albans and I live in Coventry now. I have no where to store the engine in Cov, so would involve a week of work and getting the engine out, weld and paint the engine bay, engine rebuild etc.

-Get someone to rebuild the engine... Then I could take a weekend to get the engine out and tidy the bay.

Not having rebuilt a c20xe before, what are the parts costs? and what money would it cost to have the work done?

Looking at a standard rebuild atm. until I can assess finances (car needs bodywork too).

Trying to weigh up my options so I can get things rolling, don't want to miss the year!

Thanks,
Chris.

honie5
16-02-11, 12:55 PM
im currently rebuilding mine and im currently at about £250 thats for full gasket set all seals, headbolts, leads, piston rings, big end bearings, oil, filters, water pump, plugs the works basically! still need a camshaft kit so if you want to do it properly it is pricey just depends if you want to shell out for labour but then if you havnt done a rebuild before thats probley safest option but you gotta learn at some point just remember how everything came off and where it goes!

krobinson
16-02-11, 01:01 PM
I'd budget 1k to do it properly, new pistons, rings, bearings, gaskets, pumps (genuine) etc.

Southie
16-02-11, 01:06 PM
Anything in this thread any use? >LINK (http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158158)<

iceni
16-02-11, 03:43 PM
at the moment i'm pricing the re-build of a Frontera 2.4 CIH engine to go into one of my customers Mantas.

Apart from the normal checks on the head etc it's going to be cc'd, manifolds matched, blended ports, mild road cam and bottom end balance.

With all new parts and gaskets i'm looking in the region of 2.5k plus putting it together.

If your serious at doing track days then buy the best you can otherwise you'll get halfway through your first lap and it will let go.

Anyone who says they can build a track day XE motor for less that a 1.5 k is talking bull crap unless they are getting the parts for nothing

A proper bulit engine will last you a season as long as you look after it

Cheers
Andy

Dayle_
16-02-11, 05:54 PM
Have a look here for rebuild parts they are very reasonably priced and seem to do alot for the C20XE http://www.trechii.com/default.asp

clubberlang23
16-02-11, 06:17 PM
Im currantly rebuilding my 1.3 sr engine, price at £480 just for parts and machining! Thats new pistons and rings, rebore, big end bearings and shells, reground crank, oil pump, fuel pump, lifters and rockers and gaskets!

Mincyballs
17-02-11, 09:03 AM
TBH it depends on the state of your engine:

Starting at the top
Head bolts
Head set including head gasket
depending on age cam belt idler and tesioner bolts
Cam belt
New rings
Big end bearings
Main Bearings
Thrust Bearings
Bottom end gaskets
Crank seals
oil
plugs
Filter
HT Leads

You may need to get the jounals polished which is another cost.

Whilst its apart having a look at the clutch and a gearbox rebuild.

chimp007_uk
17-02-11, 12:19 PM
at the moment i'm pricing the re-build of a Frontera 2.4 CIH engine to go into one of my customers Mantas.

Apart from the normal checks on the head etc it's going to be cc'd, manifolds matched, blended ports, mild road cam and bottom end balance.

With all new parts and gaskets i'm looking in the region of 2.5k plus putting it together.

If your serious at doing track days then buy the best you can otherwise you'll get halfway through your first lap and it will let go.

Anyone who says they can build a track day XE motor for less that a 1.5 k is talking bull crap unless they are getting the parts for nothing

A proper bulit engine will last you a season as long as you look after it

Cheers
Andy

You don't want a manta for that engine ;) Good price!

Appreciate all the replies! I've re-built a couple of engines years ago at uni, but was more interested in general costs.
I'd have to take a week off work to re-build it, so was weighing up whether or not to pay and get it done if it was sensible money.
It's a shame I don't have access to somewhere, where I can re-build it at my leisure :(

I'll be changing the clutch anyway and most likely looking at a lightened flywheel to go with. Gearbox is ok, smooth as, will change the gaskets and probably the seals whilst it's off.

Dayle_
17-02-11, 04:20 PM
Starting at the top
Head bolts (£6)
Head set including head gasket (£24 for Payen full set)
Cam belt kit (£80 for gates one)
New rings (£45)
Big end bearings (£16)
Main Bearings (£20)
Thrust Bearings (£7?)
Sump gasket (£8)
Crank seals (£16 for both)
oil (£14)
plugs (£16)
Filter (£14)
HT Leads (£20)

£270???

Plus any machining costs.

philip
20-02-11, 01:31 PM
trechii is a bag of ****, payen is also ****.

elring/victor rienz headsets £38ish
elring/victor rienz sump sets £35ish
headbolts £10
rings (mahle, tarrabusa, ae) £45-60
decent big ends glyco £18 - acl £28ish
mains mahle £28ish acl £40ish (i think)
thrust bearings on the centre main bearing so obv cant get them seperate.
water pump £30
oil pump - rebuild original
late belt kit £65ish, early £90 (gates)

payen gaskets are poor quality best head gasket is a geotze but victor gaskets never had a prob with though. buy decent parts not ****e it pays off.

Gareth_C
20-02-11, 01:47 PM
Tbh mate it depends on what you want and what is wrong with the engine.
If your unsure about what yo need and price wise. Drop the engine out and take it to a decent engineer establishment.
Because if you go buying everything know to man it might not be needed.
I have used trechhi gear before its all FAI gaskets which arnt top of the range but a good budget. the only thing I would suggest to buy a O.E oil pump. Or look for a reconned engine already done

philip
20-02-11, 02:06 PM
re-conned arent always good, unless from a well established builder with receipt then its no good, it ****s me off when see peeple selling a 'rebuilt engine' but have no receipts or a 2.1xe for £500 when infact pistons alone would cost that, so thats another bull**** seller..

chimp007_uk
02-03-11, 12:22 PM
Appreciate everyone's input! Food for thought, as I might well look at performance mods whilst rebuilding. Sdaly though for the time being, I'm going to have to sideline the nova due to daily driver problems.

Who said VW Golf's were reliable!?!?! cost me a fortune in the last 6months! and its green :tard: :wtf:

comptoncj
02-03-11, 01:13 PM
Im currently rebuilding a 20xe and planning to use it for fast road/track spec, My build costs are currently at £500 for parts, (oil pump, big end bearings, main bearings, head gasket set, head bolts, sump gasket set, arp rod bolts, GM main bearing bolts, flywheel bolts and cambelt kit. I could have paid less for cheaper parts but if you are giving it some stick you should go for good quality gaskets etc.

mowgli
02-03-11, 04:09 PM
Who said VW Golf's were reliable!?!?! cost me a fortune in the last 6months! and its green :tard: :wtf:
an ad agency employed by VAG as a guess..... old golfs are a bag of shyte unless you throw money at them....just like novas

chimp007_uk
07-03-11, 12:58 PM
an ad agency employed by VAG as a guess..... old golfs are a bag of shyte unless you throw money at them....just like novas

Mine's getting old... It's a MK4 :(

Good news it's back on the road! Bad news, the garage misdiagnosed the gearbox problem, so I now have a spare gearbox I don't need and they binned my old steering rack so I can't get my surcharge back!! :mad:

16v Nova Kev
07-03-11, 02:31 PM
re-conned arent always good, unless from a well established builder with receipt then its no good, it ****s me off when see peeple selling a 'rebuilt engine' but have no receipts or a 2.1xe for £500 when infact pistons alone would cost that, so thats another bull**** seller..

just saw this after i texted you how random:thumb: .

lol at some of the rebuild costs. my track car doesent even owe me 1k but you need get some bargins